PDA

View Full Version : bugs

rrobship
07-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Whats the closest you can get bugs near jacksonville ?

100days-a-year
07-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Found one once at NM.Usually 15 to 20 miles.Best beyond 25miles.

Yep-uhuh
07-11-2003, 05:58 AM
I've noticed a lot of pictures for bugs off jax and they run 5lbs up.

Tell me how you catch these monsters without shooting them?

I've only played around with bugs down in marathon pre season and they are fast!

FredT
07-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Best method is to have one diver tickle the bug into the other diver's hand. This ensured a tail grab, so you don't loose the good meat in the legs and antenna.

Move fast ONCE and the bug will be in the back of the deepest hole it can find! Think ZEN...become the bug! If you don't do anything to scare it the bug is yours. When you can stroke the base of a bug's antenna without him moving you've got it down.

FT

rrobship
07-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Yep-uhuh you going down to the keys for mini season ? Or down around Jupiter ?

Charlestondivin
07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Fredt is the man but since i do not have the lob zen i use a little bit different brute force tactic. When i spot a "east coast" lobster I drop my speargun and approach with both hands free. Seems like half the time they charge out at you trying to poke with the antennas.
As im swimming in i grab part of the ledge with my left hand and pull myself forward fast . I shoot my right hand under the antennas palm up and grab the base of the ant and push the lob up. Works like clockwork. Once you have the anteanna base its game over. Just do not touch the antennas only the base.
I am quite positive this will not work with smaller lobsters.

No sharp stuff on the underside of a lobsters head allowing a fast hard grab.

Yep-uhuh
07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, work is requiring me to stay close the next couple of weekends.

Maybe next year I can go!

rrobship
07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Going to leave on the 28th or 29th down to bahia honda till thursday .Taking my daughter down for her first lobster season.

100days-a-year
07-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Yep ,Rob(Charleston)has the method down.If you are going to go out here for mini-sport and want to track me down on Ch6 lemme know.I'm pre -diving tommorrow at the super-secret spot.Most lobster here~75% are in shallow holes with no backdoor.A grip on the 1st knuckle of the antenna will pull them out .A tickle stick is normally useless,so we normally just use the tip of the speargun if we have 2..Do not shoot them as it 1 is illegal and 2 if you keep the bugs alive till you wring them they taste better.We use a bin or livewell to keep then outta the sun and damp.

Hunt4PinkOctobr
07-11-2003, 03:30 PM
We use a 1/8" to 1/4" x 3' aluminum rod with a bend in the end that helps pull them out of holes. I've heard that some people use a hand net, but they can get tangled up wasting precious bottom time. Thanks for the tips FredT...good advice.