PDA

View Full Version : Octapus Help

OysterToadFish
01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey all, been in costa for a lil while and have got some octapus.. Just cant figure out how to cook them, They are between 4n5 pounds And they seem to have skin that is like 1/4 inch thick.... I have tried slow loong cooking, cevechi, cook fast cooking... Just about everything HElP...... :confused::confused:

ShootIt
01-19-2008, 03:32 PM
When we used to catch them we would take a green papaya and grate it, mix a little water in and soak it overnight. the green papaya is a really good meat tenderizer.
or just eat it as sashimi..

OysterToadFish
01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I tried eating it as sashimi but its to damm slimey to slice thin enough and its super tough, I dont know if there is some specifit type that u have to eat or what....

ShootIt
01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
There are some good ones here http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/octopus you can also google and find some good ones and tips on tenderizing but I found papaya to be the best

BDaly
01-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Arent you supposed to peel off the skin?

kjflyfish
01-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I bought some natural meat tenderizer once and guess what was in it? Papaya extract. I bet soaking in fresh papaya would add a nice flavor too.

Platypus
01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Raw wasabi tako is delicious, one of my favourite ways to eat tako. Also smoked tako poke, and squid luau.

OysterToadFish
01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Dang no secrete hawaii recipes

Platypus
01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi OysterToadFish,
I have only made - correction: helped make - squid luau a few times for a huge party, so I don't know the amounts needed for a small pot, but the ingredients as I remember them were:
Luau Leaves (taro leaves)
coconut milk
salt
tako (boiled and cut into small pieces)
You have to first remove the stems and hard fibrous parts of the luau leaves, then boil them until cooked. Then you drain and squeeze all excess water, return to pot and add the rest of the ingredients and cook. If you don't have taro leaves I have heard that you can sub in spinach, but I have never tried it and can't vouch for how good it would taste.
I have never dried or smoked a tako, and I always just buy the poke at Safeway... :) but I think you can google some recipes for tako poke.

Being Greek, I have grown up eating Octopus, my grandfather was a fisherman on the islands and used to catch octopus, and my mother fondly tells the story of how he used to pound and rub the octopus against the concrete and then hang it to dry. Maybe an old school method of tenderizing, I don't know?

MauiFreeDiver
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Heres what I posted on another thread about tako.

"One good way is to Lomi it, which is just taking the tako and rubbing and tenderizing it in a pot or a tub with hawaiian salt (coarse) untill its tender and all the slime comes off, then you just rinse it good and boil it. Then cube it up (head too) and mix it with
limu (seaweed), hawaiian sea salt, chiles, inamona (roasted kukui nut paste)
you can add tomatoes and onions too. And yes we bite the heads over here, its way quicker than a knife or a kui, and its fun too"

"I just throw it in a pot and basically massage the "pus" with my (clean) hands with some coarse salt, make sure to rub the slime off at the same time as the deep tissue massage, you might have to rinse off your hands every so often, then after about 30min rinse the tako good and your ready, oh yeah and prior to all that, flip the head inside out and take out all the guts and ink sac, as well as the beak (underneath).
Thats what I do if I want to prepare it fresh, if not, frezzing it will help with a little bit of lomi-lomi. "

jstroup
01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Lotta good ways to do tako, Maui Freediver brought up a good point with freezing them. We (when I used to live in Maui) used to rotate tako in an out of the freezer to help tenderize them a little better. We would prepare them two ways; Tako poke and Squid Luau.

Poke: Boil the tako in beer or without until tender, don't remove skin.
Cut into thin slices mix with any fresh seaweed, fresh sliced onions, shoyu (soy sauce), sesame oil and chili paste.

Squid luau: couple cans of coconut milk, 2 lbs tako, big bunch of taro leaf (or spinach if you can't find taro leaf), little sugar...put it all in pot and stew if until milk reduces down...this was a simple family recipe I got from a local buddy of mine out there. Every family recipe I saw was a little different from the las but all offered something good.

Tried biting the head once...almost broke a tooth! I'll stick to the kui : )

jonsjameson
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
When i was in hawaii, we used the octopus as bait for Ulua. It works great and Ulua tastes amazing.

OysterToadFish
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Kool, thanks all next time i kill one im going to try some of the methods..As for biting the thing when i speared it it tried climbing onto my hands and freaked me out so i almost cut the head off...But my friend tried biting another one and it tried sticking to his head....

MauiFreeDiver
01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
After you grab it, swish around in the water back and forth for a few seconds to get its legs straight and away from its head then bite directly between the eyes till you here a pop then its lights out. Ive had takos rip my mask off my face or my snorkel out of my mask, once you get the technique its real easy and faster than a kui or knife.

gcracker89
02-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow hats off to you guys, It must be awful good to do all that work.
I've caught them H/L fishing then use them for grouper bait....The grouper tasted great and a lot less work

Mike Eberhardt
02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I've soft boiled (bring water to a boil, then throw in tako, cover, reduce heat) for 60 minutes, then transfered to a boil of ice water, then the skin peels right off!

My persnal favorite way is to saute in butter, garlic, white onion and reduce it with white wine.

Top with shallots, serve over lightly buttered, salted and peppered fettucine.

~Mike

rojodiablo
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I've soft boiled (bring water to a boil, then throw in tako, cover, reduce heat) for 60 minutes, then transfered to a boil of ice water, then the skin peels right off!

My persnal favorite way is to saute in butter, garlic, white onion and reduce it with white wine.

Top with shallots, serve over lightly buttered, salted and peppered fettucine.~Mike

So HAOLE!!!!!!!:lol: