PDA

View Full Version : Ohau island site help

Bigfish2
12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I was in Ohau island about two weeks and I tried rockey shore here and there but I havn't seen any big fishes you guys showing in your pictures.

Anybody give me some tips on best spearfishing places around the ohau island.

I will be in the island again in January.

element
12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Anybody give me some tips on best spearfishing places around the ohau island.

Its spelt Oahu. The problem with Oahu is that there is a lot of fishing pressure so there isnt quite as many big fish around the reefs like you will see on the other islands. There are big fish around Oahu, but they are very skittish. (I lived on Oahu from 1998 - 2004.)

The best way to find the bigger fish is to have a long bottom time and wait for them to come in to you. The North Shore of Oahu has some good diving, but in January you will find the bigger swells up there so be real careful. Try the South side toward Makapuu and Goat Island, you might have better luck down there.

If you get a chance it would be worth the money to fly to Maui or the Big Isle. You will find bigger fish there.

Also try http://www.hawaiiskindiver.net as there are heaps of people on that forum who would take you to their spots. Just remember to show Aloha to the land and the local people and they in return will show you what the reefs have to offer.

Malama pono o ke kai