PDA

View Full Version : Middle Grounds Charters on 36' Cubera

Chad Carney
09-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Cubera, my newly repowered dive boat is now back in the water.

Right after DEMA, October 8th - 12th, I'll resume 1 and 2 day
private charters to the Grounds and the rest of the best sites in the Gulf.

*She's a lot faster now, repowered with a new 500 HP Yanmar diesel! Just hit a top end of 28.5 knts on her sea-trial and cruises at 26 knts lightly loaded!!

*The new Northern Lights 6 kw generator powers the AC, Heater & Hot Water Heater... as well as microwave, toaster, coffee maker, refrigerator, TV, DVD and other comforts previously restricted to shore power.

Also just added a new Garmin 320C bottom finder and a new JRC radar unit to the already stacked instrumentation box.

At 36' x 13.5' there's plenty of room for 2 to 4 experienced divers and 6 to 7 tanks each.

Comfort and Speed.

See www.mobilescuba.com for photos and the pricelist.

Capt Chad Carney
Spear BIg Fish Charters
727-423-7775
cubera@ij.net

MarkD
09-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Chad, congrats on the completion of the upgrades. Looks like a great boat.

Wet Spot
09-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Sounds sweet Chad. Nothing like a big and fast boat to make a trip more enjoyable. I'll have to get in touch because I really want to try that (especially since I got Daryls gun named after the MG...).

Right now it's too close to the bow season for whitetails. Heading up to Illinois to put a shaft in a 250+lber!

zds3488
09-26-2003, 04:54 PM
sweet looking boat chad

sharpshooter
09-26-2003, 06:48 PM
That is a great improvement. How much better is your new bottom machine compared to the old one? I thought the old one did a great job. Hot water will be a big plus in the winter time. Do you still keep the boat in the same place? I'd like to see the new improvements. Remember your motto " No Rookies for the MG" ? Did that change? See ya!!!

TGuthrie
09-26-2003, 09:00 PM
What about some pics of the new and improved fish slayin machine?

Chad Carney
09-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a big job I don't want to do again for a long time. Even though I didn't do any of the technical installation, the preparation tear down was not easy. Then it was stessing finding out the engine was a foot longer than the Cat and wouldn't fit, that the fuel pick ups were not big enough, water intake too small...it went on and on...nothing throwing money at it couldn't fix however.
Now I'm putting back the deck, hatch, bridge rails, electonics installation etc.

Jose', the Garmin 320c is an awesome recorder! The best reading color screen in bright sunlight that I have seen. My Lorance puked over a year ago and I replaced it with a Garmin 240 Blue just for a back up unit for the 320c. Even the 240B is a better unit than the Lowrance.. They are both 500 watts and have interchangable transducers.

AC & Heat will be nice this winter, but HOT WATER is really the nutts!

It's still NO ROOKIES aboard...and always will be! When I teach on other's boats that's different...but this boat is for competent divers only. (They don't have to be experienced shooters, just good divers.)

I have to take some more pics soon, like blazing at 26 knots, but I'm still working on the exterior and cleaning up.

This shot was before the sound shield was put on the generator, no deck, and the Yanmar just set in place.

Capt Chad

Spearchucker
09-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Chad, I have had the 320C for some time, and yes it is a very nice unit. Came out in April, and I bought it in April.

dagodiver
09-28-2003, 12:21 PM
great pics chad, great upgrades on the ride......
will talk to you soon about a trip.

sharpshooter
09-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Would like to check her out sometime. Even if your working on it some sat. or sunday. All that white paint will be a pain in the butt to keep clean. But, any leak will show up fast. Hope, you shoot a big fish on her first offshore trip. Would be great !!!!

joel mcqueen
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
nothing like new engine boat sounds great like heat bones getting old still kill with the best whens next trip and how much

Shooter Dan
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
I don't really get the in season thing. It's not like you're catering to the tourist?

If I'm a diver and I choose to go with you, and it becomes a repeat business thing, do you cut deals on your season rates?

There's lots of rigs making it out there these days, but the small crowd 2-3 people seems like a great selling point.

Do you always have a mate on your overnighters?
3 passengers plus two crew members?

Do you and your mate always dive with your charters?

These are some questions I'm sure everyone has.

Thanks Chad.

Chad Carney
09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Shooter Dan,

Thanks for asking the questions I'm sure many will want to know. I'll try to answer as many as I can here.

You can go to my website below for lots of photos, maps, site descriptions and the pricelist. Just figured out how to run the Front Page upgrade so now the site will be changing constantly.

Cubera has been my boat since 1996 but only chartering since 2001 after opening my own business. Prior to that I managed a big dive store for over 20 years, running trips, selling equipment, and teaching.
Cubera made some good trips but by the end of 2002 the old Cat diesel was dying. Repairs were eating me alive and not really fixing anything.

That's all taken care of now! And the new generator topped it off right! The boat is a unique combination of size, speed and creature comforts.

Native to St Petersburg, and having had boats on the Gulf all my life, I know my way around it's waters.

"I only want to run the kind of trip I would want to go on myself! I enjoy meeting and taking good divers out to dives that are as good as any in the world, and seeing them shoot personal record fish!"

I think a 36' x 13.5' boat is too crowded with 5 or 6 divers. That's why 4 is my maximum, not the legal limit. Plus the dive sites are not sufficiently sized for more than a couple of divers at a time, even in the Grounds.

As you have seen no rookies are allowed, that said, there are very few captains that will treat you with respect and dive you like I will. (Unless proven undeserving.)
All drift diving, 2-up, 2-down to get good surface intervals. If you drop on a site and nobody's home, get up and save your nitrox. I'll redrop you on a fresh site. We often dive 10 to 12 times on 6 to 7 tanks in the Grounds in two days. That's 20 to 24 sites. I've taken divers to the 950s, 2/3rds of the way to Panama City. If technically certified we dive the Elbow, deep wrecks or sinks from 170 to 200 ft. Advanced EAN and Deco certified divers to 150 ft. (Taken qualified divers to 300 FSW.) I can help with training for spearfishing dives to new levels.

Customers will have to ask me or a mate to dive with them. I prefer to scout new spots between your dives. I do a lot of explaining and asking about where you might like to dive, giving you choices. If you still want to dive in the Grounds at 7:30 pm it's ok with me. You tell me when you're done and when you want to get home. (Within safe limits of course.)
Sometimes I'll have a mate, but the boat doesn't need one, so sometimes it'll just be me. Nobody else Captains the boat for me.

I know there are some, but very few boats that run to the good stuff in the Gulf. I've been on a lot of them.
I don't know of any others with variable prices?
It's a little confusing but bear with me for a minute.

If only two divers want to book the boat instead three, I have a rate to make that more affordable. The same if it's three instead of four. It's obviously not about money. (If my insurance goes up again next year like it did this year, I may be forced to stop.)

The whole boat is for charter, not individual slots.
With Spearboard it should be easy for divers to get together with people they know and can check out, instead of going with strangers.

It makes sense to offer a break to divers who can dive during the week or who keep diving all year when everybody else bags it. Although I have out of state customers, it's not the tourist season I'm talking about, it's the diving season. They run just about opposite. (Just like scuba classes going down in price over the winter.)
My time is divided between charters, classes, personal dives, and sales representation, so weekends get snapped up pretty quick.

We always gut our fish for proper icing, so Cubera's fish records are not whole weight like everybody else seems to do it today. Here they are:

Black grouper-115 lbs
Gag grouper- 59 lbs
Hogfish- 22 lbs
Amberjack- 90 lbs
Cubera snapper- 70 lbs
Mutton snapper-19 lbs
Cobia 56 lbs
Mangrove-10 lbs
Tuna-0
Wahoo-0

"Come on out and let's set some new ones!"

Feel free to ask more questions.

Capt Chad Carney
www.mobilescuba.com
cubera@ij.net
727-423-7775

Spearchucker
09-30-2003, 10:20 PM
That sure is a pretty boat.

Chad Carney
09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks John,

But she's not too pretty to get bloodied up!

Chad

Sheri
10-01-2003, 01:01 AM
I can't say enough about Chad's boat, spots, professionalism, knowledge, safety, etc. I wouldn't go out to the Middlegrounds with just anybody, and Chad's charter exceeded my expectations. I can only imagine what these upgrades have added to the whole Middlegrounds experience! Way to go, Chad.

SemorBugs
10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Chad,
Paul just called me today and said start planning. I have not been in the Gulf since last year on the Empire Mica. As a NE FLA diver we don't have a chance on all those pretty hogs you guys are always posting. I am looking forward to the trip and the hogs. See you right after DEMA. Put us on them, their done.
John aka The Dive Nazi

TGuthrie
10-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Chad,
Have you got a chance to get the boat out with the new power pack? If so, how did it do, was your estimated speed correct?

Tom

Chad Carney
10-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Tommie,.

Yeah, I blasted out to the Permit Barge and South Cty Tug Sun. between 28.5 and 24 knots, but I wasn't heavy yet. I filled it up, 300 gallons fuel total plus added two 162 qt coolers full of water, still a little under the full load I usually take. Solid 28 to 24 knots. I'm using a loaner prop until we determine the best one for the boat.

This one aint bad.

Vis was top to bottom!

Chad

Spearchucker
10-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Chad,

Anytime you need some "weight" for further engine testing, let me know ;)