PDA

View Full Version : Fish smell in car how do I get it out?

DonJeffVivo
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I recently had some repugnant fish water spill in my 2 door car, and now my car smells like a landfill. Any suggestions how to get the smell out?

David Deman
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Sell it, and get a new one...

Wayward Son
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
there is some stuff you can get. I think it's called Damp Rid or something like that. We stunk up a friends car last fall after a week or diving & hauling lobsters around in it, he got some of the stuff & it did a good job.

scottg
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Invite someone out drinking and load them up on shots of Tequila. Keep giving them shots and then place them in your car. Now drive really fast and erratic until they throw up.

This is a sure bet to get the fish smell out of your car.

kjflyfish
04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Watch "The Smelly Car" episode of Seinfeld. That should be a good place to start.

NateSmith
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Put an opened box of baking soda somewhere in there. That stuff should soak up the smell.

Either that or the vacuum stuff you throw on the carpet to make it smell better.

peterv
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
1. try an enzyme cleaner, "Mirazyme" or "Sink-the-stink", etc.
Mix it up in a spray bottle and wet down the affected areas.
Let it sit for a day with windows open.
(enzyme cleaners are sold at dive shops & pet stores. microbes break down any protein, ammonia, etc into CO2 & H2O)

Still stinks ? then

2. Spray-On Auto Upholstery & Carpet Foam from auto parts store.
Let it sit for a day with the windows open.

Still stinks ? then

3. Take it to an auto detailer.

and then if it still stinks

4. sell the car to someone with clogged sinuses and no sense of smell.

Brewster
04-26-2007, 12:50 PM
yeah man, I had that happen to me as well, here's what you do:

close the car doors and close all the windows except one, which you leave open about 1 inch. get several industrial-sized barrels of tomato sauce from a local distributer (ask an itialian restaurant in town where you can score the sauce). Then, using a funnel and hose proceed to fill the car all the way to the roof with the tomato sauce. leave it for 24 hours, then open the car door (it's nice to have some spaghetti handy at this point in the procedure). put in some rug shampoo, lather, rinse, and repeat. should smell like a new car when it dries out.

I take no responsibility for any mechanical or cosmetic damage to the car, but I promise the fish smell will be gone! :D

Charlestondivin
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I went through this at the last spearboard open.

Pull up the carpet and repeatedly spray down with febreeze antimicrobial/vacum, repeat.

Soak as much of the fish goop up as you can before febreezing.

MichaelBaranows
04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Sell the car...............

richhermes
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
have you tried Odo-ban? You can get it at Sam's Club. It sure as hell works on the piss smell in my house when the dog had an accident.

intowin
04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I once had the same problem. I then forgot a watermellon in the back that exploded in the heat. The fish smell is now gone.

WonderBoy
04-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Was it on the seat or on the carpet? If it was on the carpet, you might just cut that section out and replace it. I doubt the smell can soak into the metal of the car under the carpet. You can buy floor mat to cover the different color patch or whatever. If it's in the seat.....sell the car.....

Wayward Son
04-26-2007, 01:21 PM
or just replace the carpet with one from a salvage yard, usually that's cheap.

Wayward Son
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
or you can do what widdy did. He sold the car & bought a truck so it'd never happen again.

El Cid
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Where do you park your car? If it's in the sun all day it's gonna be a pain to get the smell out because it just bakes all day.

What I do when I forget and leave damp clothes, fish gloves and other wet shit in my car is to park it in the shade, open all the windows/doors, and get interior upholstrey cleaner. Scrub the hell out of the carpets, then let it air out. If there's still a smell put Damp-Rid or similar device in your car. Use Febreeze if it's pretty bad and you have to drive around still, but the febreeze/fish combo will probably make your lungs bleed!

I accidentally left a box of drier sheets under my seat once, and I had the smell of fresh linen for months. Replace or remove sheets frequently and the car will start to smell nice.

All else fails, a "car theft" may be in order... Any deep lakes where you live?

fizisition
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Go to a used car dealer and ask them what "ozone" vendor or "smell guy" they use and call them. generally for around 45.00 they will chemically treat you car with a guarantee. They will also put a machine in your car for a few hours that works well too.

bhowell
04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Trade the car to me and buy a new one!

Flying Bajan
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Had the SAME problem once... Here was my solution... Rent a carpet steam cleaner and treat affected area - while at it, might as well do whole car interior, including seats, door panels and roof lining...

Sprinkle copious amount of baking soda powder into affected area, leave for a few days, then vaccum out.

Treat entire intorior with Febreeze a few times over a few days.

Smell should be gone then.

primalpete
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
you dont like the fish smell?

Twobittxn
04-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I took my lab duck hunting a few years ago. He found a dead and very ripe catfish and did what dogs do with dead things. I didn't see him do it at the time so I didn't realize there was an issue until we were about half way home. At least it was winter.

The odor-ban and baking soda worked well.

We were back at about the same spot the following weekend and that was when I found what he rolled in the first time.... just as he started to roll in it again.

Marcus
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
"Fish smell in car how do I get it out?"

Tell the Ho you don't have any money.

SwampThing
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
clean the carpet to the best of your ability and then get a product called ozium. it is sold in walgreens and a lot of other places. this stuff will neutralize any odor. spray a good amount in your car and close it. it will eat away all of the odor.

WonderBoy
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I used to use ozium in high school before class when we would smo.......well nevermind.........but it works.........

Griswold
04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Get a new girlfriend.

junior
04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
The drain plug on Marcus' cooler was missing last SBO and I ended up removing the carpet out of the back of my exploder because I could not get rid of the stench. Good luck. I think fizisition has the best idea. Ozone will work wonders on a smell.

MSatt
04-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't you miss trucks that didn't come withe fancy carpet. Just take ther water hose to the inside and out.

firefyterx
04-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Take the carpet out and use a rented carpet cleaner to clean it. It should come out of the carpet but you may have to replace the pad underneath. let it dry completely in the sun, reinstall

Capt.Gene
04-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Put an electric ozinator in the car set on high, overnight. problem solved.

Mikerotch
04-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Massengale Disposable.

Mikerotch, Getting Rid Of The Fish Smell

Spearette
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
OK, I can actually help. Had a new jeep 10 years ago, borrowed a cooler to take home 6 large gags I shot, and didn't realize the plug was missing on the cooler. Result? Grouper slime everywhere.

1. Most important - you need to know exactly which pieces of carpet got the goo. If you don't treat it all, the car will still smell.
2. Take the hottest water you can stand, and mix 1/2 water, and 1/2 Tide ultra (without the bleach). Pour it onto all areas of affected carpet - remember that fluid moves around depending on the slope, and gravity - in other words - treating more is better than less.
3. Let it sit for 20 minutes
4. Take towels and blot the carpet as dry as possible
5. Repeat
6. If possible,let the carpet dry with the windows open.

I hope this works for you, I was sure my jeep was ruined, but after using the Tide, I never had even a whiff of fish smell. I lucked into the cure and treated mine while the slime was still wet at 2:00 a.m. Probably can't hurt. PM me if you try this and let me know how you do.

FredT
04-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Sink the Stink will get it out.
Soak and wet vac as best you can to remove most of the debris, then wet the interior down well with STS properly diluted. Park it in the shade for a half hour or more for the bugs to grow then wet vac out what you can. Allow it to air dry in the shade. By the time it's dry the smell will be gone. Repeat if necessary, but I've never had to do it twice, even with a carpet soaked with fish and lobster slime, shrimp water, and several other unwanted chemicals donated by pets.

FT

Ctglax83
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I know this thread is old but I had something similar happen to me this weekend. I had some fish water spill on one of my cloth seats and a little of my carpet. Did you ever try any of the suggestions on here and get the smell out?

AndrewK
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I know this thread is old but I had something similar happen to me this weekend. I had some fish water spill on one of my cloth seats and a little of my carpet. Did you ever try any of the suggestions on here and get the smell out?

Try Odo-ban dude. I keep a spray bottle of it in my truck... its taken the smell of cigarettes, soco and tequila flavored vomit, dead fish, rotten lobster heads and sharts out of everything Ive sprayed it on in my truck. you can find it at home depot, its very easy to use, spray and leave it.

toptuna
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
1. try an enzyme cleaner, "Mirazyme" or "Sink-the-stink", etc.
Mix it up in a spray bottle and wet down the affected areas.
Let it sit for a day with windows open.
(enzyme cleaners are sold at dive shops & pet stores. microbes break down any protein, ammonia, etc into CO2 & H2O)

Still stinks ? then

2. Spray-On Auto Upholstery & Carpet Foam from auto parts store.
Let it sit for a day with the windows open.

Still stinks ? then

3. Take it to an auto detailer.

and then if it still stinks

4. sell the car to someone with clogged sinuses and no sense of smell.

True about the enzymes. What works wonders as well is odor eliminator from automagic.com I use it all the time. Any odor will be gone.

Hank49
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Time. In time bacteria will consume all the organics breaking down from the water. Patience my son.....patience.....

Think about how hard it would be to KEEP that smell in the car without adding more stink fish water....uh huh.....that's a tough one.

Alashaman
01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
remove the fish

Mike N
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Get a new girlfriend.

And tell her to keep her legs crossed. :lol:

MN

Ctglax83
01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Haha, alright. Thanks Andrew I just picked some up.