PDA

View Full Version : Free diving Neah bay area.

canuck
08-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I am new to the spear fishing and free diving, but have been tank diving a long time. I am having a lot of fun develloping my skills and love to learn new spots. With my wet suit I can stand two hours of diving around fifty degree water ( should be good enough for late summer season water temperature, right?)
I have not been in Seiku/ Neah bay area in a few years. In the past I used to go to Seiku for salmon fishing and did a little bottom fishing for rock fish and ling. We used to go just west of the mouth of the seiku river (region 4) and do well along the kelp in thirty to fourty feet deep. That is well inside the dept I can hunt freediving. I never paid attentions to the shore so I don't remember what it is like. I remember that there is sometime lots of current but there is always a few hours every day that would be calm. When I look at the area on google earth, there are a few beaches between Seeku and Neah bay.
I also have a boat, eighteen feet with 75 hp. It has never been in the salt but I have been on the Columbia in some nasty wind. I feel confident that it is safe in to use in any condition I wish to dive.

Question # 1: I am ready to hike in all of my gear, Is there a way to access the mouth of the Seiku river on foot?

Question # 2: What about access to the beaches between Seiku and Neah bay?

Question #3: Would I be better to bring my boat and an extra opperator or to attempt to shore dives? ( Two guys in the water and one guy in the boat to pick us up if there is current.)

Question #4: With the boat, is it better to start in Seiku and go west, or start from Neah bay.

Question #5 What about best camping locations

I will not go this year so I have a lot of time to prepair. Is there any suggestion on what to do or not do?
Thank a lot for any info.

Kevin Casey
08-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Seiku is a LONG way from Neah Bay....

LONG WAY!!!!

Do not attempt to go from Neah Bay to Seiku by boat unless you have the resources to do that....as in a friend in the boat to help you if you want to dive!

You can launch in Seiku, and you can launch in Snow Creek, just before Neah Bay, and you can car camp in Snow Creek, or creepy hotel it in Neah Bay, or ok hotel it in Seiku...

I wouldn't do anything anywhere along the Straits of Juan de Fuca without somebody who could handle the boat while I was in the water...

canuck
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I guess I did not meant to travel from Seiku to Neah bay but to access the east end of Marine area 4 from Seiku.

I know that currant condition change very fast so it almost make the boat invaluable for safety. I guess I have a lot of scouting to do. I might have to do a dry run one weekend just to get my bearing, I am going to fish the Queets for steelhead next fall so might as well take the opportunity to scout.

I have plenty of time to figure it out. Any info is valuable at this point.

Thanks to Kevin Casey for the reply.

Rob Holman
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Question # 1: I am ready to hike in all of my gear, Is there a way to access the mouth of the Seiku river on foot?
You can access the Sekiu river mouth from shore. Park your truck right next to it actually. Very easy to do. However, the bay is very shallow and sandy. Very little kelp. We did it via kayak once and had to go a little over a mile off shore to get 100 feet of depth. If I was going to shore dive the area, I would go closer to Neah. There are several pullouts along the way that would work well. The old jetty in Sekiu would be good for rockfish and itís only 30 feet deep or so. Basically, look for kelp and dive it.

Question # 2: What about access to the beaches between Seiku and Neah bay?
There are several, as I said above, look for kelp and pull over. Rockfish should be easy to get, ling will be harder.

Question #3: Would I be better to bring my boat and an extra opperator or to attempt to shore dives? ( Two guys in the water and one guy in the boat to pick us up if there is current.)
Like Kevin said, there are boat launches at Neah, Snow creek (last time I was there it was broken-itís a sling), and Sekiu. The drive between Neah and Sekiu is about 20 miles, and it is a pretty straight shot. Probably about the same distance by boat. Depends on what kind of boat you have. Open bows are bad news out there. One big wave and you are toast. If you are in the straight, you can get pretty calm weather and be fine, however it can change in a heart beat. The closer you get to flattery, the worse the weather and the quicker it changes. I have a 14 foot inflatable that we take out in pretty big swells. They are great boats, they beat the hell out of you, but they take pretty nasty weather.

Question #4: With the boat, is it better to start in Seiku and go west, or start from Neah bay.
Again, launch close to where you want to dive, and go from there. The closer you get to flattery, the better the diving, the closer to shore deep wter is, and the better he spearing. The weather and water gets worse out there too.

Question #5 What about best camping locations
Camping can be had at Snow creek, Neah Bay, and Sekiu.
http://www.vanripersresort.com/
http://www.snowcreekwa.com/

I have talked to a couple guys who were free diving out at Tatoosh. I think they ran one up, one down. They were in what looked like a Boston Whaler type hull. It was about 20 feet long. They were very successful. I think they had some scallops too.

Rob Holman
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh yeah, I'm with Kevin, for safety, a live boat is a REALLY good idea for 99.9% of the dives out there. People do anchor their boats and dive that way, but it is very risky.