PDA

View Full Version : Another pole spear question

BreathlessSight
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
So after contacting people I realized some people are just to busy to talk I guess. So I was wondering, how do you set up a slip tip on a pole spear. Preferably the Manny Puig spear? The real question on my mind is what do you do with the left over cable? You dont have any bands to tuck it in like on a gun.
Thanks

mnguy
06-08-2007, 02:37 PM
So after contacting people I realized some people are just to busy to talk I guess. So I was wondering, how do you set up a slip tip on a pole spear. Preferably the Manny Puig spear? The real question on my mind is what do you do with the left over cable? You dont have any bands to tuck it in like on a gun.
Thanks

Get an orthodontic rubber band and put it around the shaft of the slip tip down from the head. Slide the cable under the rubber band until it is at the desired tightness.

Bjordnolf
06-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Just let the cable hang.

BreathlessSight
06-08-2007, 05:14 PM
So the slip tip will stay on and wont fall off then? I saw that they put some elastic band through the head of the pole spear itself and then the cable from the tip run through it and then looped around the threaded shaft.

isibrigade
06-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Remember, a polespear tip doesn't carry the same inertia as a gun's tip does. Too much tension on the slip-tip line may result in failure to disengage. GAT-KU has tested out many ways to prevent a 'reluctant slip-tip' and have found that a simple o-ring that isn't too tight does the job fine. You will find major differences in tension from one size o-ring to the next. We have found a size 9 works well with our tips.

-Dustin

OceanEd
06-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Did you get my PM last night? I did 4 dives Thursday, 3 dives Friday, and two dives yesterday so I have not been answering PM's for several days.

Take heed of what Dustin is saying about the slip tip not disengaging if it is on too tight. Yesterday I found a pole spear while diving. It had a slip tip on the end that had not disengaged and the stainless shaft that held it to the pole was bent. This is a classic example of what happens if you hit a good sized fish and he makes a violent lateral move and the tip does not disengage from the shaft.

BreathlessSight
06-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes I got your PM. Thanks! This is all starting to make sense now. I was wondering how that crimped line in the head of the pole had anything to do with the line. Now I see based on that picture. I guess in a pole spear you dont need the tension. I just that that if the line wasnt tight the tip could just fall off while moving the spear side to side.
Thanks for all the info
and I would appreciate more if there is any.

thereefgeek
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I bet that the Gat-Ku slip-tip would fit your Puig polespear ;)

BreathlessSight
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Really? Cool I was going to make one but I heard those arent pricey and I can manage.
Serious though, it will fit a 5/16 x 24tpi shaft?

mnguy
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Take heed of what Dustin is saying about the slip tip not disengaging if it is on too tight. Yesterday I found a pole spear while diving. It had a slip tip on the end that had not disengaged and the stainless shaft that held it to the pole was bent. This is a classic example of what happens if you hit a good sized fish and he makes a violent lateral move and the tip does not disengage from the shaft.

That is the reason why I switched to orthodontic rubber bands. The regular rubber that comes on the JBL/Biller polespear slip-tip is a little too tight and has too high of a profile. If you get close and power a shot into a fish, the rubber stopper can get pushed back by the meat and scales and keep the tip from disengaging. In one particular instance the stock rubber got pushed back all the way onto the adapter and the tip didn't deploy, so I was left with some meat and scales on the head and the rubber was pushed all the way back to the hole in the adapter for the cable attachment(the cable was kinked up pretty badly too).

thereefgeek
06-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Serious though, it will fit a 5/16 x 24tpi shaft?

My mistake, the Gat-Ku slippies are 3/8x24tpi.: http://www.gat-ku.com/index_files/page0012.htm