PDA

View Full Version : PH regulations

mdiver
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have a link on powerhead regulations in federal and state waters? Also something that states about transporting fish that have been power headed in federal through state waters. I know I've seen discussion on the board but my searches are too broad.

polespear
02-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Use of firearms or explosives for harvest is prohibited. Harvest with or possession of fish harvested with a powerhead or bangstick is prohibited in state waters. Powerheads may be used for personal protection only. Use of a rebreather to harvest any marine species is prohibited. Use of a rebreather is allowed for nonconsumptive purposes only. Simultaneous possession of a rebreather and fish is prohibited, except for persons in continuous transit from federal waters. This is from FWC http://myfwc.com/marine/sum_com_reg.pdf 4th page down on the right. top of page

mdiver
02-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks Dave. So if I read that correctly it is illeagal to possess fish harvested by PH in state waters period even if harvested in federal waters.??? :confused:

bgbill
02-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks Dave. So if I read that correctly it is illeagal to possess fish harvested by PH in state waters period even if harvested in federal waters.??? :confused:

If you do not stop in state waters on the way back from federal waters, it is legal.

polespear
02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
No what this means is that you may use a ppd in state waters for personal protection ONLY. It is leagel in fed waters, The diff. is You may NOT stop on your way in, from fed waters.Once you are inside the ten mile marker, You Must not stop. If you do you are concidered hunting in state waters w/ powerhead. That's a no no.............

If you do not stop in state waters on the way back from federal waters, it is legal.
Sorrry bret I type slow.

Gradyman
02-19-2006, 10:37 PM
OK...that means all you guys who want to stop a few miles out for a quick bladder release will have to hold it until we reach the dock! :lol:

PatMyGreen
02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Or take your chances pissing in the wind.

There is a further confusion on this one for me. I have heard that there is a stressed zone in federal waters where the use of PPDs for harvest is also forbidden. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or where the stressed zones are?

Megabeast
02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
I know a guy who got boarded in the gulf and all he does is shoot powerheads. They told him he was in the stress zone and he said, "what defines the stress zone" OF COURSE the FWC guy didn't know the specifics of the rule so they got on the radio. A womans voice shot out of the speaker, "The stress zone is 60 feet of water or less." All eyes went right to the bottom finder... 63 feet. Randy lives to shoot another day.

PatMyGreen
02-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, I found it bad news for us in the panhandle West of Cape San Blas if you planned on using one to avoid an AJ rodeo.

Stressed areas for reef fish begin at the shoreward
boundary of federal waters and generally follow the 10
fathom contour from the Dry Tortugas to Sanibel
Island; the 20 fathom contour to Tarpon Springs; the 10
fathom contour to Cape San Blas; the 25 fathom
contour to south of Mobile Bay; the 13 fathom contour
to Ship Island, Mississippi; the 10 fathom contour off
Louisiana; and the 30 fathom contour off Texas. In
designated "stressed areas" use of fish traps, roller
trawls, and power heads is prohibited.

I am barely ever that deep anyway and have never used one on an AJ....but I know this will be news to a few people.

Felicia Coleman's opinion on the Stressed area; The Council called the area most influenced by
recreational fishing throughout the Gulf the “Reef Fish
Stressed Area.” The seaward boundary of this area is
farthest from shore near densely populated areas where
recreational fishing pressure is most intense, and closest
to shore in areas of lower population density where
fishing pressure is less intense (GMFMC 1981b, 1989)
(Figure 1a). In a perplexing move, the Council then
implemented gear restrictions in this area aimed
almost entirely at the commercial sector, excluding the
use of powerhead (explosive tipped) spear guns (used
by a very few recreational and commercial scuba
divers), fish traps, and roller-rig trawls (which were not
used at all within the designated area). In effect, the
identified problem of intensive recreational fishing in
this zone remains unaddressed, and the effectiveness of
the stressed-area closure has not been evaluated.
http://www.bio.fsu.edu/coleman_lab/2004.fisheries.pdf

polespear
02-20-2006, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Gradyman]OK...that means all you guys who want to stop a few miles out for a quick bladder release will have to hold it until we reach the dock! :lol:[/QUOTE YEA,, What he said

TGuthrie
02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I 2nd what bgbill said, it is legal in federal waters, just don't stop in state water, run all the way to the dock

el tiegro
02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Simultaneous possession of a rebreather and fish is prohibited, except for persons in continuous transit from federal waters.

That doesn't mean rebreathers are legal in federal waters, does it?

SPEARIT
02-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Spearfishing on rebreathers is illegal in federal waters.

mdiver
04-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I know this is getting old.
Where do you find that it is legal to powerhead fish in federal waters? The link Polespear had was for comercial fisherman. It states that it is illegal to possess fish harvested with powerheads in state waters. I have seen nothing to indicate this is legal although I asume it is. Does anyone know where I can see this offically printed? I've been basically called a criminal for powerheading fish in federal waters. (not on the board)