PDA

View Full Version : Dont laugh!

RichT
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Just recieved this in my E-mail. IM told that Im a skeptic but remain positive that something good will come out of this and somebody just may listen.
I will attend the Madeira beach meeting and express my feelings concerning the need to remove longlining and bottom trawling from the Gulf of Mexico.
I will also express my position that fishery issues that primarily affect Florida fisherman should be handled by Florida officials and not officials from Louisianna, Texas, or Alabama! :mad: :rolleyes:

Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council staff to hold open forums

July 27, 2006

The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council Staff has scheduled the first three in a series of Fisher Forums.

The Forums, which will eventually be taken Gulf-wide, are designed to provide an opportunity for stakeholders and other

interested parties to interact with Gulf Council staff to present ideas and concerns. The first three are

scheduled in Key West, Naples, and Madeira Beach, Florida.

“We think it’s important for us to take steps toward ensuring the public not only has sufficient opportunity to become

involved in the process, but that they also have the opportunity to raise any issues of importance to them and have their

questions answered,” said Wayne Swingle, Executive Director, Gulf Council.

The forums will be “town hall” style, and participants will have opportunities to introduce issues and ideas that may not

currently be under consideration, and to learn about the Gulf Council and the Council process.

“We’re basically reaching out to our stakeholders and the general public,” said Rick Leard, Deputy Director, Gulf Council.

Up for discussion is anything from the Council’s mission, to what the Council can do to improve the process in general,

to recommendations on specific management plans.

For more information, please call Charlene Ponce, Public Information Officer at 888-833-1844, extension 229.

Meeting Schedule

August 29, 2006 The Harvey Government Center

1200 Truman Avenue

Key West, FL 33040 Session I: 2pm-5pm

Session II: 6pm-10pm
August 30, 2006 Rookery Bay

300 Tower Road

Naples, FL 34113 Session I: 2pm-5pm

Session II: 6pm-10pm
August 31, 2006 City of Madeira Beach

City Hall Auditorium

300 Municipal Drive

Madeira Beach, FL 33708 Session I: 7pm-10pm

normanhghntr
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
thanks rich, i as always will be at the kw meeting

raldog
07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
When is KW meeting. I would like to attend.

Scott Hooker
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Call me, I'll go with you.

Ed Walker
07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Good for you Rich.
If the GMFMC is asking opinions and input, recreational fishermen should show and give their thoughts. Yes, it has seemed like (and been) a dead horse for a long time, but if you dont lay out your educated opinion and speak your piece, you cant complain when you get hosed in favor of interests of commerce that DID show up and speak.
Things are gradually changing.
I have respect for anyone that will take the time to give their thoughts even after years of being completely ignored, if not laughed at, by the some members of the GMFMC.
No one has ever prevailed by quiting.

PatMyGreen
07-29-2006, 08:16 AM
But Rich, isn't Maderia the home of most of the longline fleet? Anybody else in the area want to show up and give alittle support to Rich, he might not be posting again after this.

Marcus
07-29-2006, 08:47 AM
I'll be there.