PDA

View Full Version : Faial Azores

R.I.TOG
03-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Going there on vac. in August.What are the regs their. How do I get my gun their and use it without any trouble.(permit or something req.)

Ed Walker
03-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I dont know about diving there but I do know that it is one of the greatest monster gamefish destinations in the world, in the Atlantic for sure. They have more over 1000 pound Atlantic Blue marlin there than anywhere else on earth. There is an unforgettable pic of an enormous marlin, "in the 2000 pound range" heading for the horizon prior to spooling a 130 International that I saw from there. Ill see if I can find it. They also get the giant bluefin tunas, often very close to shore. Hell of a ride to get there though. Id love to hear your spearfishing report from there.

Heres the link. Check out the beast in the 4th pic down on the left. That fish is not of this earth. Im pretty sure it would eat a human if it saw one in the water. http://www.bigmarinefish.com/photos_blue_marlin_pg1.html

Quetzal
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Bad Ass!

phlipper
03-31-2006, 09:32 PM
i took a gun there via boat, but never had the time to do any diving. was over 20 years ago but place to get all the info u need is peters cafe sport in horta. i just googled it and he's got a website. one of my favorite bars in the world. back in the day peter was a miracle worker for stranded sailors.

Mlungu
04-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi!

I ve been to the Azores a couple times including Faial in 2004; My original plan was to hook up with Paulo Gasper (the guy who shot a record Bluefin Tuna) who used to have a boat and would do trips out to the Princess Alice Banks about 40 miles off Faial. After a few e-mails to arrange the trip he suddenly went quiet. I decided to try and sort something out once I got there only to find he had gone bust and was now living on different island :mad:

As far as the Azores go for spearfishing.... best advice I can give is get a boat or find someone who can take you out. Shore diving is Ok, crystal clear water and lots of fish to look at, loads of small trigger fish but not alot else. If you can't find a boat, check out Sao George or Pico islands for better shore diving. The channel between Faial and Pico is supposed to be quite good for pelagics (amberjacks etc...).

If you want to spearfish you have to get a permit from the ?port master in Horta. There are bag limits, but I can't remember exactly and you can't shoot grouper.
Its a good place to go for a holiday even if you can't go diving.Anyway, have fun

Cheers

Justin