PDA

View Full Version : Nik Nik in Hawaii!!

Platypus
06-16-2005, 01:54 PM
For most 7 year old boys, summer holidays entail of lazy days off school and playing with friends in the neighborhood, but for Nicholas Bettua, his summer neighborhood is a place called Hawaii and his days are far from lazy!!

Spending the summer with his dad, Rick, can't be anything short of exciting and adventurous, and this year their plans of Nik Nik landing his very first fish was goal number 1. So off they went on an overnighter with his Uncle Daryl to see if they can accomplish this goal.

The pictures speak for themselves as Nik Nik's very first fish he has ever caught just so happened to be a 200lb Blue Marlin!! Grown men (and women! ;) ) dream of landing such a fish, and here we have this 7 year old man accomplishing a feat that some of us may never get the chance to!! Way to go Nik! Must be the genes!! ;) I am sure that Rick will chime in and give us more details, or maybe we will even get some comments from the MAN himself?! :D :D
If his first fish hook and lined is a 200lb Marlin, I wonder what his first speared fish will be?? :D

Platypus
06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
:D

biggsy
06-16-2005, 02:09 PM
That's an awesome first fish and a proud poppa to boot. Nice to see families getting out together and passing on things they love in hopes they find the same enjoyment.

Nice job!

ROCK BOTTOM
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Very nice! Congrats Nik Nik.

Zz

apexpredator
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
That is a seriously freakin' awesome marlin there little Nicky. You rock!!

bluewaterdreams
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Awesome first fish. Hes hooked for life

Go Deep or Go Home!

Aimrite
06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Aloha Everyone

Thanks Platy for putting Niks picture up! Well just when you think you are losing your seven year olds attention a mirricle can happen! Hopefully everyone has an Uncle Daryl (Wong) with great patients he found a nice bird pile on the 1000 fathom ledge and told Nicholas to get ready, sure enough a nice marlin jumped on our favorite lure (Crackhead) on the short corner and was going going gone! Nik-a-roo had his hands full for about :25 and was thanking god for 2-Speed reels :) Angela is right, we wonder too what his first fish shot will be? Stay tuned he has six more weeks of vacation in Hawaii!

stainlessdeath
06-16-2005, 09:21 PM
That is way cool!

LwrKzUndrH2OHunter
06-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice fish dude! The only billfish I've ever caught was a 80# sailfish, I'm jealous. What a great place to spend a summer....I wanna go!

inletsurf
06-17-2005, 11:57 PM
stoked to be growing up in hawaii. what a childhood that must be. awesome!

Judge
06-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks Angela for the post and pics. Well done to Nik...and coach. I dig these sort of stories.
Judge

ScottZeagle
06-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Congrats Nik!!!!

Rick, you must be beaming!!!! You look like a pretty proud poppa in those pics!!!! ;)

Have a great vacation, Nik!!!

Scott

rmo8jlt69
06-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Nice Blue, I would be a very proud father, But one question. why did you keep it? Its not necessary to keep that fish, with fiberglass mounting there is no need to keep a beautiful fish like that. I am happy to see a good father passing on the great sport of fishing to his offspring, but you should also explain conservation and tell hem if he would have thrown it back he could have caught it again when it was bigger. I am not telling you how to raise your children or how to fish, I am shure you are a great fisherman and a good father, just giving some good advice.

Aimrite
06-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Aloha

Well as I do appriciate your comments on teaching my son conservation remember that preaching is still preaching! What may be good for the Atlantic Marine Fisheries does not constitute what is right over 6000 miles away! What is not table fair in some parts of the world is considered to be a delicacy in other regions. Here is a typical case in point on the East Coast you catch or shoot Amberjack (Kahala) here we consider them junk and it is frowned upon to shot or kill what you and your family cannot eat.

As far as what lesson I taught my son, I taught him to respect what he catches and that his first fish caught should be shared with all our friends and nieghbors for all that they do to us!

Sportfishing associations crack me up! How many White Marlin and Sailfish are hooked up in your area on pitching a live bait or ballyhoo?? How many of those fish are "gut hooked"? But yet Atlantic Sportfisherman release the catch and lie to there clients "oh it will be ok we'll catch her tomorrow". Now that is wasting a valuable resource!!!

Last note, funny how Atlantic Sportfisherman seem to never talk of the taste of marlin or say it is not good tablefair. How can that be, these beautiful fish swim around eating Tuna, Wahoo and Mahi Mahi! I would say just the opposite it is excellent and when smoked it is out of this world good!

rigdvr
06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Well said Rick.

Spearo_Fla
07-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Rick, quite preaching and put a band-aid on your finger!