PDA

View Full Version : Diving The Big Island

DKSocal
02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
In light of my graduation from highschool, i will be attending the Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo on a soccer scholarship. I've done some research in terms of general diveable areas but havent found much in the way of information regarding "no take" or preserve areas. It seems the majority of sites are located on the opposite side of the island from Hilo.

i was just curious if anyone who lives or frequents Hawaii had any useful tips for getting established as a diver in Hawaii.

Burcham
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
My experience is primarily with the Kona coast of the Big Island. Though I've spent time in Hilo, I've never dove there. My understanding is that it's somewhat more difficult to find clear water in that area due to runnoff, etc. Perhaps a local will chime in with more info on that.

On the dry side of the island, most of the coast is divable. I've spent alot of time in the water on the NW coast (Puako, Mahukona, Kapa'a and everywhere in b/t) There are also a bunch of places between this area and Kona, though you'll need to hike or 4x to get in there.

Kealakekua (reserve) and 'City of Refuge' are good down south, and I've heard that there's good diving at South Point.

There is a Blue Water Hunter shop in Kona. It's a sister store to the one in Santa Barbara.

Have fun.

DKSocal
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Most of the maps i have looked at show the majority of dive-sites on the Kona side as well with very few on the Hilo side. Not too sure how soon i will have a car over there so hopefully i will get one and be able to trip over there frequently

DKSocal
03-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, super helpful. So far the locals in Hilo at least have been nothing short of accepting respectful. To my knowledge its a course requirement to take a Hawaiin class at the school so i'm looking forward to learning more about the culture.

as for procuring a boat, for now its a little ways off, however hopefully some investments of mine will allow me to get one while still in school thanks to a scholarship saving me some cash.

thanks again for all the help and the link to the second forum!

el_guapo
03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
In light of my graduation from highschool, i will be attending the Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo on a soccer scholarship. I've done some research in terms of general diveable areas but havent found much in the way of information regarding "no take" or preserve areas. It seems the majority of sites are located on the opposite side of the island from Hilo.

i was just curious if anyone who lives or frequents Hawaii had any useful tips for getting established as a diver in Hawaii.
South Point is a great place to dive. You start off around 30' and there is a ledge at 55' that goes straight down. I've seen kahala, uku, uhu, mu and kaku there. I'm sure that there are ulua and omilu there too. But becareful of the current. If you get caught in it you are pretty much focked. There is nothing behind you so if you go make sure you are a good swimmer and respect the swell.

Place of Refuge is really good too. You drop off a lava ledge into 30' of water with lots of various goats and there are mu and uhu there too. Just be really careful of your entries and exits otherwise you'll get pounded hard. There's lava tubes around here too which probabaly means that there are ulua. Oh there are roi and wahanui here too but the Big Island is pretty hot so be careful on eating those.

Burcham
03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Element,

Are there any dive locations on the Hamakua that you'd be willing to share. I'm coming over in April and would be interested in diving there. I've surfed Waipio but never dove the area.

Ling Killer
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I just came back from Kona. dove a lot of the coast (on Scuba) and found it to be some of the best diving ive done in the islands (short of Molokini...).

The night Manta Ray dive off the airport was the best dive i have done in my life! it is rated as the #1 night dive in the world by scuba mag.

Didnt do any hunting as i was on scuba and just dove the reefs. didnt get to do any blue water hunting. Scuba hunting from shore is frowned on, mainly because most of the shootable fish on the reefs have no catch limits. Scuba hunters can and do take to much....if you free dive there are plenty of spots to hunt on the Kona coast.

The dive operator i used does both inshore and blue water trips, and usually catches a few Ono on the way in and out (trolling). pretty fun time.
As a resident you will get a much better deal on dive trips.

Hilo coast isnt worth diving in my opinion as the viz is usually shot. but thats for me who is there twice a year. as a resident you will probably find some locals diving and hunting.

I'm going back in sept. will be in Kona and want to do some blue water....

ukiman
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
funny connection here. I am friends with the head womens soccer coach at Hilo, Travis Clarke. He is sort of associated with my daughters soccer club here in CA. We are going to Kona next week and will be diving, snorkeling, and visiting Travis. My daughter who is a high school freshman will be checking out UH as there is a chance of her getting on the soccer team there. There are 4 or 5 players there now from her club, Madrid Premier soccer club, (Atletico Madrid club). No useful information of use to you, just funny coincedences to me!!! Can you suggest any good areas to snorkel for the family? Thanks and good luck with school and soccer.

WMELWAY7
08-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I am a biology teacher, and I take several of my students to the big island every year for two weeks. We travel a complete loop around the island, and I scuba and spearfish every chance I get. I do not know of any places along the Hamakua coast that has decent accessibility and safety. Hilo and just south has a couple of areas that you can spear and scuba, but north of that is just not a good idea or worth it. The ENTIRE west coast is great for spearfishing and scuba. Make sure you invest in some of the new Ciguatara test kits though.(http://cigua.oceanit.com/) It is a major problem in any large predatory fish. My two favorite spots for diving are "Place of Refuge" (go in and exit at boat ramp and its easy) and Puako. Remember to be considerate when spearfishing there though. Only take what you will use, and leave the little fish alone. I have seen too many people walking out with small reef fish that should never have been shot.

You can also easily kayak out to some of the bouys for some nice bluewater spearfishing for Mahi Mahi, Ono, and Ahi.
- Todd

Fis_Hunter
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
"Place of Refuge" and Puako are both great dives. I also like to dive off the Sheratan hotel There are some parking spaces reserved for beach access. We dove there three times in April/May during the day and saw manta rays each time. There were three of them there at one time. The visability is good. We would enter at the beach access and swim out turn to the left and follow the reef edge where it dropped off into the bay until we saw an outcroping of coral that looked like a large mushroom. We would usualy see the manta rays about 50 yards farther out still following the reef edge. There is a lot of boat traffic in this area.