PDA

View Full Version : First Shot With My New Wong Gun

diligaf
11-09-2003, 11:03 AM
A few weeks ago I got my 2nd Wong Speargun and with all the bad weather, I finally got to try it yesterday. The new gun was custom designed for my needs. Since I’m hunting lobster and fish, I didn’t want too big of a gun, but yet I need a gun with enough power and range to knock down a good sized grouper.

I ended up getting a 45” rear-handle plus gun with an enclosed track. I prefer my gun not float, so I ordered it negatively weighted.

On my first dive yesterday off Ft. Lauderdale, I spotted a skittish 25-pound black grouper running down the reef and nailed him from about 20’ away. I was very impressed at the accuracy and range out of a gun that is only 45”. And the shorter gun was very quick to line up, I almost felt sorry for the grouper, because he had very little chance. The gun just makes it a little to easy.

Anyways, after I sent the black up, this little 22” Red swan up to check out the action. So I figured I might as well get him too.

The gun, which I was free shafting, was very quick to reload. Darryl perfectly balanced the gun. Without the shaft it stands up perfectly on the butt (doesn’t float up). This makes the gun easy to see and to grab quickly in order to reload.

The gun is quick, powerful, and accurate, and not to mention that little Hawaiian good luck… this gun should bring home a lot of fish.

diligaf
11-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey Bucket One,

The black did hole hole up, in a pretty deep hole. I didn't have a flash light, so I just had to stick my gun in there and feel around. When I felt that soft flesh with the end of my gun, I just fired.

Dave

Chad Carney
11-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Nice fish Dave! That looks to be the perfect gun to take while bugging.

Chad

kitefisherman
11-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Great way to break in that new gun! The way I understand it, you shot the black, he shook the spear and holed up, you then picked up the shaft and shot him again in the hole to get him out? Is that correct or did you have 2 shafts? Not that it really matters, just curious. Nice fish.

diligaf
11-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey Kite,

I just had one shaft. After shooting him, he ran about 50 yards down the reef and holed up. When I got to the hole the shaft was just laying there. I picked it up and reloaded with one band. The hole was pretty deep and it took a few minutes to feel the fish with the gun. My arm and gun were completly in the hole when I felt the soft flesh and fired.

Dave

Sheri
11-10-2003, 12:20 PM
For those of you that don't know Dave, he is an amazing shot (has taught me a lot), and he gets the least narc'ed of any person I know when diving deep. He never loses his extreme awareness of what is going on around him. But most of all, I am always impressed how he is able to do both lobstering AND spearfishing so well.

You should see him......he is hauling lobstering equipment, bag full of lobster, spearfishing gear, lift bag, and towing the flag....sometimes against a strong current. He never lets me take a turn towing the flag. Also, he has the most unbelievable eyes for both lobster and fish. That is not easy, spotting both, because you're looking for different things in different places.

If you go diving with Dave, you know you're going to eat well that night!

RichT
11-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Dave,
Nice job! Great way to break a new gun in!

JCACTION
11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey Dave, great going with your new toy. I think that gun makes perfect sense. Where did you get them at. I have not seen a red in Pompano all year!!