PDA

View Full Version : I don't NEED a Wong, but....

RabiSpear
09-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I want one so bad! While I have yet to miss a fish with my Rabitech, and I have recently modified my Riffe, my mind has been swayed. Wong Guns are to Riffe what Riffe was to AB Biller ten years ago, for freedivers at least. This weekend I had the opportunity to dive with Sasa Bratic and GR Tarr, who both rave about the Wong Hybrid. That is quite possibly the most versatile gun I have ever seen. The railgun on the front gives you the maneuverability of a Rabitech, while the wooden, mid-handle rear provides the mass of a Riffe. This allows you to load a gun with the properties of a railgun with the spear of a bluewater one. They are just beautiful guns. Sasa says the silver carbon fiber barrel attracts fish with its luster. Speaking of the Riffe, I loved the new stabilizers I got from Matt at www.spearfishingegar.com They are custom made for the model I have and are a slim, tear-drop shape instead of the old, nasty pizza-looking crap from Riffe. Give him a call and he will custom-make them for you. So in the end, I definitely don't neeeeed a Wong, but I wouldn't be suprised to see one in my quiver soon.

Rolo
09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
I wang one Wong!

mushkee
12-26-2003, 09:20 PM
I heard you ordered a 58 enclosed track hybrid, how much did it cost?
some people said that the guns were very unaccurate when powered up because of the lightness of the cf barrell, is that true?
i know for a fact for the 50inch model people couldnt even use 2 5/8 bands...they had to go for 2 9/16 bands..

im really interested in the 58 or 60 inch model, because i heard the side tracking is greatly improved, and it maybe can handle 3 bands?

Kasshia
12-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I know what you mean, RabiDeath. I don't need one either, but I really like the looks of the MG Specials.:D

rigdvr
12-27-2003, 02:21 PM
I changed the bands on my 50" cf hybrid b/c of the way I use the gun. It can definately handle them and if shot properly it is just as accurate. I use the gun in lower vis and usually for med. fish where often I dont have time to brace the gun properly...with the smaller bands I can shoot one handed with just as much accuracy and it gives it all the power I need from that gun. So it can shoot very accurately with the 5/8 bands, it was just more than I needed. In fact, I prefer 9/16 bands on most of my guns for smoothness, so it might just be me...

RabiSpear
12-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Well, I finally did get a Wong. It is truly a work of art. It is an enclosed track, 58" hybrid. I used it with two bands and it shot to the end of the line with that. I will add a third if I put an slip tip on it. It is incredibly accurate, in my opinion. Remember that on a mid-handle gun the muzzle jump isn't much of a problem b/c the handle acts a fulcrum. This means that the bands can actually pull up the REAR of the gun- and it shoots low. The mass of the wood in the handle helps negate that. It may just be me, but I think the enclosed track helps with more that just shaft whip. It seems to make everything about the gun shoot more straight. The silver carbon fiber is cool too. As to my other X-mas present- my fiancee got me the new Matrix fiber plastic fins. Omigosh! Those are also amazing. So responsive that they shoot you through the water with so little effort. I think I may post a product review at some point.

mushkee
01-08-2004, 10:01 PM
thanks for all the help...
i basically got the same gun except i got a black carbon fiber barrell...

Prodigal Son
01-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by RabiDeath
As to my other X-mas present- my fiancee got me the new Matrix fiber plastic fins. Omigosh! Those are also amazing. So responsive that they shoot you through the water with so little effort. I think I may post a product review at some point.

Doh! Where do you guys find women like this?! Maybe it's because you're not married quite yet ;) . I certainly hope you do post a review. I've wanted to get a pair of those Matrix/Waterway blades for awhile, but my wife utterly loathes my spearfishing.

Vin
01-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Rabideath- What did your gun cost?

Thansk,

Vin

mushkee
01-14-2004, 11:59 AM
its costs 735

divefan
01-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Rabi,

Can you post a picture of the top of the gun? I would like to see how he does the enclosed track on a barrel gun like the hybrid. Are all his hybrid's enclosed track or is that an additional option?

Thanks.

RabiSpear
01-15-2004, 07:44 AM
My digital camera pooped out, but I will as soon as I get a new one. Sorry...

rigdvr
01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
if Im not mistaken the enclosed tack is only on the wooden portion of the gun(rear). The barrel has the regular track. They say by the time the shaft is that far down the track shaft whip is no longer an issue.

RabiSpear
01-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, it is basically the MG special for the first 1/2 of the gun and then a railgun after that.

mushkee
01-15-2004, 06:54 PM
it has a enclosed track and than a accu-track(rail) on the barrell

divefan
01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys.

It makes more sense to me now. The back is like the normal enclosed track and the barrel is like a rail gun. Still would like to see a picture if anyone has one available.