PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with Bottlenose Dolphin

Yep-uhuh
07-24-2003, 01:21 PM
We were out of Jax recetly and came up on a large pod of porpoises and one of my divers wanted to jump out with fins. mask and snorkel and swim with these large mammals.

I encouraged her not to, because I've heard that the speckle colored ones are aggressive.

Any opinions on here about the subject matter b4 I let her jump in next time?

richhermes
07-24-2003, 01:27 PM
I've seen dolphin be particularly agressive toward women. I guess they can tell the gender of a human.

I have seen the dolphin sport a woodie and then clip the woman on the back side of her knee. (it must be some sort of mating thing for the dolphin) The scary part is that the swimmer never sees it coming since they come from behind.

kitefisherman
07-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Bubblejunkie and I freedove with a large pod of spotted dolphin in the Middlegrounds over the 4th of July holiday and had no problems despite being surrounded on all sides by dolphin of all sizes.

f94gator
07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
It's probably up there with the lady that got killed by the seal. They probably will not do anything to you, but they certainly can if they feel like it.

Nikki
07-24-2003, 06:49 PM
I swam with one twice on Cayman Brac. Single male dolphin named Spot - there's an article about him in a Skin Diver or some other diving mag from about 3 years ago. Each time Spot showed up, the divers jumped in to play with him on the surface. The "first" time, Spot had manners...The "second" time, he got over-excited and I had to swim back into the boat to get away from him. He was sporting wood and kept on doing loops around me and doing the skin to skin - belly to belly contact each time he swam around me. He did about 4 loops, I think, on a 12 yard swim back to the boat... After everyone got out of the water, he started to hump the mooring ball! :D Funny sight!!! One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences, I guess....

I TRULY think that it was the fact that we were not wearing wetsuits. We took them off after the dive to snorkel with Spot. He had previously greeted us at around 50' down. It was really funny to see the look on my husband's face at 50' when he felt a tug on his fin, turned around because he thought it was me, and instead saw Spot staring straight at him!

The divemasters said that Spot had pinned a female divemaster (on scuba) to the bottom once and had dislocated a male divemaster's shoulder greeting him at the surface....

They CAN be dangerous - but then again, they CAN be fun! You NEVER really know...depends on their "mood" I guess... :D :D

Nikki
07-24-2003, 07:38 PM
BTW - wood was NOT impressive, in case you were wondering! :D

100days-a-year
07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
ROTFFLMMFAO,Whew,800 men collectively sigh as if competing against each other wasn't enough ,we almost had to compete with Flipper the wonderstud.