PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing in Turkey: regulation

virgili
02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
An interesting link about the whole spearfishing reg in Turkey:

http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr/eskil...20060824-6.pdf

If you are a non Turkey citizen you have to respect this reg:
If you you leave from the coast in swimming it is free.
If you use a boat you must pay to the harbour authority a 2 year licence(about40 US$).

virgili
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
The thread: http://www.balikavi.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2857

Quetzal
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
If someone would translate the Regs I will post the under International Regs. My Turkish is not what it used to be.:scratch:

Bitter End
02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Is this new. I heard a few years back that they changed the rules so that non-turkish citizens could not spearfish.

turunc2006
07-19-2008, 02:24 PM
An interesting link about the whole spearfishing reg in Turkey:

http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr/eskiler/2006/08/20060824-6.pdf

If you are a non Turkey citizen you have to respect this reg:
If you you leave from the coast in swimming it is free.
If you use a boat you must pay to the harbour authority a 2 year licence(about40 US$).

Hey Virgili.

I'm fascinated by your above thread as I have been recently looking at the Turkish regs on the official MARA (Ministry for Agriculture and Rural Affairs) website in Ankara.

I'm fascinated to know where you originally got the bit about it's O.K. i.e. free and no licence required if you're a non-Turkish citizen (i.e. a foreign visitor) as long as you swim in the sea from the shore and don't use a boat.

The official regs (and I've looked in the English version on MARA and translated the Turkish version on http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr/eskiler/2006/08/20060824-7.pdf ) has Fishing only from the land for sea fisheries and by abiding the regulations set by this circular without paying or getting permission.

The point is what do they mean by 'Fishing only from the land'. Do they include spearos entering on foot from the shore in this definition? I suspect they do. (They do include using boats at sea under the section where you have to get a fishing stamp, but then you have to do it with an official 'amateur fishing guide'.)

I just wondered if you had a more precise source of info that actually stated it's O.K. for a non-Turkish spearo as long as he enters from the shore without using a boat, rather than wording that just says 'fishing from the land' is O.K.

Also now, the MARA section tends to suggest that if you're non-Turkish (i.e. visiting) and want to spear in inland waters or spear in the sea (with a boat), then you have to get a 15YTL fishing stamp (valid for 3 days), but be accompanied by one of these official amateur fishing guides (who has to have the appropriate permit which itself is valid for 2 years). In this regard things appear to be different from when you first started this thread.

(N.B. That original link you quoted was for commercial fishing and not amateur fishing. As stated earlier the link for amateur fishing is http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr/eskiler/2006/08/20060824-7.pdf)

virgili
07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks's for the pertinent info.
I was helped by a turkish colleague when he was visiting the East Coast of Canada. Basic rules when you do spearfishing in the Med Sea and watever the country visited are: banning of spearfishing while scuba diving and of catching fish after the sunset and before the sunrise...
In Turkey, groupers (Epinephelus marginatus) are caught, but not under a size limit. I guess it's 6 or 8lbs, but im not sure.
I confirm you do not need a licence if you dive from the coast.
I have a long experience in spearfishing in the Med Sea and I confirm you could catch most of the fish from the coast (except tuna!) and that after about 200/ 300 feet swimming off the coast, the depth is already about 60/ 80 feet or more!

turunc2006
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks's for the pertinent info.
I was helped by a turkish colleague when he was visiting the East Coast of Canada. Basic rules when you do spearfishing in the Med Sea and watever the country visited are: banning of spearfishing while scuba diving and of catching fish after the sunset and before the sunrise...
In Turkey, groupers (Epinephelus marginatus) are caught, but not under a size limit. I guess it's 6 or 8lbs, but im not sure.
I confirm you do not need a licence if you dive from the coast.
I have a long experience in spearfishing in the Med Sea and I confirm you could catch most of the fish from the coast (except tuna!) and that after about 200/ 300 feet swimming off the coast, the depth is already about 60/ 80 feet or more!

Hi again Virgili but I'm afraid you're wrong about the licence. Foreign tourists DO need a licence to spearfish in Turkey.

To stone this debate once and for all, last month (FEB 2009) I rang the Fisheries Department at MARA (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs) [KKGM in Turkish] in Ankara and spoke to the head of the department who forwarded me on to a Turk working there for him who spoke perfect English. I'll paraphrase what he told me :-

Foreign Tourists are welcome to spearfish in Turkish sea waters (as long as they abide by the regulations documented on the MARA website i.e. that I've quoted above) BUT THEY HAVE TO BUY A 3-DAY FISHING STAMP FROM THE LOCAL DISTRICT AGRICULTURAL DIRECTORATE (Ilce Tarim Mudurlugu). If they want to spearfish for more than 3 days then they can buy the appropriate number of stamps (15YTL per stamp so it costs 5YTL i.e. about 2 per day).

This is what I was told. (Disclaimer:- I accept no liability for actions of anyone taking the above info on board, but I'm just merely relaying the results of my phone call, but when I go over in June, I'll be buying a licence.)

So where are these directorates? Main towns/cities like Marmaris and Bodrum have one. This link is a google translated list of an original Turkish list of the directorates in the Mugla region of South Western Turkey for example :-

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.mugla-tarim.gov.tr%2fperbis%2fpbs_sblist.php

Different rules apply to foreigners residing/living in Turkey, but they too need a licence and they can get a 2-year licence for 150YTL. Even Turkish citizens need a 2-year licence, but it looks as though they don't have to pay.:cool:

turunc2006
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi again Virgili but I'm afraid you're wrong about the licence. Foreign tourists DO need a licence to spearfish in Turkey.

To stone this debate once and for all, last month (FEB 2009) I rang the Fisheries Department at MARA (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs) [KKGM in Turkish] in Ankara and spoke to the head of the department who forwarded me onto a Turk working there for him who spoke perfect English. I'll paraphrase what he told me :-

Foreign Tourists are welcome to spearfish in Turkish sea waters (as long as they abide by the regulations documented on the MARA website i.e. that I've quoted above) BUT THEY HAVE TO BUY A 3-DAY FISHING STAMP FROM THE LOCAL DISTRICT AGRICULTURAL DIRECTORATE (Ilce Tarim Mudurlugu). If they want to spearfish for more than 3 days then they can buy the appropriate number of stamps (15YTL per stamp so it costs 5YTL i.e. about 2 per day).

This is what I was told. (Disclaimer:- I accept no liability for actions of anyone taking the above info on board, but I'm just merely relaying the results of my phone call, but when I go over in June, I'll be buying a licence.)

So where are these directorates? Main towns/cities like Marmaris and Bodrum have one. This link is a google translated list of an original Turkish list of the directorates in the Mugla region of South Western Turkey for example :-

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.mugla-tarim.gov.tr%2fperbis%2fpbs_sblist.php

Different rules apply to foreigners residing/living in Turkey, but they too need a licence and they can get a 2-year licence for 150YTL. Even Turkish citizens need a 2-year licence, but it looks as though they don't have to pay.:cool:

It's even worse news I'm afraid. MARA have just informed me today (18th March 2009) that if a foreign tourist wants to do any spearfishing in any way shape or form (i.e. using boat or no boat, inland or in sea) then it has to be done in the company of an authorised guide as well as getting one of these stamps. In my first conversation with them last month, I was told I could get the permit myself from the local Directorate and lead to believe that would be sufficient, but today I'm getting a much tighter story.

It appears to mean therefore that a tourist can't spearfish alone (i.e. without a guide), stamp or no stamp. It does look as though a new notification came into force towards the end of 2008.

This is really disappointing news cos I want to spearfish privately. I know they insist on scuba divers being in the company of an authorised guide so it looks as though this has been extended to spearfishing too (if it hadn't applied already.)

virgili
03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
It appears to mean therefore that a tourist can't spearfish alone (i.e. without a guide), stamp or no stamp.
I did'nt know about it and it makes the things more complicated!
My turkish friend told me that if you do spearfishing without a "local guide" far from cities and touristic areas, you should not have problem...
But, in my opinion, you should be better as a foreigner to toe the line in this country!

The fishing circulars about using a speargun were valid from 2006 to 31 aug 2008, this is probably why they recently changed the rules.(art. 6 of fisheries law No: 1380)

'o Cino
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Sounds a lot like Italy. Strongly suggest having all the paperwork on you, and a copy set aside in your passport, along with extra YTL to assist any "in-field fees."

100days-a-year
03-24-2009, 08:07 AM
My first memories of spearfishing are from Turkey in '74-'76 as a kid.The locals would trade anything to get octopus and fish.It was all crude polespears and freediving at the time.

Vardar
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I am Turk, freediving in Eastcoast. Keep in touch guys :)