PDA

View Full Version : Ft Laud after-swell report

El Cid
05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Myself and Swamp Thing did a shore dive from Ft Lauderdale today. Water was flat and warm with a small northeast swell rolling though. Viz was milky closer to shore and was a hazy 20ft or so on the outer reef. The sun being out helped, but it was in and out. I got a red grouper and Adrian got a gag on the ledges. On the way in we were crossing the reefs and Adrian was tracking a fat grover when I had a cobia swim up to my face. The cobia is my new unicorn and just like all the other before this one, it was too small! :mad: I had a perfect bead on it the whole time and it gave me a few passes then left. Other than that it was a fun quick dive, got lunch for tomorrow!

ApneaSpearo
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
nice bro, glad you made it out, and thanks for the vis report.

how long are you in town? Davie will be back next weekend, you should join us on the jon boat, Adrian, you too if you want...

SeaWeed
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Sounds good. I was going today but decided to go tommorow in hopes of better vis.

El Cid
05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys!

Kris, I'll be home until the end of June. I'm down for any trips, just let me know!

Hector
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Nice job boys, Glad to hear you guys got out.

El Cid
05-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Hector, I checked out your bluewater hand-cannon...Damn!!! That's a badass piece of art you've got, the pics really don't do it justice!

PipinFan
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
You know, I've always like beach dives from Ft Lauderdale even for a short dive you can end up with something,today we went out on one of my very best friend boat (a new 26 footer Prokat center console ) from Homestead till open ocean,I free dove for over 2 hours and the bottom on that place looks like Nagasaki after the atomic bomb was thrown there :( :( I saw like 3 Cudas "they where in a hurry" and a turtle and THAT'S IT !!! I searched on basically every rock,ledge etc etc etc from 25 to 35 feet deep and NOTHING !!! We who lives in Fort Lauderdale are lucky guys to have such a nice piece of ocean right by our doors because in Miami most of the bottom is over fished and beat up :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(

PargoAmargo
05-10-2007, 10:20 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Shhh.jpg

JUPITERDIVER4
05-10-2007, 10:26 PM
good job its on now

El Cid
05-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Actually, whenever I go off the beach in Ft Lauderdale I don't actually find any fish because it's so fished out and demolished. It's really not even worth the trip and I don't recommend it!! I usually hit up the fish market and then concoct amazing tales over a few tumblers of scotch and then write about it on spearboard! I don't even know how to freedive, I live in Arkansas! I just lurk on spearboard and then collect info so I sound like I know what I'm talking about! The secret is out!

PipinFan
05-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Actually what I said yesterday about FT Lauderdale is all BS, it is true that that place is over fished,life guards all over asking you to leave the area,boats all over your head,police officers all over :( :(

You know when you get drunk you should not seat on your computer to write S**& ...

:stupid:

SwampThing
05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
it was a good time. the gag wasn't a monster in any sense but it will be awesome on the grill later.

ApneaSpearo
05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
hey David, you ALWAYS have pics of your fish... where are they this time? i'm sick and don't know if i can even dive this weekend, i want to see some speared fish.

Number1StunNer
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Kris don't tell me that...I was actually just about to call you...I'm heading out tomorrow...btw I've got the whole next week off so give me a call if you head out all I've been doing during this bad weather is working on that boogie board dive float and making mods to my gun....either way...give me a call when you're ready to get back in the water.

El Cid
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
hey David, you ALWAYS have pics of your fish... where are they this time? i'm sick and don't know if i can even dive this weekend, i want to see some speared fish.

Sorry dude, the red is being fried as we speak...I didn't have my camera with me before I filleted it. :rolleyes:

JHO007
05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Vis isn't all that much better out deeper. I did one tank in about 70ft, on Thrusday, and it was 10-20ft depending on where on the wreck we were. But the current wasn't too bad. Got a few hogs and some snaps though.