PDA

View Full Version : Dive boat crew member dies in apparent drowning

deepstops
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/breaking_news/11948898.htm

Dive boat crew member dies in apparent drowning

By KENDRA MARR

browardnews@herald.com

A 34-year-old crew member on a private dive boat died Monday night in the Bahamas.
D.J. Pottorf was aboard the Nekton Rorqual, anchored at Orange Cay. During a break, Pottorf decided to ''free dive'' by diving under water without scuba equipment, according to his employer, Nekton Diving Cruises.
Witnesses on the boat told Fort Lauderdale police they found Pottorf unresponsive in the water and tried to revive him with CPR and other first-aid efforts, without success. He died at about 5:30 p.m., according to Nekton Diving Cruises.
Fort Lauderdale police responded to the 7 a.m. call Monday when the boat returned to the dock at 2150 SE 17th St. in Fort Lauderdale.
His body was taken to the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.

biggsy
06-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Sounds like SWB.

richhermes
06-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Nekton. They are big DAN sponsors. I think they do some research for them too.

morey_b
06-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Like biggsy said, SWB most likely the cause. I never push myself when freediving alone, its just too dangerous.

Old Bateman
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
This seems to be a really first class operation. I'm surprised at this death. Here's their link: http://www.nektoncruises.com/
Someday we'll upgrade to this boat for the middle grounds. ;)

OceanEd
06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Rick:

They are a first class operation. I have been onboard down in Exuma and seen how it works. Good boat and well trained crew.

Unfortunately, even with a great operation and a first class crew, they can still have diving accidents. No matter how safe any diving operation tries to be, we still are in a sport that is not completely safe.

jfjf
06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
The guy dies at 5;30 pm and they drive his body to florida and tell the police about it the next morning? Wonder if he was freediving alone?

spider
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Just goes to show that it can happen to anybody.Dive safe everyone.Its sad to hear when things like that happen.

apexpredator
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
My condolences go out to the family and his friends. Very sad to hear about these type of accidents. SWB may have been the cause but other causes could have led to the accident as well. Remember to dive with a buddy.

RiskTaker
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Shallow Water Blackout -

Yeah, I would rather SOLO dive in the recreational zone with SCUBA, than I would to Snorkle alone and push the easy comfort Zone.

Shallow Water Blackout is a real phenomenon that you do not have much of a choice with. If you consume your O2 supply in a breathhold and come back up through the water column, you could go hypoxic (PO2 < .10~ and pass out before your next breathe has a chance to re-oxygenate your system.

This happened to a buddy of mine. He decided to make a free dive to 72 FSW to pick up a starfish. I could see that he was quite anxious to get a breath of air as he ripped off his mask at about 10FSW. He shot about 2-3 ft. out of the water and you could hear him take a big breath. Then he proceded to fall back into the water and start to sink. Fortunately, I was there and grabbed him as soon as I saw that he was not alright, and pulled him above the surface. He revived real quick sice he was able to get that one breath. But he drank a lot of saltwater and felt ill for several hours after that, likely due to the seawater ingestion.

Buddies are good to have around. But in my opinion, there is no SIN in solo diving to as long as you are not pushing the envelope and you are comfortable with the Risk of diving alone. (But snorkling, spearfishing, overhead diving and decompression diving should really be done with another "brain" along. ) RT

OceanEd
07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I will scuba alone and do on different occasions. I also think that every time I am diving with an Open Water class I might as well be diving alone because they probably could not help me.

I don't freedive alone, however. SWB is always in the back of my mind so I will only dive as deep as my buddy can dive. Sometimes I am with someone who can only dive to 30ft so we set that as the limit. Othertimes I will dive with someone who is comfortable diving to 70ft. so we use that as our limit. The bottom line is that I feel comfortable freediving to depths where I know my buddy could dive down and haul me up if necessary.

I tried freediving alone on several occasions on our last trip to the Bahamas and I really didn't feel comfortable doing it. That surprised me, but I have learned to listen to my instincts.

JAW
07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Just because your budy can dive to 70 or 100 ft doesn't mean they can haul up 200lbs from that depth, or they will even be paying attention. So always be careful not to push your limits.