PDA

View Full Version : York, ME this weekend

irie 24
07-06-2006, 03:43 PM
diving near nubble this weekend prolly saturday maybe sunday too. pm if yer down.

milhouse
07-06-2006, 06:38 PM
What are you looking to shoot there?

irie 24
07-11-2006, 09:36 PM
hey all.

had an awesome dive on sunday. it was kinda hazy but alot of sunlight poking through on this spot i dove about 2 miles north of the lighthouse in york. ran into schools of stripers on 4 to 5 occasions. one of the headmasters being around 34 and my buddy saw one around 40 (can we all lobby to change the maine regs on striper spearing or WHAT cuz this is torture. although still a lot of fun to watch em).

think it was just after high tide and even with the outgoing water, visibility was on point. never less than 10-12 or so and measured it at around 28 on my floatline in a good spot. got a few small cunner in the 13-16 inch range and was just about to head in when i saw a very large tautog cruise by over the irish moss. pretty much dropped an eggplant in my wetsuit i was so surprised to see this. (arent there are hardly any left in maine??? cuz NOBODY catches em on hook and line and most sources state their occurence north of the cape as very rare). anyways....stalked him down and let loose the 100cm RA. It was a horrible shot but i was able to bolt over and pin him and dispatch before the spear pulled. All in all he came it at 22inches even and 17.5 in girth. looked to be a solid 8 lbs to me, whattya think? all in all it was a great dive with schools of fry pollock, crabs, and not too many tourists for the weekend. goin back again this weekend to my spot so shout at me if you're in the area

hopefully get a few more taug pics up when my buddy decides to upload

Vin
07-12-2006, 05:00 AM
looks good!

How did you cook it?

vin

irie 24
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
a little butter, olive oil, dill and threw in some bosari (meat rub).then dipped into salsa....it was kinda freestyle. arent taug supposed to be really good in chowder though?

neastspear
07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
They make nice steaks too...

By the way, definitely the biggest one I have ever seen north of Massachusetts. Well done!

44henriques
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I am fishing out of portland harbor next week, and plan to try some freediving while I'm there. Know any good spots up there? Should I bring my 5 mil suit ,or will the three be OK.

irie 24
07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
i wear a 5/4/3 all summer for freediving and a 3/2 for surfing so you could go either way actually. If you go to the headlight state park beach in cape elizabeth there is pretty good diving there. Stay away from the heavily trafficed areas and the port itself, usually pretty dirty water. If you head north a little more, make sure to check out areas towards the end of bailey and orr's islands in harpswell.

As for myself, I'm goin back down to york. Got a tip from a buddy where i can probably find some flounder as well as the good stuff from last few dives.

somebody pm or msg back if u wanna meet up.

irie 24
08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
last weekend was legit once again. got 2 really nice big cunner with my buddy and a small flounder. (near ogunquit, me) Went through a few schools of healthy lookin stripahs between 14 and 30 or so inches. im down there quite a bit 207 837 3959 if you're lookin for a dive buddy

-chris