PDA

View Full Version : I finally got the old "scar back" monster!

thecrab87
06-27-2007, 08:45 AM
At one of my favorite dive spots, there is a really big uhu (parrotfish) that I've been stalking for some time now. He was shot in the back once, and has a huge scar that looks like a big dent in his back. And he is really spooky.

I see him every time that I go there, and have been hunting him for a long time. Well, on my last dive there, he finally made a mistake and I finally got him.

Yep, sighted down the gun and deliberately shot clean over him. I don't want my buddy to start getting sloppy around other divers. :D

For those that don't get it, I have no intention of ever shooting this fish, but it is fun to "hunt" him. Anybody else have a rule about passing on fish that have an obvious spear scar?

Mark Weitz
06-27-2007, 08:58 AM
That's awesome Willie.

Mark

JLittle44
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
That's pretty spritual dude. Definitely food for thought.

OceanEd
06-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I had a big grouper like that a couple of years ago in the Bahamas. I would stalk him many times but never got a shot. When I finally did get a shot one day I took it. I have regretted shooting him ever since. Way to go.

jross
06-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Your a class act Willie. Cool story.

mnguy
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
There's a sheephead at one of my dive spots that is the same way. I always like to check on it if its around because the last few times I saw it she/he was in the middle of the hermaphrodite transition. You can't miss it either because the hole is in the middle of its dorsal so the fin just drops out into the flesh and comes back on the other side of the wound, though I guess it could've been bitten by something when it was smaller too.

Great story Willie :thumps:

FOWLER267
09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Last year I passed on the chance to kill a female coyote while duck hunting one day. I found a pair of coyotes standing on a fallen tree in some floodwater of the Mississippi. The water was only knee deep or so but the temps were in the 20-30s and the water had skim ice in places.

Normally; I have no problem killing a coyote on sight while out deer hunting ect. But this was differant... I ended up getting out of the boat and getting within about 2.5 feet of the girl and taking a roll of film. ( I would post pics if I knew how)

The chance to get that close and observe her and look into her eyes was really quite dramatic! Several people said. "I would have shot her!" But they would have missed out on the overall experience by doing that...

But then again; she better not run in front of the deer stand this season.

anchorman
09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Pretty zen right der.

Kewl story.

Pastor
09-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Cool :) I saw a Mullet a couple of months ago, it must have been a 15 pounder which is massive. I tracked it with my gun while it swam by but I didn't pull the trigger, it just seemed like the right thing to do. No scar but it must have been an effort getting that big

t-rocks69
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
good job. keep hunting it though.

Bill McIntyre
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Good to see that you are still alive Willie. How come no answer my emails?

NOTANX
09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
i cant lie, i would have put the shaft a little lower.

diverlen
09-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Notanx, you are revealing your inner self here. Mike is going to get a bad report. Ha! Ha!
Please remember, you don't have to kill every beautiful animal you come across, either above or below water.
Before killing, if you have time, maybe you should ask yourself this question. Do I really need to kill this animal???

Blackfoot
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Anybody else have a rule about passing on fish that have an obvious spear scar?

yup...that applies to all the women at Turk's :thumps:

willie, if you haven't been in there yet, after one of your dive trips with bill, have him take you in there for a :beer:...you'll definately steer your spear someonewhere else.

but like you said...it maybe fun to hunt them and then shoot warning shots over their backs...lol :eek:

will

NOTANX
09-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Notanx, you are revealing your inner self here. Mike is going to get a bad report. Ha! Ha!
Please remember, you don't have to kill every beautiful animal you come across, either above or below water.
Before killing, if you have time, maybe you should ask yourself this question. Do I really need to kill this animal???

i know. im not the type of person to kill all the fish i see. i am very selective. if i was stalking a fish for a period of time and finally got the shot, i would take it. i am a spearfisherman after all:thumps:. also, i dont hunt out of the water at all. i never have and never will. i dont think i could bring myself to kill an animal. i know it sounds wierd that i spearfish though.:(

Mambo Dave
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Not what I expected out of the story - but just what I hoped for.

I guess part of my outlook upon animals is like the way Santiago (the old man from 'The old Man and the Sea') looked at most creatures and people and, I guess, the way that the American Indians respected the game that they hunted... Killing tons of fish, or even one small one at the end of the day when no others were sighted, just doesn't do it for me. I'm out there for a number of reasons, only one of which is the taking of the appropriate food-source at the appropriate time.

:up:

Edit: damn, I hit 'Post reply', but I thought it was to the main thread... sorry Sask

mikeleebaker
09-21-2007, 01:00 AM
i cant lie, i would have put the shaft a little lower.

hahaha. i can't blame ya notanx!

i have passed on shots many times... sometimes it's a fish that's been following me around all day that i've kind of bonded with, sometimes i'm just to relaxed and i let the fish go to hunt another day. sometimes it just feels right.

but most of the time i'm in predator mode and a smart fish will keep his distance! :cool:

but i have noticed since i've been diving, the underwater world is very much different than the one above the water line. it's more of a "close and evaluate" situation down there. encounters are more intimate down there. and every encounter is unique no matter what the species. even among the same individuals. you gotta feel your way down there. and i love that!!

anybody know what i'm talking about?