PDA

View Full Version : west end 5-27

fishhunta
05-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I thought by now one of the other guys would have posted it, but they didn't, so here it goes.
Spearboard members BFSC, conspearasea, and I left out of boynton inlet at 6 am and with relatively small seas, got to west end (64 miles) at 8:30. After customs and fuel, we made our way north diving the 50-70ft ledges. while all of us had great days freediving and spearing, conspearasea stole the show with a 45lb black grouper, 30+ lb grouper, many muttons, and other grouper.
we headed back around 4pm to face the perfect storm. If conspearasea didn't have to go to work, we probably would have stayed the night, but we made it back at around 8:30pm. the next morning i felt like i got run over by a train, but it was all worth it.
Details:
boat: 17ft cape horn
engine: four stroke yamaha 115 (burned 13 g on the way over)
fish: over 120lbs of grouper, 25lbs of mutton, five hogs, some random mangos, ect.
vis: usual bahamas 120+

oh yeah, NOAA can **** off and die, seas two feet or less my ass!! and i don't call the ****in perfect storm "isolated t-storms"

Dive4Blood
05-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Where's the wheelbarrow that you carry your balls in? Sixty four miles across the Atlantic in a 17' boat with a single outboard? DAMN!!!!! Sounds like a kick ass trip, I'd love to do one up with you, but like Sheriff Brodie in Jaws said, "I think we need a bigger boat!". Looking forward to the next Middlegrounds trip in August.

Am I going to get hooked up with VIP passes when you tour to support your future multi-platinum CD?

AJ Suarez

frogman
05-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Hats off to you guys getting these huge groupers and muttons to top it off with slings/polespears at 50-70fsw.
BTW, I agree with D4B, 17ft boat to make the crossing with 3 guys, gear, coolers and fuel is just plain nuts!!!

fishhunta
05-29-2003, 04:44 PM
yeah, it was a little rough for the small boat, but id do it again.
d4b, as for the cd, we're in the studio now, it's sounding pretty rediculous. I think im gonna send you a copy and let you use your articulate writing methods to conger up a spearboard cd review....

junior
05-29-2003, 05:07 PM
How do you like that Cape Horn? I almost bought the 21 footer or so that they make. It looks like it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

JaxShooter
05-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Great catch and tolerance to the conditions. Glad to see you made it home safe.

SLAYER
05-31-2003, 07:02 PM
i told you me and the boys have balls

kitefisherman
05-31-2003, 09:07 PM
I never doubted that Bryan - but like I told you earlier: "I'll miss you when you're dead"

Are you fishing the swordfish tournament next friday?

mushkee
05-31-2003, 09:39 PM
wow...but what did you use as your choice of arsenal...a 45lb black on a hawian sling, i doubt it...you sneaked in a gun...wow..this post gave me inspiration to take out my 21fter 200 four stroke yamaha to the west end...thinking of doing a overnighter returning the next day in the morning...or maybe 2 nighter..

Spearchucker
06-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah, Screename has some stories of 50# grouper he got with a (cough cough bullshit..) pole spear in the Bahamas.

fishhunta
06-01-2003, 05:44 PM
mushkee
i got $ for some of the expenses........and points!

conspearasea
06-02-2003, 01:10 AM
I love my cape horn. My next boat will be the 27 they make. My 17 runs like dream I can' t wait to get the big one. I sould start saving now.

conspearasea
06-02-2003, 01:29 AM
The black was 42#s and yes slings do kill fish. If you want we can meet up and have a sling off. Or we can chum and chunk a few miles off and see who stays in the water the longest. Set up some targets in a pool and work on your sling aim. That might be more productive than taking cheap shots at people you don't know on the net.

SLAYER
06-02-2003, 07:29 AM
well said mr. alexsand

conspearasea
06-02-2003, 11:08 PM
no joke if you want to go over some time let me know. we can take 1 or 2 boats. I also go to the keys sometimes.

mushkee
06-03-2003, 12:46 PM
conspear...
i was never taking shots at anyone...i've personally seen someone shoot a 50lb black with a sling....except it took off with it like nothing...thats why i would sneak in a gun if possible...and if a cop goes anywhere near my boat, ill let go of it and let it sink...

im really interested to go with you guys to the bahamas...im leaving to the keys for the whole month of july, so a little earlier...you guys are welcomed to stay at my families house in the keys for a couple days if you want...we got a seperate bedroom for friends...

fish hunta...
im down to go on a trip to the west end on my boat..but we gotta go on a calm day...cause the 8ft waves i've seen when i gone my boat cant take...well at least i cant handle that kind of driving....

Spearooo
06-03-2003, 02:33 PM
What size shaft do you guys prefer on the sling? For a while I was using a 6mm for speed a accuracy but eventually I went to and 8mm for stopping power. Can you post the story behind that black id get kick out of it. How far did you chase him? How bad was your shaft bent? how long do it take you to get him out of the hole? was it a stone shot?
I heard if you get caught with a gun over there youll get your boat taken, So i never risk it but it would be nice to take it.
later keep up the good reports guys:D

fishhunta
06-03-2003, 02:46 PM
boat taken......you'd go fox hill.....aka "hell"

SLAYER
06-03-2003, 10:37 PM
i was in the bahamas memorial day a little intocicated and look what i did with a sling..it was about 35#

Divin' fool
06-03-2003, 11:21 PM
We're heading to Walker's Cay on Friday....

Been to West End a few times... shot some of my biggest fish there. A single engine 17' boat across the Stream??? You guys must have grapefruits hanging.
I have seen some NASTY weather spring up between Florida and the islands..... one trip I thought we all were going to meet up at the great reef in the sky.....be careful. IMHO an Eperb would be a wise purchase before the next trip.

f94gator
06-04-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Spearchucker
Yeah, Screename has some stories of 50# grouper he got with a (cough cough bullshit..) pole spear in the Bahamas.

Screen? Full of shit? NOOOO!!!:D

Screen Name
06-04-2003, 06:50 AM
I never said 50 pounds. I said 56 pounds, 60.5 pounds, and 62 pounds. I never said "a polespear", I said two to three pole spears. Man, a guy has to fight for every inch around here! :D

And yes, that trip can get rough. We did 12' seas in a 21' boat on a Memorial day about 15 years ago, probably the scariest boat trip I ever had. The only time I've ever seen Bimini Harbor empty. The women were with us and refused to get back on the boat, they flew back on Chalks airline.

We very fortunate to have the Bahamas this close to us. Have a great trip Divin' fool. :D

conspearasea
06-05-2003, 02:50 PM
they have snapper in the islands? I guess so

conspearasea
06-05-2003, 02:54 PM
I guess it was worth the trip

keyspearfisher
06-05-2003, 04:51 PM
I didn't know they raised Holstein's on the Islands, thought it was all goats and chickens. Or is that a Herford?