PDA

View Full Version : Sask's Tuna Trip (rodnreel)

Blackfoot
09-06-2003, 01:37 AM
sorry that this is not a spearo story... but this is the only fishing i have been able to do because of the terrible vis. Left from H&M landing on the "Producer" and headed 110 miles south and 50 miles off the coast. The sea was EXTREMELY rough. Almost half of the boat got sick...inclding the Sask. The water was amazingly clear.. we could see "free swimming" albies 20-30 feet below chasing bait and we could see "color" at 40/50 feet. Not alot of fish were caught but all were qaulity size fish. I ended up with 2 35lb Albies and this 52lb Bluefin which won the jackpot. Hopefully my next story will be a sperafishing one.

Sask

kitefisherman
09-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Nice fish and nice size albacore too. I used to fish out of H&M when I lived in Corona del Mar. I loved sliding sardines back into the wake after a hookup as the mate was live chumming. Did you get the bluefin on the troll? Using a zuker, a Mexican flag or a cedar plug?

Kyle
09-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Thats frikin cool man. Maybe we can shoot some tuna that big at San Clemente next weekend. Did you get that toad with your #20 rig?
Talk to you laters. Good job on chumming, I love to hear that!!

Kyle

joens
09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
sweet

Prodigal Son
09-07-2003, 12:50 AM
That's a beaut Sask. See ya on Tues. BTW kiteman, what made you leave CDM to go live in Florida?

kitefisherman
09-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Prodigal Son:

Although I was born in San Jose, I moved to Boca Raton when I was 6 and have been either here or in Gainesville (college) since then with the exception of 1993-1995 when I was in CdM.

All my family is in California so when I graduated law school I succumbed to pressure and accepted a job with a firm in Costa Mesa. The job didn't work out, and I missed the friends, warm water and fishing that I left in Florida so I moved back to Boca to start my own practice which was the best thing that I ever did since it has given me a lot of freedom in scheduling my time and in setting my priorities.

I still spend about a month a year in California visiting my 88 year old mom and brothers (who live near Lake Tahoe) and manage to get in about a dozen days of skiing each year. I do, though, miss the tuna boats out of H&M, tuna trips down to Cabo San Lucas, salmon Fishing out of Ventura and albacore boats out of Avila and Morro Bay. Regrettably, I was not into diving when I was there so I completely missed experiencing that.