PDA

View Full Version : Nice,the best time for grouper is closed.

chasintail
11-22-2006, 01:10 AM
NOAA FISHERIES SERVICE NEWS RELEASE
SOUTHEAST REGIONAL OFFICE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 21, 2006

Media Contact:
Kim Amendola - NOAA
727-551-5707

Recreational Grouper Fishing Closure Announced for Gulf of Mexico
Seasonal Closure to happen February 15 through March 15

NOAA Fisheries Service announces a February 15 through March 15
seasonal closure for the recreational red grouper, black grouper, and
gag fisheries in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The seasonal
closure will occur annually, and coincides with the commercial grouper
fishery closure established in 2000.

NOAA Fisheries Service initially intended to implement the
recreational seasonal closure when it reduced the recreational red
grouper bag limit earlier in 2006. However, the agency delayed
implementation of the seasonal closure in response to concerns about
the closure and knowledge that a new gag assessment was pending. The
gag assessment, completed in August 2006, indicates the stock is
undergoing overfishing.

"We thought it was a good idea to wait for the gag assessment before
determining the need for a seasonal closure," said Dr. Roy Crabtree,
NOAA Fisheries Service's Southeast Regional Administrator. "Now there
is no question the closure is needed to protect and conserve these
grouper populations." Thus, in light of the results of the recent gag
assessment, the fisheries service published a final rule on November
17, 2006 implementing the seasonal closure.

This closure is one of many management measures recently proposed by
the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council (Council) and approved
by the Secretary of Commerce in response to a plan set up to rebuild
the Gulf of Mexico red grouper population by 2012. This 10-year
rebuilding plan was implemented in 2004 after an assessment of red
grouper populations completed two years earlier indicated the species
was being fished too heavily. Other measures implemented earlier this
year to reduce red grouper landings to levels specified in the
rebuilding plan include: a 6,000-pound commercial grouper trip limit;
a recreational bag limit reduction to one red grouper per person per
day within the five grouper aggregate bag limit; and a zero bag limit
for captains and crews of for-hire vessels while under charter.

All of these management actions will help reduce red grouper landings
to levels specified in the rebuilding plan. Additionally, the
management actions will help address overfishing of gag. Implementing
a seasonal closure for all three species, which represent over 90
percent of the recreational grouper harvest, will also reduce bycatch
and discard mortality of these species. Although the current status of
the black grouper population has not been assessed, it is included in
the seasonal closure because black grouper is similar in appearance to
gag and, therefore, difficult for fishers to distinguish from gag.

The Council is considering the need for additional reductions in
fishing mortality on gag. The detailed process for developing
management alternatives will provide many opportunities for public
participation and input before the Council recommends any regulatory
changes to NOAA Fisheries Service and the Secretary of Commerce. Also,
a new red grouper assessment is scheduled for completion in early
2007. As a result, NOAA Fisheries Service continues to encourage
grouper constituents to stay informed and involved in the rulemaking
process. Information about Council meetings, meeting agendas, public
workshops or hearings, and grouper frequently asked questions is
available at the Web sites listed below.

NOAA Fisheries Service is dedicated to protecting and preserving our
nation's living marine resources and their habitat through scientific
research, management and enforcement. NOAA Fisheries Service provides
effective stewardship of these resources for the benefit of the
nation, supporting coastal communities that depend upon them, and
helping to provide safe and healthy seafood to consumers and
recreational opportunities for the American public. To learn more
about NOAA Fisheries Service, please visit: www.nmfs.noaa.gov.

In 2007, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an
agency of the U.S. Commerce Department, celebrates 200 years of
science and service to the nation. From the establishment of the
Survey of the Coast in 1807 by Thomas Jefferson to the formation of
the Weather Bureau and the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries in the
1870s, much of America's scientific heritage is rooted in NOAA.

NOAA is dedicated to enhancing economic security and national safety
through the prediction and research of weather and climate-related
events and information service delivery for transportation, and by
providing environmental stewardship of our nation's coastal and marine
resources. Through the emerging Global Earth Observation System of
Systems (GEOSS), NOAA is working with its federal partners, more than
60 countries and the European Commission to develop a global
monitoring network that is as integrated as the planet it observes,
predicts and protects.

Petra
11-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the post.

gogators27
11-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Anyone know what was involved in the "Gag assessment"?

How did they assess Gags?

intowin
11-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Other measures implemented earlier this
year to reduce red grouper landings to levels specified in the
rebuilding plan include: a 6,000-pound commercial grouper trip limit;
a recreational bag limit reduction to one red grouper per person per
day within the five grouper aggregate bag limit; and a zero bag limit
for captains and crews of for-hire vessels while under charter.

This seems to indicate zero bag limit for captain and crew already passed. I thought it was just something they were trying to pass?

bgbill
11-22-2006, 08:03 AM
This seems to indicate zero bag limit for captain and crew already passed. I thought it was just something they were trying to pass?

Captain and Paid Crew while on Charter's have not been able to keep Grouper for awhile, and now the Captain and Crew can not keep American Red Snapper either.

bgbill
11-22-2006, 08:07 AM

They stuck their hand up their ass and pulled out the numbers they wanted.

How do you know you have a good accountant?

You ask him what 2+2 equals? and he says, anything you want it to.

hardcore
11-22-2006, 09:01 AM

I think it works the same way NOAA calls the marine forecast. A group of "experts" sit around the room talking, joking and taking bong hits. Then they take turns spinning a big wheel on the wall with a bunch of numbers on it. Where ever it lands they LOL and say good work guys.

Denny
11-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey all-
The FRA fought this tooth and nail. Crabtree told us a tale.
But there is ONE BIG DIFFERENCE between now and last year: The NRC report that says MRFSS has unknown biases and can not be used for anything other than long term trend analysis. The report also pointed out that currently the data is being misused, with the resulting numbers causing unnecessary regulations.

NOTICE: The bleak future painted by AJ is what will happen if we continue to only rise to the occassion, instead of taking control of situation early on.
The FRA will be taking some interesting steps in the next week. If they were divulged here, Dr. Crabtree and his underlings would know what is up and try to plan a counter-move.

Won't you all, as my spearboard brethern (and sistern), join me in saying hello to Phil, Andy, Steve and the rest of the gang at No More Fishing Service?
You can bet that this post will be sent to every underling and overlord in the whole No More Fishing Service network.

Spearooo
11-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Hellow underlings :cowboy:

Get your a$$es in some rubber boots and go and stop a long liner cuz when the SHTF and the lens of scrutiny is on you, youll wish you headed my advice..IF you say its your job to protect the resources that belong to us all, you are being charged w/ a huge and mounting responsability..I am greatfull for all those who take this seriously..but those who take stabs at recreational anglers, the eyes and ears of science, doesn't make the meassures you take enough to cover up the fact that LONGLINERS still exist... The simple fact the term BYCATCH is in the vocabulary is ammo enough for my argument... Each juvenile fish that dies in unintended harvest, destruction of fragile corals and sponges under traps, and sea grass under tickler chains is on your hands....
The NET BAN worked now the same people that didn't want it to happen are using its favorable results to say the recreational sector is taking more, a last gasps of those who think harvesting wild animals at any cost (ie high by catch) as if the resource were some huge pie for them to give out to their croonies. I have news for you. some people actually care.. When it comes down to it, these are folks you don't wan't to be pushings. Sure the public at large doesn't have a clue of what happens under water, but truth will come to ligth and belive me reading this post as preparation for a figth against to rec sector , you are in way over your head...500lbs bull sharks have a funny habit of pressing on the more you retreat soo HTFO

chasintail
11-25-2006, 08:21 PM
We are losing Denny.ARS is closed from October to April before the new rule.Now grouper is closed for a month.How long before it closed all winter like snapper?
Regardless of the bullshit studies, they make these closures when the fair weather fisherman has his/her boat in storage.They don't give a shit about the season being closed.
How do we get these people on board?The people who fish offshore twice a year make up a HUGE percentage of anglers.The don't read or even know about whats going on until a avid diver/fisherman tells them.

stickitfishy
11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
The only way to deal with this crap is to get a constitutional ammendment passed against longlining, just like the net ban. How do we do it? How many sigs do we need? Florida Sportsman could definitely help too. If the IIC (Idiots In Charge) want to be in the pockets of longliners, then we must empty those pockets. Please, I will do my part. When the gov doesn't listen we must make them listen!

P.S. Even though I think shrimp trawling should be banned as well, I think it would be harder to pass the banning of both together vs. just longlining.

bgbill
11-26-2006, 02:01 PM
The only way to deal with this crap is to get a constitutional ammendment passed against longlining, just like the net ban. How do we do it? How many sigs do we need? Florida Sportsman could definitely help too. If the IIC (Idiots In Charge) want to be in the pockets of longliners, then we must empty those pockets. Please, I will do my part. When the gov doesn't listen we must make them listen!

P.S. Even though I think shrimp trawling should be banned as well, I think it would be harder to pass the banning of both together vs. just longlining.

The Net Ban worked as a Constitutional Ammendment because the netting was done on State Waters, Longlining takes place in Federal Waters, as does most Bottom Trawling (shrimping).

Constitutional Ammendments can only have 1 issue on them.

stickitfishy
11-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I know Bret, but if we ban them from docking here then at least it is a start and maybe other states would follow. The abuse of power is absurd don't you agree!

bgbill
11-26-2006, 02:53 PM
I know Bret, but if we ban them from docking here then at least it is a start and maybe other states would follow. The abuse of power is absurd don't you agree!

I think since it pertains to Federal fish laws, as long as you don't stop in State waters it wouldn't matter what laws the state came up with, much like the 10 Snapper are allowed in federal waters and only 5 in state waters.

I don't like the way the laws have been passed lately, but we will continue to fight them.

Megabeast
11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
The reason we are losing the battle IMO is because the powers that be don't give a shit who any of us are. I don't think there is anything currently happening that will make them ever care either. They are big business and big money, we are no one to them. The corruption is so out of hand it's ridiculous, so playing by the rules is not going to yield the results you want IMO. What Spearooo said in the other thread is right on, what is being gained showing up at meetings where the conclusions are already drawn before the meeting begins?

As stupid as it might sound to alot of you, picketting, protesting and being really really verbal (not offensive, just verbal) is the only way we are ever going to be heard. The casual public needs to know of the serious plight that stands against the recreational fisherman (a few articles in the paper is awesome, but doesn't send the message to enough people). This has to somehow, get out on television. If there is media coverage of angry fisherman protesting over this issue (that means white collar boys with big boats, and good ole' boys with small boat, all putting in the time), I believe we can take the fight to the next level. When people sees a couple hundred guys holding up signs about corruption, false science, and the pocket lining politics of NMFS, they will take heed.

Chasin' asked how are we supposed to get the sporty guy who goes fishing 1-2 times per year involved, bring the story to his living room via the 6 o'clock news. Don't just be a flash either, the story of people protesting must be heard over and over again, and so the cause will be heard with that story.

I understand it's hard to organize enough people even for the current agenda(especially ones with good jobs), but if I had the choice of being able to actually be heard, as opposed to going to a meeting where I can speak, but I will never matter, I'll take the former everytime.

Petra
11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I think MegaBeast makes a fantastic point. Are voices aren't loud enough to carry the message to the ears of The Powers That Be to even begin to care about the issues prior to the time for decision making.

How about picketing, protesting, and being verbal at a big boat show? Most likely there will already be media coverage and some well-placed tip-offs to reporters (television and print) could be made.

fishkilla
11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
i got the word from my dad while i was in LA this week. nothing like sticking it to the guys who aren't the main problem. is anyone starting to wake up yet? what is the battle plan denny? looks like i'll have some free time coming up in feb and march.

Petra
11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

fishkilla
11-28-2006, 09:56 PM
petra we might have to run a covert operation of our own since there doesn't seem to be much outrage by our apethetic members. if we break into mr. crabtrees office you can distract the other emplyees while i put him in a potato sack and haul him out into the gulf. maybe seeing all the grouper out there will change his mind. if not we can leave him in the sack on the bottom! :)

polespear
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
petra we might have to run a covert operation of our own since there doesn't seem to be much outrage by our apethetic members. if we break into mr. crabtrees office you can distract the other emplyees while i put him in a potato sack and haul him out into the gulf. maybe seeing all the grouper out there will change his mind. if not we can leave him in the sack on the bottom! :)

:knees: :knees:

Petra
11-29-2006, 06:13 AM
Fishkilla, I like the way you think. Still waiting for someone to jump on the bandwagon here!