PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing freedive trip to North Vancouver Island

feign
06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
For the extreme spearfisherman,

Freedive trip to North Vancouver Island, Canada. Some spots have opened on a dive boat in the Port McNeil, Port Hardy area. Expedition into waters untouched by spearfisherman. Boat access into the best cold water diving in the world. Amazing sea life like no where else and surface scenery of the remote BC coast. Hunting for big lingcod, pacific halibut and an array of rockfish. Crazy price of about $55-60 (canadian) per day of diving. We are land based for camping and will leave daily for boat diving. Dates are June 25 - 29. Email me if you would like a spot on all or any of the days. Thanks,

lee

JoeH
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Feign,
A full report with pics will be required of you when you return!!!
Sounds like a heck of a deal though. What are non-res lic.fees cost? Limits? How deep are the Halibut?

So-Cal Spearo
06-23-2007, 12:41 PM
This definetly sounds like a trip I want to take some day. Please post some pics!

So-Cal Spearo
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
any pics?

lovdasnow
02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
bump for some more info!

Ron S
02-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Now this sounds like something I'd road trip up there for!!! I'd need a lot more info regarding license costs, camping, required diving ability, etc. first though.
Ron.

sticknrelease
02-29-2008, 02:48 AM
feign, send me a p.m. when you finalize dates and costs please

beaver
03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I live on Vancouver island and have a few answers for you. Licensing is around $35 Canadian for a whole year for us. I believe the cost for Non residents is noto far of that. You can also purchase a week long permit. Lings are plentyful but need to be sure that you check that you are not diving in a RCA Rock fish conservation area. Halibut are all but out IMO as I have dove for years and never even glimpsed one. Good chances at puget sound king crabs in the 10 - 12 lb range.

check out
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/home-accueil_e.htm

for RCA''s and permit info
good luck and suggest if you come all this way the best fishing is norht west coast out of winter harbour
halibut to 200lbs and ling cods 50 - 70 range
best fishing in the word out there

FishNFool
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Do I need a passport? *(i have abuddy who commited a felony like 5 years ago and wants to come up with me....)*

lovdasnow
03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
ya you need a passport.

FishNFool
03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
What if I ride over from Sequim WA on my boat *grins*

beaver
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
If you try and make the run in your boat you better have a fuel card. It’s close to 350 miles along the coast and the water gets nasty in there with wind and tide switching this time of year. It helps to have one that can outrun the coast guard as well ;-) if that is your plan.

I am going to dive Port Hardy/ McNeil, next weekend so I can maybe snap a few pictures, or just file a small report. I am anxiously awaiting the opening of lings of Vancouver Island South as last week I scoped out close to a dozen in the 15- 20 range and one sweet momma that looked to be about 40 (my record is 43 for a ling). I also had word of Hali's coming into local bays here so I may give it a try this weekend.

Let me know if your trip is on I can help you with accomodations tips and restaurant pics. Nothing beats beer and chicken wings with a halibut burger on the North Island.

wkyongae
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Wanting to camp/cabin, freedive and spearfish the Port Hardy area Labor Day weekend. Would need advice never been up there before. Costs would be helpful.

Ron S
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Wanting to camp/cabin, freedive and spearfish the Port Hardy area Labor Day weekend. Would need advice never been up there before. Costs would be helpful.

I have no set plans as such, that I've dreamed of a trip like that but wouldn't even know how to start going about it. Sure hope one of you folks could post a trip report or two.:thumps:
Thanks,
Ron.

wkyongae
03-29-2008, 07:38 PM
We do the Neah Bay thing here in Washington and thought a Canadian trip might be fun.

FishNFool
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Wky you do scuba or freedive out by neah bay?
I am thinking of comming back up that way this summer....*(hopfully i can get away with a 5mill close cell farmer john?.......I did a couple years of commercial out that way....i know a couple spots that ..well...I bet strawberry has got some lings on it that are 40+.......and that breaks the surface and is over 50-80 yards wide right>?

feign
03-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey guys,

I want to sincerely apologize for abandoning this thread. I have a problem with getting email updates of posts on this forum even though I have the setting in my profile for instant notification and didn't realize there had been replies. I also have spent most my time over on Deeperblue forums. Though, I plan to check in here more regularly now. There is some great info and people on this forum.

I am at the hospital right now and can't post any pics, but will do so when I am back home. We are currently in the plans for another trip to Vancouver island, likely in mid-august. This will be our third to the same area. Last time it was not as productive as the previous year, which was particularly influenced by a closure of our favourite fishing spot. We have been discussing the possibility of a more remote location for this next trip on a smaller island off the west side of Vancouver island, which has less fishing pressure and better limits. This would be Nootka island. A place where there are no roads and is inhabited by a small settlement of Inuit, bears and wolves. Sweet! This would be primitive camping and +/- boat or shore diving depending on group funds and arrangements. Going up to Vancouver island is worth it for the scenery alone whether we go to Telegraph cove again or to Nootka. We enjoy home cooked group seafood meals and sit around campfires every night watching the smoke ascend the tall evergreens.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/canada/73725-bc-spearing-trip-round-3-2008-a.html

beaver
03-30-2008, 02:07 PM
A couple of photos from yesterdays dive. Not included are the scallops, urchin and sea bass we took. This guy was just tooo photogenic and at 11lbs he is a good sized crab (taken at 90 ft). Fishing here is great... even spotted a 40 + hali but he got spooked and poof in a cloud of smoke all I have is the memory.

wkyongae
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Wanting to make a trip up there from Olympia, WA Labor Day weekend just wondering if camping and freediving would work there where ever you went.

wkyongae
03-30-2008, 03:14 PM
OH, and very nice crab.

beaver
03-30-2008, 05:19 PM
PM me if you want info about the island I am not exaggerating when I say I have seen every mile of it . www.islandaquathon.ca. (heh before you look at the site I know I am a bit of a nut)
BTW I am new somewhat to the sight and have tried to post these photos in gallery and all I get is image pending approval. Is that standard or do I have to go about this in a different fashion. Thanks in advance for any help. That crab was soooo tasty so thanks for the props.

kjflyfish
03-30-2008, 05:34 PM
That crab looks like an alien! And massive too! I take it you got it on scuba?

FishNFool
03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow you guys are ............I dont know the word that combines crazy awsume and crazier.....but ya!

Random
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Awesome crab.
I was reading about the waters 'untouched by spearo's' on north Van island.
Its awesome up there. I speared some great fish on the way down the inside passage last year. Its Cold though.
Some monster ling's and rockies (a couple less after my visit). I'd go back in a heartbeat!

feign
04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Here is some pics from previous. Notice that every bird is a bald eagle

VicT
04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes...I also noticed that everyone is wearing wetsuits.....How long were you able to stay in the water? Did you get cold fast and just "suck it up" for as long as possible? Very nice fish. Plenty of lings to go round. The water looked fantastic....Is it normally that flat during that part of the year? More pictures please......
Vic T.

gwedge
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I'll be up there starting May 19th for a few days to possibly a week. I'm driving up from LA and was planning on going to Tofino but have no idea since I've never been. Any recommendations on where to go/stay? We are primarily interested in camping. It's just me and my girlfirend so what would be the recommended way to hook up with a dive partner? Thanks!

feign
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I'll be up there starting May 19th for a few days to possibly a week. I'm driving up from LA and was planning on going to Tofino but have no idea since I've never been. Any recommendations on where to go/stay? We are primarily interested in camping. It's just me and my girlfirend so what would be the recommended way to hook up with a dive partner? Thanks!

There are lots of camping sites along that coast around Tofino. Ucluelet is nice. Try hiking on the pacific coast trial. The only freediver I know on that side of the island is Tyler. (TylerZ on deeperblue.net). You could send him a PM and see if he is around.

Tino Bernazzani
05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I met Lee from Alberta at a recent trip to Baja.
Great diver and good cook. I never got to thank him for the recipe.
Thanks for posting, Vancouver Island looks like a great place to dive up there.

feign
05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
I met Lee from Alberta at a recent trip to Baja.
Great diver and good cook. I never got to thank him for the recipe.
Thanks for posting, Vancouver Island looks like a great place to dive up there.

Thanks Tino. That was awesome diving with you guys. Since I have been home, all I can think about is going back. How was fishing the rest of the week for you? I took a couple decent dog pargos and amarillos on the morning I left.

Tino Bernazzani
05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
I took a couple more yellowtail to 28lbs but that was about it.
Manuel's panga broke the last day we were there so we did not get to go out to the reef you hit on your last day :(
I heard that spot was awesome for pargo, with Eric seeing that 40+lber and all.
If you have any pictures you took I would like to see them.
You can send them to santinober@hotmail.com
Here is the link to the pics I took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Santinober/BajaDelSur
Sorry for the derail, and it was great hearing from you Lee.
Hope to see you there next year.

pakmat
07-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I am looking to relocate my cruising sailboat to the Vancouver Island area. Preferably near some good diving. I will be monitoring these posts for info on the august trip, scouting for marinas to winter the sailboat, diving some cold water. :)

beaver
07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Pak...

PM me I have dove these water for 15 years and know all the Marinas and fishing spots. Let me know what you need and i can suggest the best option.

ryddragyn
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Excellent post - Thank you for sharing! My fiance and I have always wondered about up north and are certainly game for anything that involves spearing/camping. Would love more info!

mrflea
02-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Beaver, I PM'd you about info re: a vancouver island trip

Reading all these posts makes me stoked to go. Been fishing the island for a couple years but havent ever tried spearfishing around it.