PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Shafts

Reefrat
05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Reading Hectors post on spearing pigs got me to thinking why couldnt you build a shaft from carbon like the ones I shoot with my bow?

I'm sure there has to be pros & cons to it and was wondering what you guys thought.

Stone
05-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Can you make a carbon shaft as heavy as a steel?

100days-a-year
05-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Lo mass equals rapid speed loss vs steel.The higher initial speed might make up for it for the distances were use.If they work you have the market to yourself.

junior
05-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Aren't carbon shafts a little easier to shatter? Seems like a big grouper in a hole might snap the thing like a twig?

Reefrat
05-09-2003, 06:46 AM
that and how would it fly through water are two questions . Ive got about a dozen carbon blanks i plan to play with this weekend.

Kasshia
05-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Is a carbon shaft going to be strong enough, without shearing off, for the trigger assenbly to hold it? I would think the more rapid loss of kinetic energy, as compared to a steel shaft, would be detrimental unless you are shooting at really close range.

Spearooo
05-16-2003, 11:49 AM
I have seen in European Mags shafts that are made of steel and wrapped in carbon.They are supposed to be stiffer and lighter letting you get the best of both worlds. They say that the shaft shoots farther and straighter. I have been wanting to check one out for awhile but I haven't found a place that has them. It sound like they might be the wave of the future if they get around to making them avilable to divers here in the US and in a diffrent configurations. I think they call them carbininox. has anyone out there shot one of these.

Reefrat
05-16-2003, 12:31 PM
hollow shafts dont seem to be the way to go. They are very flexible and tough as hell but if the ends split they splinter down the length.
I'm looking for a place to get solid shafts so i can try them and play around with them.

Speargun
05-16-2003, 01:08 PM
I see the following reason as why carbon shafts wouldn't be good for spearfishing. I couldn't think of any pros.

1) Lighter weight = less kinetic energy
An arrow that is lighter, but has the same cross section & coefficient of drag as a heavier arrow, will FLY farther given the same thrust. The problem we run into is that water is so much denser than air. There is a formula that airplane designers use to determine the relationship between thrust, weight, & drag. There is a point you need either more thrust and/or more weight (i.e. kinetic energy) to overcome the drag.

2) Spring steel BENDS.
So does carbon, but only to a point, then it shatters. Even a small nick will cause a shear point. With the right tools, you can straighten a steel shaft.

3) Carbon/Kevlar/Composite materials absorb water over time causing de-lamination.

4) Carbon shafts cost more.

Just my .02

kabo123
05-25-2003, 04:57 AM
they make a carbon wrapped shaft. the only bonus is its lighter
a straight carbon shaft would not have any penetrating power, but should fly forever, f you can keep the whip down.