PDA

View Full Version : ripping current, mutton snappers, frieghter, coast gaurd, and US customs

SLAYER
07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
the current was going 4.4 knots, so fast the bouy got pulled under. by the time i hit the surrface the boat was a spec on the horizon. I was at least a half mile away from my boat, a mile and half off shore and a quarter mile from a frieghter. For those of you who don't know the current in these parts can get really strong. At this point a I had to decide to swim to shore or to the frieghter. In this area the florida coast starts angling west and the gulf stream starts heading away. so i decided to swim to the frieghter, luckliy i was sort of in line it. They didn't see me until i was just about to it, and i saw a ladder going down the side of it, and it was about three off the water. so i reached for it and grabed it. i stuck my bouy through one of the ladder steps and hung on dragging in a four knot current with half my body in the water for about five minutes. it sucked and took a lot of energy (espiecially for a pencildick), another couple of minutes and i would have let go. I was finally greeted at the top by some wierd italian guy who didn't speek english. they started to get me drunk and helped me get my wetsuit off, just joking about the drunk part. We got a hold of the goast guard and my friend in the boat. We then had to go thruogh the hole docking procedure. which consisted of me having to go through customs and immigration to clear back into the states. and after all of this the coast gaurd was still tring to check my boat for illegal fish.the best part was i held oin to all of my equiptment and my fish which i gave to the italians on the frieghter:cool:

slipknot
07-17-2003, 07:11 PM
YOU MEAN THEY TOUCHED THAT WETSUIT?????:eek: :D
Glad you made it allright.:cool:

SLAYER
07-17-2003, 07:21 PM
oh it wasnt the camo wet suit,sorry

kitefisherman
07-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Bryan:

Diving with tanks - so uncharasteristic! Saw S at the shop last night, and she gave me a brief synopsis. I was wondering when you were going to post about it. Knew that the wetsuit would get mentioned. :D You need to have a long conversation with whoever was driving the boat. Sounds like they didn't have a clue. :confused:

Talk to Paul if you still want in on the Southern Open. I am headed to California for a week on Saturday morning.

SLAYER
07-17-2003, 07:36 PM
it wasnt the driver.i did not blame it on either of us.john,im not it lying when i say it was the strongest i have ever felt,and i have dove some strong stuff

kitefisherman
07-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Bryan:

Just don't understand how it could have happened on a wreck (not a reef). The current must have been obvious from such a fixed point. I know that you are right, you were there; I wasn't. No offense to the driver. I also know that you don't dive with just anybody. Just sounded very strange to me. :confused:

Very glad that you are OK :)

See you when I get back.

100days-a-year
07-18-2003, 06:22 AM
You are now a national hero in Italy,I can here it now"and then this friendly American swam up to our vessel and gave us fresh fish,what friendly people live there"Still say boat driver was having bonehead day,we dive for fossills in current with 0 vis.You either watch for bubbles or get a drift couse off the GPS and run parallel to it .

fernandezh
07-18-2003, 07:59 AM
You are lucky you didn't wear THAT wetsuit. If you had the Italians proboly would have kept you as their "gimp" sex slave on the boat . . . doomed to a life of worldwide gang rapes living in a foot locker. As much as you are a pain in the ass, I am glad to hear that you made it back. :D

Bring out the GIMP!!!!

Hector

Marcus
07-18-2003, 09:36 AM
10' tall and invincible is no way to make through it life alive. Got to be more careful, man. Glad your OK.

bristolxyz
07-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Dood.. you gave your fish away..? You must of been delierious

Screen Name
07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
You didn't let them Italian guys know you were slingin for screen name, did ya? http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/edoom/Thinkingof_.gif

http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/tweetz/scared.gif

SLAYER
07-19-2003, 12:03 AM
screen name

no i did not
and by the way i was lucky i made it on the boat with all my gear in the first place.it is very hard trying to talk to italians who cant speak english when there hundred feet above me

Screen Name
07-19-2003, 06:16 AM
With me slingin for me and you slingin for me too, I'm pretty sure I can win the Southern Open. :D

All your gear is good. You need all your gear. Getting away from the boat............not so good. Sometimes theres no freighter.

Cannot say this has never happened to me though.......:o

SLAYER
07-19-2003, 09:34 AM
i know that is a first and hope that it shouldnt happen again..screen name ,with me slingin for you that is a garunteed win

JaxShooter
07-19-2003, 08:42 PM
We are glad you are back safe. I have to say that is a great story, one that I probably won't forget. I have a friend who is on a trip to N.C and called with a similar story will post and share it when he arrives back home. Dive safe and have a great day.

fishhunta
07-19-2003, 10:19 PM
ok, an addition to the story.......evan, fds's brother, and i went out today to dive that spot that i got the warsaw yesterday. the dive was planned for 175ft for 20 min bottom and about 17 deco. 10 min into the dive we realized that the line to the bouy was flapping horizontally in the current. the strong current had broken it. we immediately ascended and were about 1 mile north of the wreck, evan's mom, who wa driving the boat, was nowhere to be seen. some charter boat picked us up a short time later. i just thought it was funny that this happened to fds, evan, and i all in one week, and it has never happened to any of us before................

SLAYER
07-19-2003, 11:14 PM
and will hopefully never happen again

100days-a-year
07-19-2003, 11:49 PM
One of the usual; suspects on my boat dives with me regularly cause I rescued his ass one day a few years ago adrift 1/2 mile from his boat.I learned the hard way once 2,I had a air/sea rescue called on one of my divers when our steering went out @ 49miles offshore@4:00 and he cast himself off doing deco on the anchor ball.They found him 2 miles down -current on the line we plotted for them.Not only embarassing ,but chilling.He had shot out his ammo on curious sharks out for an evening dinner.Even with allthe preperation.....shit happens.BTW we bought 100# closed cel Carter SMB/lift bags that monday.