PDA

View Full Version : Gun case

PaulR
07-02-2003, 09:52 PM
I do some traveling out of town, and once a year out of country(puerto rico).
I need a bag to cary my 48 biller and a few shafts. It needs to be ablt to go on a plane, so a mesh type bag can't happen.

I fly out to puerto rico tommorow, and am going to do a little freediving off the island of vieques(the one the navy just stoped bombing :( ) It should be fun, as there are some really good reefs close to shore.

I am going to go by ups tommorow, and pack it in cardboard since I just decided to bring my gun a few days ago.

LEt me know what bag has worked good for you and where I can get one(online is fine).

Paul

Nitroxwzrd
07-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Just get a single gun, plastic gun case. The type you use for rifles, you can pick them up at wally world for under 20 bucks. They are a hassle on boats but they are good for shipping, just make sure you get one that is airline approved.

Kasshia
07-03-2003, 03:37 AM
I agree with Nitrox. Look into a hardsided, lockable gun case from Wally-World or your local sporting goods store. The only difficulty that I can see you might have is that gun cases are a prime target with thieves in and around airports and with they're size and shape it's obvious what the case is for. Especially when the airlines mark the case for the thieves with that bright red "FIREARM" tag :rolleyes:, but maybe in your case you can get them to not do that since you're just carrying spearguns.

Speargun
07-03-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Nitroxwzrd
Just get a single gun, plastic gun case. The type you use for rifles, you can pick them up at wally world for under 20 bucks. They are a hassle on boats but they are good for shipping, just make sure you get one that is airline approved.
I have been looking for a gun hardcase for about a year now. Wally World, Bass Pro, and others have some good ones, but the big problem is that they are all 52 inches long or shorter. My 48" SS gun is 56" long and will not fit into a gun case. My 52" commercial gun is even longer. I haven't been able to find a hard gun case that even comes close.
If you find one, let me know.

DanR
07-08-2003, 06:18 PM
You could try a snowboard case! It will cost you more than $20 but you should be able to put 2 or 3 guns plus whatever in it and since many snow boards are 5'6" or longer. I have no idea if this will work but it popped into my head.....or maybe my head just popped.

Denny
07-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Last time I flew with a gun on an airline, there was a $50 (I think) charge for the oversize tube. I used a PVC pipe with a screw-on end cap, took the gun apart and stowed the trigger mechanism in the suitcase. There is just no getting around the shaft length.
Happy killing.

kitefisherman
07-09-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm surprised that they charged you for an oversize item. I regularly travel with my skis and have never been charged for them being oversize by Delta, US Air or Southwest. My old straight skis were 198 cm (about 6.5 feet) and the bag was actually longer. I doubt your shafts are any longer. :confused:

Dogmatrix
07-21-2003, 10:51 AM
I have a home made gun case that is made from poly pipe (90mm by 2M long) there is a T junction at 1 end and i have drilled 4 holes to enable 2 padlocks to be plaed on either end to ensure that prying eyes and fingers as well as rough treatment by baggage handlers is not rewarded.

However another option would be to look at an RA gun bag, they are padded and depending on which you buy should be capable of taking just about anything you want to at a reasonable price!

Rob

PaulR
07-21-2003, 01:21 PM
I did a search, and looked at the rob allen bags. They are very nice, and look well built.
I think that is what I am looking for.

If you have any pictures of your homemade case, please send them to me, or post them here on this page.

Thanks, Paul