PDA

View Full Version : ?????loose

BLUEGILL
09-06-2003, 12:45 AM
I'm the edge of my seat wanting to order a pair of Gara 2000, i've read till i'm blue about all the different Fins out there, yet the price and overall satisfaction with them seems pretty positive.My question is, I tried on two different sizes(I wear a 9 1/2 shoe 42) and i wore my oneal split toe surf booties to try them on the, 11 -12 fit pretty snug ??? too snug i 'm not sure, I also tried the 12-14 on and they felt better on my feet but they was room to fit a finger along the sides and they were bending out along the ankle.The salesperson said she thought that was a much better fit, she didn't want them to tight , that was worse than to loose.
Whats anyones opinion out there

Chad Carney
09-06-2003, 02:19 AM
Bluegill,

You better hurry if you want 2000s because they have been discontinued. I used them for years and sold hundreds and hundreds as a former dealer.

First of all the only two sizes you tried on are 10 - 11 or 12 - 13. Most divers are going with soft sole socks, with little to no laminates on them, to keep them easy to get in and out of. Your O'Niell surf booties could possibly still work but if you go to the larger size you will never be able to wear them with less. You may want to get long socks for winter and short socks for summer. Available from many companies like Akona, Beuchat, Deep Sea etc. and more reasonable than boots.
You want a fit that does not allow side slippage but also after wearing them for 15 minutes you don't want your foot getting numb because they're too tight. You're probably the 10- 11 even if your foot is wide or has a high instep. I wear the 12-13 because I have both of the above but wear a size 11 shoe.

The new Gara 3000 replaces the 2000 HF and 2000 LD (The LD is very soft). The 3000 is a little bit stiffer fin because they added a center rib to it. It is also longer by about 2.5 inches and the blade tapers out to the end but you won't feel much difference there. Many divers prefered the 2000 HF for it's more even flex and are buying them up before they are gone. At first I felt that way but the 3000 has broken in to be a little less stiff and I'm staying with them.

Try finding a dealer that will demo them. Good luck.

Chad Carney

swimndive
09-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Try a getting real freediving sock instead of a rubber soled shoe and then try smaller sized fin. If you going off the beach look for socks with kevlar soles. ed

BLUEGILL
09-06-2003, 05:59 PM
thanks for the info !!! I was going to look into the the dive socks ,good to know that there are kevlar soles out there, as alot of my diving is in very rocky and barnacled surf zones.thats very helpful ---- chad & swim n dive