PDA

View Full Version : Tortugas Question?

otter
05-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Seems to me that the Playmate has a monopoly down in the keys. There's not any other boats that charter for spearo's. Anybody know of any other boat's that have charter opporations in the keys, maybe even a fishing boat that might want to do a Tortuga trip? I have a friend that lives in Big Pine Key and he was telling me recently that alot of the area around the Tortugas has been closed to all fishing. Does anybody have any comments on this? I have never hunted in that area and want to make sure I get a chance before the commercial guys deplete it. I want a 50lb. king on my belt, and heard this is a good place to look. Any Tortuga info is greatly appriciated.

WreckDiver
05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Try this clickable map, no take zones are marked.
http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/research_monitoring/map.html

otter
05-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Bugged. Good info to know if I go privately down there, which is probably going to be the case. Another question I have for you Tortuga gurus, is has anyone ever camped on the Fort. I went on the park web site and they say you can reserve sites, but I bet there's waiting list as deep as the Marianas trench.

mhuskey
05-11-2003, 07:45 PM
otter - Camping at the Fort is really rustic at best - it is nothing more than a patch of sand and a couple of picnick tables. If my memory is right they only have chemical toilits and no showers. We stay on the boat when we go and skip the whole staying at the park. The rangers can be a real pain in the ass - they are bad enough when you are anchored out I can only image what grief you would get in their back yard. I.E. - when you are inside the park - you are not allowed in the water if you have speared fish on the boat. Don't get me wrong it is a great place to dive and shoot - lots of big fish and even with the larger park area there is still plenty of good areas to shoot. I hope this helps.

Matt

deepfish
05-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Check out Capt. Jeff Hunter's operation. It leaves out of Ft Myers Beach. I did mini-season with him a few years ago in the Tortugas and had a blast. He runs a pair of sweet 40'+ custom boats and only takes 4 divers. He mixes nitrox right on the deck and runs the a/c at night. Meals were included. The price was the same as the Ultimate Getaway and you had to deal with 20 less divers. He told us upfront that the trip would consist of whatever WE wanted to do. We ended up NOT going to the Fort, shooting fish in the DT and then running over to Rebecca Shoal to find buggier places. Ended up doing like 19 dives in 3 1/2 days.

Headhunter Adventures
941-477-6668

Faust
05-11-2003, 07:58 PM
As of 3 weeks ago Ft Jefferson was closed to all camping. Parks services told us that they were having a sewer problem, but they were still issuing pertmits to anchor.but like Matt said its a great place to dive and spear but ya really want to be careful where ya do it.from what ive been told the fines for being caught with speared fish in the area are the same as what would happen to ya in the keys.

otter
05-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks for info everybody. It's great to learn about problems incounterd without going trough them yourself, maybe even ending up in jail. You know the old saying ignorense is no excuse to break the law boy. Charter service it is.