PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii fishing license

IB Boyd
07-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I am heading over to Honolulu in August for work :D . Just got off the phone with my co workers over there, and they said to throw in my freedive gear and speargun. They are real into octopus grabing. He said its all reef stuff they do, so to bring a small gun. Im thinking my reel equiped RA 90 might work OK. Just got through looking at the Hawaii fishing regs....Am i reading it wrong or is there no fee for a fishing license over there (not doing any freshwater). I might not even bring a speargun. Im just looking foreward to diving in warm clear water :thumps:

element
07-09-2007, 10:05 PM
You do not need a license for the ocean to fish or spearfish, but you do if you are fishing freshwater.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/licenses.htm

thecrab87
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Yep. No license is required for the taking of saltwater fish.

Let's see, August.....

Lobster, kona crab, and moi are out of season. Everything else is open.

The size regs here are pitiful. If you spear something below the size limit, you'll be ashamed to be seen taking it out of the water. :(

Hope you have a good trip!

thecrab87
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah, for the bigger reef fish, a 90 cm is way short. I'd go with a 110 cm.

And forget shooting ulua with euro guns. It can be done, but only at very close range and if you stone them. Otherwise, you'll just get your spear bent, your barb busted off, and your mono snapped.

JLittle44
07-10-2007, 03:09 PM
And forget shooting ulua with euro guns. It can be done, but only at very close range and if you stone them. Otherwise, you'll just get your spear bent, your barb busted off, and your mono snapped.Ulua is the same as a Pompano right? With a slip-tip you'd be in good shape wouldn't you?