PDA

View Full Version : Lost any catch to a shark?

Stone
10-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Who says you can't Shark feed in Florida anymore?

Before my wife started using a speargun I bought her a polespear. On her first dive with it, she had just speared a nice flounder (and was about to spear a second one) when a 5 ft Bullshark cruised in (vis was about 20 ft). I had to keep my speargun darn near up his nose while we got the flounder off her pole.

We see bullsharks pretty routinely, but they usually keep their distance; i.e.; just far enough away to be invisible.

fishhunta
10-25-2002, 06:33 PM
if it's big enough to eat me, i hate it and it needs to die. all this bullshit about we need to protect the sharks is wrong. in the past, sharks killed all of the little fish and seals and crap which kept fish and seal populations under control, but now, we kill all the baby seals and fish, so there is no longer a need for sharks- **** 'em all kill'em all.
if you can't tell, i'm a little bitter towards sharks, which means that i have had a few too many encounters.

Life's a big fish..........shoot it in the head!

Reef Raider
10-25-2002, 09:02 PM
My son lost a flounder to a shark happen so fast he said it was off the striger before he knew what hit it . All he saw was the sharks tail vis was bad what day like 15 ft . I gave a hammer head 2 fish once droped the fish and bailed out . I was in a barge putting a fish on the stringer and there he was like 5 to 10 ft so I droped that fish and 1 more off the stringer and swam up and out as I did I turned to keep a eye on him and he was eating his free lunch. I just went back to the boat useed the rest of the tank some place else....

dlock
10-25-2002, 09:07 PM
:D sometimes you gotta pay da toll :D and sometimes he does:D ...click,click,boom;)

GeauxSaints
10-28-2002, 07:28 AM
Lost more to the freakin jew fish out here. Man, I HATE those things. Almost nothing more that I'd like to do than seriously **** one of those things up.

dlock
10-28-2002, 08:36 AM
they are a pain in the ass. I've had a few of them pop out of culverts when I went to look inside. Thought I was gonna shit my wetsuit...large shadow charging out of culvert comin' right at me...Oh Shit!!!!:eek:

Hogwild
10-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Shortly after I began spearing, I had a "fun" time with a shark.

I had shoot several nice gags and hogs and at the time, in order to keep both hands on my gun, I pulled the stringer up over my left arm so the fish hung down my left side.

Suddenly, a nine foot nurse shark swam up behind me and bit into the fish. He then proceeded to thrash back and forth to tear off some fish, but my arm is still stuck in the stringer! The violent motion knocked off my mask and at this point I still have no idea what type of shark had a hold of me.

I got out of the stringer and went to the bottom, found my mask and had to sit there and watch as that greedy bastard ate all of my fish so I could get the stringer back, but he did not eat the fish heads.

When I got back to the boat with a stringer of fish heads, it was the trip my freinds will never let me forget and turned me into a long term spearing junkie.

f94gator
10-28-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Hogwild

Suddenly, a nine foot nurse shark swam up behind me ...

...I still have no idea what type of shark had a hold of me.

Ummm, wasn't it a nurse shark? What am I missing?

Helluva story, though. Iíve never encountered a shark while spearfishing. Some of the stories Iím reading have me ready to make a set of Depends a standard part of my gear!

Diver Dan
10-28-2002, 06:18 PM
I think what u missed was "at this point!" Sounds like he saw it afterwards!

Hogwild
10-29-2002, 07:47 AM
Correct Diver Dan. Not untill I was able to find my dive mask was I able to fully see the shark that had mugged me. It took quite awhile to clean the brown stains out of the wet suit.

Hogwild

f94gator
10-29-2002, 09:48 AM
Ah, I see. Gotcha. I thought you meant at this point, right now, present day. All is clear now!

201proguide
10-29-2002, 12:11 PM
i hate when you catch a nice tarpon (or any tarpon for that matter) and some shark comes and attacks the tired poon. that shit pisses me off more than anything.

captjohnr
11-25-2002, 11:01 AM
I had a 7' Nurse shark sneak up on me two months ago in 30' of water and try to take a bite out of the grouper on a stringer attached to the butt of my gun. I pulled the fish out of its mouth and gave him a poke with the spear tip and it took off. I was hopping mad!:D

liberty hound
11-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I had a reef shark take two snaps and my stringer three weeks ago. My buddies went back down later and never found my stringer.He must like to eat alone. I guess the donation was worth it because I ended up with a nice grouper and cob for the day after moving to another location of course.

ScottCarullo
11-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Ok,

You are diving, have some fish on the stringer, and there are more left to kill. Then, something catches your eye and it looks like a 500lb cobia... oops, this one has fangs!

The 10-14 foot shark comes within range, about 15-20 feet. You watch, hope it goes away, adjust the seat of your pants and look at the pressure gauge dropping. In the back of your mind you think - hey, the guys on the forum that have experience say get bold, and show the shark who the man is. The shark comes back circling, this time about 10-15 feet away - doesn't look like its going to forget I'm here.

To shoot or not to shoot prior to it trying for a free lunch and after expanding like a blowfish to look big.

Everything I read makes perfectly good sense, and I appreciate all your input - its priceless. I have reason to believe that if you launch a full scale attack on a rather large shark that it may attack the diver in self defense. Thats my only drawback from feeding it a 357 mag in the side of the head. Isn't it instinct to flee if you are in danger, but to put your ears back and give it hell if you feel you can't get away?

So what do you do.... poke it, look big, and then blast it when all else fails, or do you plant a 357 the first chance you get. Lets face it, if I can shoot it its way to close for comfort if its huge.

Assuming a shot is necessary with a powerhead, where exactly would be the BEST shot, assuming you may only get one?

I dove a 120 foot wreck with my blind friend one day a few years back and the wreck (a 400 or so foot ship) was cracked in half partially. Inside the V of te two pieces were to 12-14 foot sand tiger sharks. By the time I saw them we were both swimming right out in front of them by about 15 feet. I looked away I was so scared and never looked back at them. My blind friend (totally) wondered why I started breathing heavy - if he only knew :) We continued the dive on the other side of the wreck. That could have been a disaster, I should have kept an eye on them but you have no idea how unhappy sand tigers look and boy they have lots of huge teeth. I've been told they are harmless and only the Tiger sharks are trouble. A commercial guy told me he shot one in the head (357mag) and it just rolled over and rubbed his head on the sand then swam casually off - makes you wonder...

Any ideas - and please don't forget to tell me where the best place to hit one if it comes to that. I'd like to shoot it right in the eyeball.

Scott