PDA

View Full Version : spearfishing regulations in panama

loanshark
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Does anyone no where I can find out the Regulations for Spearfishing in panama. I know its free dive only but I want to make sure all species are permitted . I keep getting conflicting information on Bill fish. I was told by my outfitter last time I was there that they were not allowed but I keep seeing people take them . Like this new World record marlin for example.

Thanks!

Wahooooo!
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Maybe panamaspearo can help you?

ROBERTO REYES
12-19-2006, 10:38 PM
You are not allowed to take any kind of
bill fish in Panama.
I ask the same thing, I was told:
"El 20 de agosto de 1997, el entonces presidente Ernesto Pérez Balladares firmó el decreto ejecutivo No. 33, mediante el cual que quedó “totalmente prohibida la pesca, captura, aprovechamiento, procesamiento seco salado y la exportación comercial” de las especies llamadas picudos: Marlin Negro, Marlin Azul, Marlin Rayado, Pez Lanceta, Marlin Blanco, Pez Vela y el Espada"

I will try to get the laws, and post it.

JJ Rousseau
12-20-2006, 02:27 PM
And what about this???

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=109253

loanshark
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
My thoughs exactly. Can the new world record be taken where its illegal to harvest bill fish with a speargun ?

deepdown
12-20-2006, 04:07 PM
That should definitely not count as a record if what Roberto posted is the case...

Quetzal
12-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't get your panties in a wad yet. The link said he got it 25 miles offshore. ie. outside of any control that Panama has as Panama does not claim an Exclusive Economic Zone, but does claim a contiguous zone. Read below. Probably why they said "25" Miles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters
"Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most twelve nautical miles (but possibly less, at the coastal country's discretion) from the shore of a littoral state that is regarded as the sovereign territory of the state, except that foreign ships (both military and civilian) are allowed innocent passage through it.

A sovereign state has complete jurisdiction over internal waters, where not even innocent passage is allowed. Territorial waters extend up to 12 nautical miles (22 km) from the mean low water mark adjacent to land, or from internal waters, as per the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. The mean low water mark may be an unlimited distance from permanently exposed land, provided that some portion of elevations exposed at low tide but covered at high tide (like mud flats) is within 12 nautical miles of permanently exposed land.

Control over a contiguous zone, up to an additional 24 - N nautical miles beyond the territorial sea, where the territorial sea is N nautical miles wide, N<=12, is permitted by a coastal nation to "prevent infringement of its customs, fiscal, immigration or sanitary laws and regulations". The United States invoked a contiguous zone on 24 September 1999.[1]

Thus a coastal nation has total control over its internal waters, slightly less control over territorial waters, ostensibly even less control over waters within the contiguous zone, and supposedly no control whatsoever over an ocean beyond them (although it also has some rights concerning resources within its exclusive economic zone)."

ROBERTO REYES
12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Quetzal, what does that mean in English? :-)
I do hope he gets this record,such a magnificent animal,
taken by spear and camera , at the same time, same person,
and all the publicity. Yezzzz,normally after the shot is were I
fall from the bed.
If this offshore spearfishing is allowed, it will benefit all of us,plus
will calm down some very angry spearos in Panama.

What about us in the States, how far do we have to be to spear one?

Quetzal
12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Quetzal, what does that mean in English? :-)
I do hope he gets this record,such a magnificent animal,
taken by spear and camera , at the same time, same person,
and all the publicity. Yezzzz,normally after the shot is were I
fall from the bed.
If this offshore spearfishing is allowed, it will benefit all of us,plus
will calm down some very angry spearos in Panama.

What about us in the States, how far do we have to be to spear one?
That Panama claims 24 miles the USA 200 miles.

Red Tide
12-20-2006, 05:21 PM
I have a friend that was in a boat next to him when the fish was shot. They were fishing out of the Tropic Star Lodge. This fish does not qualify for a record in my opinion.
Call the Tropic Star Lodge and ask them what happened to this guy after the fish was shot and landed ;)
If you shoot a Billfish, it is wise to keep a low profile and not make a spectacle out of yourself.
Just my opinion.

Quetzal
12-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Roberto, acording to these guys the rule you quoted only applies to commercial catches. Now that I read it again it does say that.
http://www.tropicstar.com/conserv2.shtml
So Red Tide I'm not planning on calling Tropic Star Lodge, but what happened? What they just don't like anyone keeping a billfish?

Red Tide
12-22-2006, 07:26 AM
He was fined, and thrown out of the marina. Definitley a black eye for speros. I would not be suprised if the charter fishing capitans try to get spearing banned for non Panamanians.

ROBERTO REYES
12-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I dont know guys, this get so many mixed feelings.
We should really talk about this, after all, we are
talking about an spearo just like us.forget the record.
We as spearos get treated as second hand citizens
everywere around the world.
If this would be a recreational Rod and Reel record,
they would had no problem killing it, Panama has had
many many records of Bill fish, all were killed, weighted
submited, next one that looked bigger, had been killed ect.
It is good for business, it atracts tourism, and so on.
The smaller fish are let go, but many of them die due to the long
fights, specially on light lines, this is world wide.
Buy, it looks like this guy, was on a charter, in the
same place were they fish for Marlins,
and he gets treated like that, why?
And we are burning him too.
If we take the wrong side, spearfishing will
be banned not because of what we do,
but of what we did not.

"THERE HAVE BEEN MORE I.G.F.A. WORLD RECORDS BROKEN IN PINAS BAY THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD -- over 170 World Records! Tropic Star Lodge holds over forty world records at the present time! The majority of these records are for black, blue, or striped marlin and Pacific sailfish. Most of the records at the Lodge were taken on light and ultra light line -- which is what Pinas Bay is recognized for throughout the World! Also, recently we have recorded over 23 Junior Angler World Records!" http://www.wheretofish.com/fishhoo/panama1.html

Quetzal
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
What was he fined for so far I don't see he broke any laws. And why would the lodge throw him out if they knew he was spearing? It's really hard to hide a speargun.
I personally think catch and release fishing is morally wrong, but that is my personal opinion, that I am NOT trying to put on anyone else.

Tedbudion
12-27-2006, 06:39 AM
BTW, Your nick Quetzal reminded of Guatemalan regs. Over there, billfish capture, transport and possession are allowed only for native commercial fishermen (pescadores artesanales). Sportfishermen must catch on line only and release the fish. However, the few sails ever speared there were done so in international waters. The problem is the possession/transport. In our case, just month after legislation was enacted (and we didn't know), we were in a panga rented from a fishermen, so technically we were legal. But the fishermen didn't want risk a mordida and filleted the sail, it soon became barracuda. :rolleyes:

Quetzal
12-27-2006, 10:45 AM
BTW, Your nick Quetzal reminded of Guatemalan regs. Over there, billfish capture, transport and possession are allowed only for native commercial fishermen (pescadores artesanales). Sportfishermen must catch on line only and release the fish. However, the few sails ever speared there were done so in international waters. The problem is the possession/transport. In our case, just month after legislation was enacted (and we didn't know), we were in a panga rented from a fishermen, so technically we were legal. But the fishermen didn't want risk a mordida and filleted the sail, it soon became barracuda. :rolleyes:
Thanks. Interesting.

Wahooooo!
12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a friend that was in a boat next to him when the fish was shot. They were fishing out of the Tropic Star Lodge. This fish does not qualify for a record in my opinion.
Call the Tropic Star Lodge and ask them what happened to this guy after the fish was shot and landed ;)
If you shoot a Billfish, it is wise to keep a low profile and not make a spectacle out of yourself.
Just my opinion.

Someone has the location mixed up because this link says the location was Pedasi not Tropic Star Lodge.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spmarlin22dec22,0,5163559.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines