PDA

View Full Version : Gun Attached to you?

LSUTigershark
08-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Moderate experience level at Gulf Rigs. (30+ dives)

Do you hunt with your gun attached to you? I know a lot of spearos have the shaft attached to a riding rig and after shooting just throw the bands around the shoulders. I suppose if you have a short line and shackle you could just as easily shoot then drop the gun while controlling the fish, doesn't seem more dangerous..I used to have the cable attached to the muzzle of my JBL with a breakaway shackles there and where the gun attached to the D ring of my BC...with my Riffe I have the riding rig courtesy of Chag's.

Input?? BrinG Thu NoiZe...

lionfish
08-17-2005, 04:32 PM
in my limited experience, anything that adds an entanglement hazard is a no go. if your riding rig gets tangled with the "gun line" now you are connected to the fish, NOT a good thing :eek:
if the line gets snagged on the gun with the bands around your shoulder you can slip your arm out and presto your gun is gone but at least you get to tell the story

with the bands around your shoulder the gun floats harmlessly behind/above you(most of the time) as you are dragged around. with a line the gun might get hung in the structure,also NOT good.

fwiw
Leo

p.s. the gun line would also make those tricky over-the-shoulder shots impossible :D

chasintail
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Picture this....You at 170 and shoot a 100 pound AJ.The rig your on is 800ft deep.The AJ bolts and is dragging you with it,you finally get it stoped and are hanging on for dear life at 240 in a fog of narcosis.Just then a 12 tiger grabs your AJ.Bye Bye brother.Never attach the gun to your body.Stick with the riding rig.

ROCK BOTTOM
08-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Roger on the riding rig. The wife shot a fish at 190 fsw and got drug down to 220+ fsw. She lost a $650 Wong speargun because she didn't have a riding rig. I didn't expect her to dive so deep and I wouldn't have let her shoot the fish without a riding rig. But she did.....

Zz

Wayward Son
08-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I agree, I wouldn't want a gun attached to me. I do have a short line tied to a heavy brass snap swivel, but it's not for use while hunting. It's to secure the gun when I need my hands free but can't set it down.

LSUTigershark
08-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Roger on the riding rig. The wife shot a fish at 190 fsw and got drug down to 220+ fsw. She lost a $650 Wong speargun because she didn't have a riding rig. I didn't expect her to dive so deep and I wouldn't have let her shoot the fish without a riding rig. But she did.....

Zz

Brutha, I'm still trying to get my wife down to 10 FSW, much less shooting fish at 190!! That's awesome...except for the Wong...

LSUTigershark
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
I agree, I wouldn't want a gun attached to me. I do have a short line tied to a heavy brass snap swivel, but it's not for use while hunting. It's to secure the gun when I need my hands free but can't set it down.

That's a good idea (along with the other good points in the other posts) something simply just to hold the gun when not shooting...

Wayward Son
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I'll see if I can get a couple of pics & post them this weekend, explain what I do.

lionfish
08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
be sure you clip any line to the floating end of the gun, you dont want to end up with this...

:eek:

Lefty
08-18-2005, 12:55 PM
I have a clip on my bc I use to park my gun on the way up or if I need 2 hands for some reason. Bands over the shoulder is best though when wrestling a fish since the gun floats (usually) up and behind you. Don't want it dragging on the bottom stirring it up. My .02.

x-ring
08-18-2005, 01:00 PM
anyone got pics of a riding rig? Pics of it in use would also be cool.

FredT
08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Moderate experience level at Gulf Rigs. (30+ dives)

Do you hunt with your gun attached to you?

I used to have the cable attached to the muzzle of my JBL with a breakaway shackles there and where the gun attached to the D ring of my BC...with my Riffe I have the riding rig courtesy of Chag's.

Input?? BrinG Thu NoiZe...

Not this lifetime! NEVER attach the gun to you, no matter where you are hunting.

Attaching the line to the muzzle is also a bad thing. When you REALLY need to let the line go the induced current from the fish dragging your ass through the water is way too high for you to climb the gun to get loose from the shaft!!! Attaching the gun to yor BC simply lets you loose both the gun and the BC, if you are lucky enough to survive to tell the tale.

FT

Wayward Son
08-21-2005, 08:41 PM
This is clipped for hunting:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/pictures/gunclip.jpg

Having the line tied to the guard, it's important to place the clip behind the line, between it and the grip. If it gets clipped in front of the line, it can slide all the way up to the line release & get in the way if you turn the gun over while reloading.

When I need my hands free, I unlip from the grip and clip off to whatever is appropriate. BC, drop line, anchor line.

The Biller has this handy guard for tying off to. The clip is big enough to fit on it. On guns without something like this, just have a bit of exposed loop where the line attaches to the gun, however that is done. Then you can just clip to that loop while hunting to keep it up & out of the way.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/pictures/gunclip2.jpg

LSUTigershark
08-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey,

Thanks All for the tips. There is an older thread from the upper gulf coast area called "spear tips for rig diving" which you can get to through google but not spearboard directly (don't ask me, I'm not a tech dork) which has some picture of rigging posted by different members...

zeN
08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Well, if you are shooting big fish attached to your wrist may be a no-no, however this is one reason why you carry a knife, to cut away if you do get dragged zeN

Bayou
08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey LSU,
Just wondering if you know how much Chags charges for the Riffe MT3's with a riding rig? I haven't been there in years, but will be flying out of New Orleans for the LSU/Vandy game. I just made my own rigs for my JBL's...but figured I'd give them a try since they're probably better than my junk!
Thanks,
Bayou

LSUTigershark
08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm guessing around $330? That sounds about right. Been a while so I don't recall exactly. Sammy's got the hookup over there. I'm starting to think that in the world of spearfishing, nothing more deadly than home depot and a devious mind.

I wonder how much pound load a 40 pound AJ or grouper pulls??? Any suggestions from the tech guys??

lionfish
08-23-2005, 09:53 PM
ask em yourself...
http://www.chags.com/Scuba/scuba.html

Leo

scubadds
09-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I have lost one to many spearguns, I use the "curly" cord type attachement.
The storebought type, probably for lights etc.

It has a mickey mouse like plastic clip, it is strong enought that you will know if it breaks. But in a situation, I believe that I could yank it right off.
Not to say this is the best thing, its just what I am presently doing.

Steve Bennett
09-22-2005, 03:42 PM
After watching Surface this week, I'll never clip another gun to me. lol