PDA

View Full Version : Polespear and Sling Competition in Baja

retrosub
11-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm wondering how many people would be interested in a polespear competition in La Ventana. This would be in cooperation with Palapas Ventana, which is where the La Paz Bluewater tournament was last month.

I'm thinking about a 5-day event, with 3 full days of spearging (two days are travel). One day would be specified as a beach dive and two days in boats, with probably four people to a panga. This would be partially to cut down on costs, because I want this to be a very affordable competition. To that end, I'd also like to offer a bring-your-tent option for people who want to go even cheaper.

This would be around May/June, as this is a good time for lots of different fish. Perhaps include Memorial Day weekend.

The rules would be something like 6 fish per day, no more than 2 per species (I think this is what the Mexican fishing laws are anyway). I'd like to run this as a charity for the local school, so fish would be donated for that purpose (you can keep your catch as well, Tim will bag and freeze it).

This would be for polespears and Hawaiian slings only. It would be interesting to see what's more effective.

So, if this interests you, please let me know so I can start arranging it.

So-Cal Spearo
11-04-2007, 06:37 PM
IMHO I love that area but I couldnt justify paying all that money just to be limited to a pole spear. I mean with the types of large pelagic and reef fish down there I can just imagine the fish stories of what people had swim by them.

retrosub
11-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the input, I'm sure most people feel the way you do. However, I'm trying to count the people that would be interested in a dedicated polespear and hawaiian sling comp. We could fill pages with the people who aren't.

BDaly
11-05-2007, 01:35 AM
why not two divisions?

retrosub
11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
You mean a polespear division and a hawaiian sling division? Maybe. Or do you mean a polespear/sling division and a gun division? I don't think so. Part of the concept is to keep this inexpensive, and you can do that with polespears b/c you can get 4 people to a panga. With spearguns, multiple floats, bigger fish, etc, 2 people is all you get in a boat. Also, Tim Hattler (Palapas Ventana owner/operator) is stoked about a polespear competition that targets reef fish (or any fish), because he knows we won't be murdering the oldest fish. I think if I told him I wanted to arrange a speargun comp that targets reef fish, he wouldn't be interested at all! In the last comp there was an automatic DQ if you shot a reef fish.

One way two disciplines could be combined is that the speargun users have to shoot pelagics, but spear/sling users can shoot anything. It would be more expensive for speargun competitors, probably $150 more just for boat logistics. And you'll have to watch that 60-pound pargo swim on by....

But before I think about a combo meet, I'd like to get an idea if there are some people who would be interested in a dedicated polespear/sling comp. Let's say the comp is $400, plus airfare. I just looked at a round-trip flight from SF, it's $270.

Otis Driftwood
11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Yay For Pole Spears!!

mnguy
11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I'd be interested in something like that for memorial day weekend.

timgfallon1
11-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm tentatively in. I've been wanting to get to know the Palapas Ventanas for a while and this would be a good reason to check it out, without having to get all the gear up and ready for the big guys. Sounds like fun for the wife too. Supposed to hit the big island when the kids get out of school, so it depends on the timeframe.

Bitchin idea! I bet you get a s#$t load of Bahamians.

khill
11-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Mario,
I would be down for a polespear/sling competition, awesome idea!

wwilse
11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Retrosub:

Since you're going to do a 1 day beach dive and 2 day boat dive, I'd say seperate those into two competitions. That way the married slugs like me with young kids can justify going and participating in the one-day beach tournament, and spend another 2-3 days on family vacation.

Everyone else who was spearing for 3 days wouldn't really be affected, and I'm guessing everyone would want to segregate the near shore and offshore catches anyway for competition purposes.

Great idea, and I would be very interested.

Ward

monster slayer
11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
That would be very nice indeed. Pole spearing is the quintessence of spearfishing and La Cerralvo is a great place to give your idea a try...

FishFighter
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Im in for June!! Polespear please...

silenthunter14
11-10-2007, 03:34 PM
5 fish limit in mex. kinda...

NateSmith
11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Mario,

I'm tentatively in for a polespear comp down there. That sounds like a blast to me!!

fuzz
11-17-2007, 10:32 PM
5 fish limit in mex. kinda...

Oh sure, NOW you decide to follow regulations. :lol:

Sounds like a great idea Mario. Keep us posted!

retrosub
11-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Hm... Tim Hattler said the new regs are 6 fish and no more than 2 per species, but the competition will adhere to whatever the regs are.

I hear some votes for June, that's certainly possible.

SnpperWhisperer
12-06-2007, 05:04 AM
After some skillful suggestion from Mario, and some doubly skillful manipulation of my wife by me, I'm looking pretty good to attend. June is winter time down here, so I'll be due for a holiday by then. Oh dear, guess I'll have to buy some more gear....

hardway
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
I'd be down depending on dates, I might be able to bring a couple of guys too, we'd be polespearing. I think June would work best for me, my schedule is nuts for both of those months though.
It's an awesome idea and I'd really like to attend to help get this thing off the ground, maybe we'll get an annual event going here.
I love the polespear/sling only set up, there aren't enough gatherings for us primitive hunters.

SnpperWhisperer: that'd be rad if you came all the way from the NZ man, I'm going to feel kind of weak if I can't get down there from Cali.

SnpperWhisperer
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah well harden up and just make it a date!

Next year we could always hold it down here - I would venture an opinion that it would be one of the best countries for it because of the number of approachable and large fish, despite the water being a bit dirtier than some would like. A pole spear meet here based at say Great Barrier in Feb through to April would result in some very big kingfish being landed, and a number of 20 pound snapper, and there are plenty of other fish ranging from easy to hard that can be included as target species.

Personally, one of the reasons I like my pole is the limited fish kill I bring in. I would favour rules tending towards those of the bluewater meet, where quality and not quantity is important.

hardway
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah well harden up and just make it a date! :D

I was born hardened!

I've got to see what dates Mario comes up with, I've already committed to a four day class in the middle of May, and that may be all the time I can take off. The middle of June looks like the best time for me right now, but anytime is going to be a tight fit really.
Once we get some dates, I'll do whatever I can to make it happen.

I love the idea of having a meet in NZ, with a year of notice I could definitely make that happen.

rojodiablo
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Mario, I would be down to do this, but may I make a few suggestions??? #1. Polespears, or slings. Not both. Slings are almosr better than guns, and without experience using them, most guys would just lose gear, and kill fish they cannot ever hope to retrieve.#2. 2 day meet. BYOB. If you want to kayak it, fine. Rent a panga-fine. Beach dive- fine. #3. Count out La Paz, Loreto, Cabo. Nice places, but I have dove them. Most of thesae spots will not allow much shooting opportunity with a polespear. Too much deep diving for that kind of range, lots of current and the distances to run are daunting. No one is kayaking to Cerralvo. And I am not about to try and pole spear the Bajo. Stick to the northern 3rd of the Cortez. At least there will be shooting opportunities for the divers up north.

retrosub
12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will consider them.

If the northern 1/3 of Baja, then maybe in conjunction with gonetobaja?

mnguy
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM

Im sure he could be convinced to do a Puertecitos Open III and make it non-trigger activated.

hardway
12-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I like the 2 day meet idea, it would make it easier for sure

rojodiablo
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM

I believe Dale would like that very much. And, that area is as good as it would ever get for polespearing. Lots of accessible fish of many sizes to hunt. And, even if the water was dirty, it actually doesn't hurt for polespearing. It helps you get closer. Now, true Hawaiian slings?? They need clear water, to find the spearshafts. I would love to see it go down at Dale's place!! :thumps:

mnguy
12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I believe Dale would like that very much. And, that area is as good as it would ever get for polespearing. Lots of accessible fish of many sizes to hunt. And, even if the water was dirty, it actually doesn't hurt for polespearing. It helps you get closer. Now, true Hawaiian slings?? They need clear water, to find the spearshafts. I would love to see it go down at Dale's place!! :thumps:

During the last get together at Dale's, I tried to polespear but vis was about 10 inches so that didn't work. Got whomped by grouper taking off in the shallows a couple of times but I couldn't see shit even if I took a shit anyways. It would've just camouflaged right in. F*&%in winds.