PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Update 6/1

Blackfoot
06-02-2003, 03:00 PM
i met up with rick (from this board) and a couple of his buddies in La Jolla. we kicked out to the kelp beds (500 yards plus) and split up. i was in the water (which was very warm...65...way to warm for my 5mm suit) about an hour. Vis was very good, about 25 feet plus! While looking around, not really ready or paying attention, a 40lb plus!! White Sea Bass cruised below me at about 10 feet. It actually startled me at first because it came out of nowhere and i have never seen one that big in the water. i swung my new Riffe MT5 around for a shot and the fish started to cruise towards the bottom. It was about 15 feet away when i shot and the spear just missed over the back. It was a hurried shot.....the fish was huge and i am still kicking myself for missing... but it was the first time firing my MT5 with extra bands. It seemed to kick high after the shot. I need to remember that for next time.

I kicked back in and Rick and his friend stayed out. They came across a few yellowtail in a feeding frenzy and Rick got a shot on a nice 27lb yellow...which committed suicide by running itself into ricks spear. Way to go Rick!!!

i will be back in La jolla wednesday and thursday in hopes of redeeming myself.

sask

Rick Dawg
06-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Will, Thanks for coming down and fishin with us. Sorry about the lateness and taking so long out in the water. Dan and I came upon rivers of mackeral on the outside edge. The first yellowtail cruised up next to me and suprised me. I turned towards it and it swam almost out of vis range but i strummed the bands and he stopped and turned back. I was laying on the surface and was bobbing too much for the shot. Later the birds began to hit the water, small fish encircled me, smelt were below, and the mackeral were below them. Out of nowhere, 5 or 6 yellows came by and I drilled the closest one. it quickly stole 50 ft of line and tangled up in the kelp. I swam down, brained it and dan cut it out. In the midst of this, the mackeral went crazy again and Dan took off to get him one but missed right over the top.

It ended up weighing 23lbs.

Rick

Prodigal Son
06-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Nice fish Rick, esp. off the shore. Thanks for the updates Sask. Where do you guys spearfish in La Jolla? My brother lives in the area, and this would give me an excuse to drive down and visit him. Are there any spots that are not so far offshore? You're in great shape if you can swim 1000+ yards and freedive.

Rick Dawg
06-03-2003, 06:30 PM
thanks prodigal, where we go is right in downtown la Jolla. Anywhere in san diego, the kelp is far offshore. the quickest way for access would be a boat,but I dont have one. Sask lives up in palos verde, and I guess the kelp is much closer than down here. Come on down and we'll show you around.

Rick