PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate band setup?

Superfrog
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Okay, got the latex tubing (Mcmaster Carr).

I own a machine shop, so anything (damn near) can be manufactured.

What would be the ideal way to secure the band to the cord for a polespear?

Machine an aluminum insert?

What shape "barb" a bulb or a conical shape?

Best cord? Parachute? monofilament?

azspearo
08-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I build pole spears for sale. Here is the link to my site. http://members.cox.net/azspearo/ don’t laugh it's my first time building a website.
The spears are 3/4" OD by 1/8" wall. My new design moves the hole another 1/4" from the end.
I took out a new two-piece design to Ft. Bragg, CA last weekend for a little R&D.
I busted up over a 100 sea urchins with it to see if they would cut the tuna cord or tubing. This design worked out great with no problems.
I designed the end this way because I was tired of most pole spears having their attachment point for the rubber tubing at the end of the spear.
You can get some ideas how I build them from the picks from my site. I use 3/4" round rod and turn it down to 1/2" to fit the tubing. To attach I use a solid 1/8" SS pin and epoxy. I speared this Black Snapper (Black Rockfish).
http://tinyurl.com/yvuoq6

OceanEd
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Nice, Aaron. How far does the stainless shaft insert into the pole itself?

azspearo
08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks. The hole is 1.75" deep. I use helicoil screw lock inserts in the set screw holes. Aaron

OceanEd
08-16-2007, 12:00 AM
AARON: The only thing to be careful about would be the area where the shaft is inserted into the alu. pole, especially if the alu. pole is tapered. Several other pole spears that have the taper in the pole where it meets the shaft have a tendancy to laterally break the shaft out of the pole when a big fish is hit and he "jinks" sideways with a lot of force. This is less likely if the stainless shaft is insert deeper into the pole.

azspearo
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the input. The biggest fish I know that has been speared with it is a 25lb Sheephead.
The first design I built had 1/2" of taper and most people that bought them wanted more of a hydrodynamic look. This newer design has 1" of taper. I have had zero problems with any of the spears that I have built other then a bent spear.
All my spearfishing has been in California and Mexico I have never tried to shoot fish bigger then what I thought I could handle with one breath.
I freedive and I don't use a floatline on my polespears...yet.
There are some people that have purchased them that do and there are those that also use slip tips for bigger fish.
I'll do some destruction testing on the tip and see what happens. What size fish are you talking about? This may help with my testing.
Thanks
Aaron

Superfrog
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I just machined 2 inserts out of acetal (Delrin) that slide into the tubing with a 90 degree shoulder. I installed 550 cord (parachute) and it seems very sweet so far.

OceanEd
08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Aaron:

California Sheepshead are pretty strong fish, especially if they weigh 25 lbs.

A problem can occur when you hit a big fish and he immediately does a strong lateral movement. It puts tremendous strain on the front 1/4 to 1/3 of the pole spear. Depending on the design of the pole, it will do several things. On the Puig it bends the long shaft that is sticking out of the forward end and that is why (I suspect) they make it so easy to chagen out this shaft.

On the Rydell and Cockernam pole spears which have larger diameter stainless shafts that are shorter and thicker, it transfers a lot of the power back and the actual pole spear itself will end up bending.

As far as I know, the pole spears that are using carbon fiber for the front portion of the pole do not have this problem to the same degree.

I was talking about fish such as grouper in the 60 lb. range and 50 lb. African Pompano that we spear in the Bahamas.

Markstars
11-15-2008, 07:20 AM
hey