PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my own bands!

diveprez
06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Greetings..,

I have two SeaHornets (48 free-shaft and 42 line gun) and I'm real tired of shelling out between $11 and $13 bucks for bands. And to add insult to injury, my dive shop doesn't always have the length I want.., which really sucks on a Friday night before a trip.
I have a friend who's bought rubber in bulk and uses seizing line to bind the rubber to the "notch catcher" (sorry, don't know the real term for the metal thingie). It works pretty good, but he's had them pop at the most inopportune times, and I'd like to be able to make the real thing. Anybody know of a kit or tool to compress the metal or plastic rings?

'Preciate your help.

Roland

richhermes
06-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Attend one of SpearOne's seminars. His wife and son (I beleive) showed me how to tie bands. It is incredibly simple. I do beleive he sells all the supplies to if you need them.

one_lucky_shot
06-23-2003, 05:27 PM
other than getting exactly what you want, length mainly i would guess. is it worth making your own bands? the bands in the shops are like you said only 12 bucks or so, how much would it cost per band and how much to you have to commit to before you get to that price.??

fishkilla
06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
i've recently just started tying my own bands. it's really worth it. i like to use snappy new bands on every offshore adventure i'm on, especially trips to the grounds. and i think the cost works out to about 3 to 4 bucks a band and about 10 minutes of your time. if you want to shoot with maximum force and with consistancy tie your own bands or be happy with dive shop prices.

i've got how kevin ties the bands on tape and will be posting it soon. stay tuned

sharpshooter
06-23-2003, 08:40 PM
I use #80lb. dacron nylon fishing line. I put a little silicon grease on each end of the "wishbone". I insert the wishbone into each end of the band. You cut about a 10" piece of 80lb. line.Tie a 3" long nail to each end of the line in the middle of each nail. Center the line just below the wishbone ball on one end of the rubber. About a 1/2 " from the end. Wrap the line twice around the rubber tight. Keep tension on the line by using the two nails to pull the line tight. Make a regular overhanded knot. You should now have a knot with 2 pieces of line extending out about 4" with a nail one each end of the line. Cut them off about a 1/2" from the knot. Burn the free ends of the line with a lighter. When the ends start on fire,blow them out. This will prevent them from fraying. I burn mine to within 1/8" of the knot. Now do the same thing to the other end of the rubber. You can make sure the knot holds by loading the gun in the backyard. Put the gun down for about 3-5 min. loaded. You'll also, be pre-streaching your band. I've been doing it this way for about 20 years and never had one slip out in the field. I use the wishbones over and over till they break. You can make 2 bands for less than 1 store bought. I also, carry at least one extra pre made band on a trip. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to show the process.

greyface
06-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, Sharpshooter. 20 yrs. success works for me!

Denny
06-24-2003, 07:55 AM
I haven't purchased a finished band in years. Buy 50' of band material from Aquatic Obsessions, save and reuse your old wishbones ( I like the metal bones, to me the dacron is a pain in the ass). The tubing is about $2 a foot. Keep it in the fridge. I usually have at least two spare bands made and keep another length of tubing and a wishbone in the gear bag for that one time when everthing goes wrong.
You can make a band in under 5 minutes, even on a boat while under way. You can also experiment with band lengths for different power levels on a given shot.
Bill at Aquatic Obsessions will give you a great lesson on tying bands properly (free lesson).

one_lucky_shot
06-24-2003, 07:03 PM
do they have a www? and what is there physical address?