PDA

View Full Version : spare shaft holder for stainless steal??

Rumbo Jac's
11-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Does any one have any suggestions for where I can buy or the best way to make a spare shaft holder for 48'' stainless steel biller? As far as know biller doesn't make them yet So TB Divings says and the do alot of dealing with biller products. And you can't drill into metal like the wood. because it suppossed to be a sealed tube and poss. internal corrosion from poss. water intrusion.

Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!

Spear One
11-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Buy a wood gun or a really big tube of super glue!

Doyle
11-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Instead of glue, how about 3M 5200. Once that stuff sets (about a week), it takes some serious scraping to get it off.

Spear One
11-21-2003, 08:44 AM
You can do it with our shaft holder kit. First remove the muzzle from the the barrel. Look in the barrel and see where the plug is. You can drill through the barrel as long as you do it in front of the plug. Install nose piece of the shaft holder there.

Remove the butt stock from the rear of the grip. I don't think there is a plug in there. You can drill into the tubing if there is not. Place a piece of light density foam like one of those round swim doodles the kids use in the swimming pools. Cut the foam down so it fits in the full length of the tube. Reinstall the butt piece and then you can install the shaft holder rear assembly. The foam will collapse when diving but will expand when you surface and the expansion will force out most of the water as it expands.

If you do not want to drill into the butt stock, you may be able to hold the rear assemble in place with two srainlee hose clamps.

Good Luck!

SPEARIT
11-21-2003, 08:53 AM
If this is something you just gotta do; the best bet would probably be to get one of Spear One's shaft holders and file a flat on both parts(this gives more bonding area against the gun). Use 5200 quick set(cures in 1hr sets in 24hrs). Be sure to rough up area on gun as it helps the 5200 bond. Then if you ever want to remove the holder use a heat gun to cause the 5200 to release(still not easy but not impossible). I agree with Spear One though, a wood gun would give you alot more options.

Rumbo Jac's
11-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Thanx for all the helpful info but 1st I'm not pleased with the size and weight of a woody so thats out of the question I have shot woody's many of times and that why I got a stainless. 2nd I was tring to get away from drilling into the tube but I will if I have tooooo... and spearit I think I'll try your suggestion I have some good stuff from the military when I was in that may work if not I'll try 3m 5200 !! But I really didn't get the response I was hoping to get is that some where out there is a clamp kit of some sort.

Thanks from one spearo to another...till next time

SPEARIT
11-22-2003, 06:46 AM
If you know a real good welder, you could get the Spear One shaft holder and have stainless nuts tig welded on the gun to mount to, then you could remove it if needed.

reelfreak
03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I know this thread is dead, but I wanted to know what Rumbo Jac has worked out for the spare shaft?? I've got a 54 biller stainless that I want to add a spare shaft to, and was looking for a way w/o drilling. Any other stainless owners that have rigged something up??

mike haromy
03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
the only thing i know is 3m 5200 doesn't stick very well to stainless.

100days-a-year
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Still no spare shaft on Nick's gun.

reelfreak
03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Gotcha on the no spare shaft still, thanks for the reply....looks like I'll have to look into some quiver setups to carry w/ tank or something else innovative.

titaniumdiver
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
My partner in Bradenton is working on a couple of designs I sent him for tube guns. He is a hell of a machinist so hopefully will have one soon! I'll pm you when I get it. ;)

reelfreak
03-25-2005, 04:24 PM
That would be great. Gonna start toying with some ideas myself soon, I'm sure it can be done one way or another..... :confused: