PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox O2 analyzer

Yep-uhuh
07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Do you guys check your own O2 levels once away from where you get your tanks filled?

If so, what O2 analyzer do you recommend and use?

SnapSlap
07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Randy - I do mine before I leave the dive shop.

Yep-uhuh
07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Brett both of your signature links are not working?

ANd yes I know you analize yours at the dive shop. But what if you are away from there and your sticker falls off?

dagodiver
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Do you guys check your own O2 levels once away from where you get your tanks filled?

If so, what O2 analyzer do you recommend and use?

I check all my gasses just before a trip.
I also check with the shop analyzer before leaving the shop.
I use a DiveRite analyzer.
You cannot be to sure about the contents of your tank.!

Dago.

BluewaterRocket
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
When I'm filling from my known LDS I check it myself with their analyzer. When I'm getting a fill from a shop I'm not familiar with, then I double-check. I use their analyzer, and mine (Analox portable analyzer) after I leave the shop. I've had discrepancies as much as 2% pts. from some shops. In both cases, the fill-monkey refused to give me an air bottle to calibrate the analyzer as he insisted it was calibrated - WRONG.

DiveGal
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I always observe the LDS employee when they analyzer my tanks. If I'm not there when they do the fill, I use their shop analyzer to verify the mix. I also check the tanks myself before loading them in the boat. A friend built my analyzer from a kit off the web. Works great and has a replaceable O2 sensor. Cost for kit was $100 (including the O2 sensor). The O2 sensor needs to be replaced every 2 years and runs $60.

dagodiver
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I always observe the LDS employee when they analyzer my tanks. If I'm not there when they do the fill, I use their shop analyzer to verify the mix. I also check the tanks myself before loading them in the boat. A friend built my analyzer from a kit off the web. Works great and has a replaceable O2 sensor. Cost for kit was $100 (including the O2 sensor). The O2 sensor needs to be replaced every 2 years and runs $60.

This one.?
Great little unit.!

http://oxycheq.com/Oxycheq/Analyzers/E5A337BA-C3FA-476B-A8EE-CB526879C11E.html

Dago.

Surface Tension
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I've use the Expedition model from Oxycheq. Basically the same thing as the El Cheapo but a little nicer package and preassembled, 3 times the cost though. I've heard great things about the El Cheapo.

I check when I fill and when I set the tanks out before I dive. It's cheap insurance.

Dave

FredT
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I check at the shop if they have a meter, then if the mixes vary and depths are close to where the PPO2 will make a real difference I recheck with my homemade and a bit more accurate meter. 90% of the time I dive nitrox I do it on air tables and the O2 clock at the maximum possible depth is not an issue, but occasionally the O2 clock will drive the equation so the data going into the number grinder then HAS to be accurate.

FT

MarkH
07-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I check at the shop then again when I plan which tanks I'm using then frequently again when I'm setting up my gear prior to the dive. As Dago said, you can never be too sure what's in your tank. Your life is riding on it. I have a few analyzers but am primarily using this Analox O2EII hand held model. Very convenient when on location. I've been using it for several years on the same sensor and am still getting consistent readings.

http://www.analox.net/site/content_SD_nitrox.php/language/US

DiveGal
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
This one.?
Great little unit.!

http://oxycheq.com/Oxycheq/Analyzers/E5A337BA-C3FA-476B-A8EE-CB526879C11E.html

Dago.
Yep - El Cheapo. That's the name. I couldn't remember. Like you said, great little unit, cheap, easy to assemble, portable, accurate, did I mention cheap? :)

southernspearit
07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I have built 4 of the oxy cheq units.when you order tell them you want the same as the expedition x.Very dependable, rugged and handy.They are fun and simple to build.Runs less than $150

Aaagogo
07-25-2007, 03:21 AM
the el cheapo2 looks interesting, i might take a look at that...

the LDS does not allow you to calibrate the O2 analyzer with their air bottle... looks like you should either talk to the owner about that issue or change the place where u get fills.

Grin
07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
I always check mine with thier device at the shop when I pick up the tanks.
Once, I checked my tanks and they were off by 3% or so, and I spoke up. Since that was little farther than I liked from what I asked for. Right in front of my eyes, he lays the tanks down on their side and rolls them a little, then he says recheck them now. I did and they were exactly what I asked for :eek:
Anyone have a explanation for this? I guess the gas was not mixed or settled :confused:

DiveOdyssea
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
you know at our shop we require you to analize your tanks before you leave and log it and thats after we analize them first. you need to know what your tanks are not just us.