PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian sling and floatline attachment

Man-O-War
09-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Tested how speargun shaft with shooting line (for floatline attachment) works with hawaiian sling. No problems, not even with thick 7.5mm Rob allen shaft. Mono was 200lb test. Using speargun shaft with shooting line hole already drilled into it, allows for easy mono attachment, while end of the line is clipped off to the floatline. Crimp DOES NOT travel thru sling opening, it is just behind the flopper.

Check out the dry test by westpalmspearo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dbF8f1Q_8

We will test it mid October in Gingerbread Grounds (Bimini) on some groupers, and post videos

cmfish
09-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Nice. I have been wanting to try this out. How do you plan to manage the line while shooting so that the drag is minimized? Also how much do you think it will affect the range?

Bill McIntyre
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm just curious about exactly how the Bahamian regulations read. I've always heard that only slings and pole spears were allowed, but it is possible that adding a shooting line would make a sling illegal?

Or is the regulation just about prohibiting a weapon in which the band energy can be stored by a trigger mechanism?

Damn, I'm thinking out loud now, but in Hawaii in the early 60s, I used to use a sling that had a hinge mounted on the front of the tube so that you could actually cock it. Would that be legal in the Bahamas?

cmfish
09-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm just curious about exactly how the Bahamian regulations read. I've always heard that only slings and pole spears were allowed, but it is possible that adding a shooting line would make a sling illegal?

Or is the regulation just about prohibiting a weapon in which the band energy can be stored by a trigger mechanism?

Damn, I'm thinking out loud now, but in Hawaii in the early 60s, I used to use a sling that had a hinge mounted on the front of the tube so that you could actually cock it. Would that be legal in the Bahamas?

Anything with a trigger mechanism is not legal. So the last two things you described would be illegal. There is nothing described in the law about shooting lines.

Bill McIntyre
09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Here is a description of that hinge gun I referred to.

http://www.geocities.com/freedivespearo/aboutslings.html

It was just friction of the shaft going through a hole in the hinge that kept it cocked, and then you just pulled the hinge toward the tube to release the shaft.

Man-O-War
09-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Nice. I have been wanting to try this out. How do you plan to manage the line while shooting so that the drag is minimized? Also how much do you think it will affect the range?

Shaft rear hole is used for mono, it loops all the way to in front of the muzzle (when fully stretched), and it's crimped there so that crimp doesnt need to go through the muzzle. "Trigger" hand holds the line, so depending on your arm stretch should give you 10ft shot before it starts to pull the float/line. If you move your trigger shoulder into the target, you will pull on the floatline and allow maybe for more shaft travel before it becomes a factor.

jfjf
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
We will test it mid October in Gingerbread Grounds (Bimini) on some groupers, and post videos

Well I sure hope those are all small groupers because the BOAT can not take over 20 lbs of grouper total.

Man-O-War
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
For test purposes, we are taking 19 boats :D