PDA

View Full Version : Longliner Fun Word of The Day

junior
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
SNUB (also commonly called horn or crucify)

Fish is removed from the longline hook by force: the fish is held in place with a gaff braced against two parallel steel cylinders placed vertically on the gunwale, allowing the hydraulic hauler to pull the hook through the fish’s flesh. This process can inflict severe injury to the fish.

A Final Report titled Selectivity and Survival of Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) [and Haddock (Melangrammus aeglefinus)] in the Northwest Atlantic Longline Fishery was conducted by Marianne Farrington, Arne Carr, Michael Pol, and Mark Szymanski for the New England Aquarium and Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries from May 1998 to September 2002. The conclusions of this stucy indicated that approximately 72% of snubbed fish died.

The following is an excerpt from the final report.

Although the commercial longline fishery has been touted as a clean, low impact fishing practice, some longline fishermen and biologists have expressed concern regarding the use of a mechanical hook removal component called the “crucifier”. This device usually consists of two parallel steel cylinders placed vertically on the gunwale. The longline passes through the freely rotating cylinders during the haul back of gear. Unwanted fish are removed from the gear by laying a gaff handle across the rollers, which “snub” them from the hook. That is, the fish are blocked and the hooks are pulled out of them by the action of the hydraulic hauler. These fish fall directly back into the ocean. Injuries can range from superficial to the entire jaw being ripped out from one side (Farrington et al., 1998). The injury, if significant, has been shown to diminish the 72 hour survival of the juvenile cod bycatch (Farrington et al., 1998).

The report is available here:

Final Report (http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/programsandprojects/conseng/cod_haddock_report.pdf)

Below is a photo of a spiny dogfish being mechanically removed from a longline.

Denny
10-10-2005, 06:00 AM
That's brutal. No wonder cod are in so much trouble.

junior
10-10-2005, 07:56 AM
It's not just cod my friend. But, I am having a hard time digging up studies directly related to grouper in the gulf. I imagine this practice is utilized in most longline applications to expedite the removal of unwanted fish above and beyond what may be required for baiting the next set.

chasintail
10-10-2005, 03:38 PM
And we as spearfisherman are said to be blood thristy and cruel. :cussing: :bs: :soapbox:

CWitch
10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
SNUB (also commonly called horn or crucify)

[I]Although the commercial longline fishery has been touted as a clean, low impact fishing practice,.

WTF?

shane
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
And we as spearfisherman are said to be blood thristy and cruel. :cussing: :bs: :soapbox:

We are blood thirsty and cruel. We do it for fun while they do it for a living. The only thing i see wrong with it is the fact that this is done to by-catch and shorts!

junior
10-10-2005, 09:01 PM
The only thing i see wrong with it is the fact that this is done to by-catch and shorts!

For the record, that's my problem with it too.

Polystigma
10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Everyone needs to make a living, But thats just horrible. Longliners and commercial fishermen make me sick. :down:

normanhghntr
10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
yup me too, and i agree its the by-catch thats the problem not the fishing :mad:

Belzelbub
10-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Longliners and commercial fishermen make me sick. :down:

Longliners make me sick, too. But I have a great deal of respect for attended effort commercial fishermen. Think about it. The commercial spear and rod & reel fishermen out there have chosen a more selective method of fishing, when a more destructive, easier, more profitable method remains legal in the GOM.

Commercial fishermen fill a need, and my hat's off to those commercials who choose to fill that need in the most selective and least destructive ways possible.

bgbill
10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Everyone needs to make a living, But thats just horrible. Longliners and commercial fishermen make me sick. :down:

I agree Long Lining needs to go, but what is wrong with attended gear commercial fishing?

Are you some kind of fish hugger?

Mutt
10-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Hey PS,

No matter how u slice it, Longliners are going to get ya one way or another. They will make u sick when u start eating the soon to be super-tainted/ bio & chemoactive fish that all the seafood restaurants will be pushing soon! Sooner or later all the shit being dumped into the Gulf is going to make its way into all that savory commercial fish tissue. The question will soon become...Are these massive quantities of bio/ chemotoxins that are being and will continue to be ingested going to develop adaptation or cause some nasty sicknesses?