PDA

View Full Version : 3-prong fun

SnpperWhisperer
02-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Lads, a brief trip report - the highlight being when I cast aside my manny puig spear for my good old 3-prong!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/reidfish/P1010209sm.jpg

We were anchored up at Great Barrier Island and realised we needed some fish for dinner - I had seen some nice kingfish, but nothing over 30 pounds, so I hadn't bothered spearing any.

Just around the corner is a fishy little spot. I must be able to get some butterfish there for dinner in 10 minutes. We steamed around, and in I went with my trusty little 3-prong – the perfect weapon for reef fish. Several dives in clear water later, and I realised there was not enough current to bring in anything good and not enough swell to rouse the butterfish out of the weed where they were no doubt happily bedding down for a safe night.

I plodded on. In the clear water I could see fish gliding on the sand. Nothing worthwhile, just some porae, undersized trevally, parore, some baitfish. Then, a bigger darker shape cruised along the sand. A giant boarfish. Well, the species is ‘giant boarfish’; this one is average sized. It saw me and scooted ahead – it must have been spooked by divers over the summer already. I followed as it swam on, just at the edge of visibility. After 50 metres, the fish sank into a sand patch and nestled down beside a piece of weed, believing it was safe. It wasn’t.

Boarfish are very good eating and have become more prolific in recent years. Better still, they don’t take a line and there are few nets catching them, so spearo’s are pretty much their only human predators. Just as well, because they are not very smart fish. I thought this as I dropped silently on it from directly above. Down, down, down, waiting for a shot and watching the anal fins twitch as it sensed impending doom. I released the 3-prong about a foot from its head, then dropped on the fish to pin it to the 40 foot bottom, swimming it back up with my fingers in its gills.

A perfect 10 minute dive to end the day.

MagicMike
02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice one!

kjflyfish
02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I haven't been in the water since Christmas!!!!! Reports like this are killing me!

Way to go. :thumps:

Mattedhead
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
NICE!...oh, and Kolt....GET IN THE GAME!!!:D

kjflyfish
02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I wish I could! No boat, no shore dive spots with shootable vis, and nobody from the club wants to invite me diving...:( boo hoo.

I do have five gun stocks at various stages of completion. They are going to be awesome.

takowill
02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Nice fish.

Mattedhead
02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I wish I could! No boat, no shore dive spots with shootable vis, and nobody from the club wants to invite me diving...:( boo hoo.

I do have five gun stocks at various stages of completion. They are going to be awesome.

SAAAWEEET! THat might give you some leverage for a dive partner!!:thumps: I'm getting going myself, working up some delrin muzzles for a few 3-band hybrids and trying to decide on what planer to buy. Started practicing with the mortiser...NICE! Trigger pockets are gonna be a breeze.

Take it easy bud

kjflyfish
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
SW, what polespears are you using? Are they available here in NZ?

SnpperWhisperer
02-03-2008, 06:59 PM
cheers guys. Kjflyfish - that's a 2 piece 3 prong hybrid a mate picked up for me in Hawaii at Maui Sporting Goods. I suspect Lance O'Hara makes them, but mine is unbranded. Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine will sell the same type of thing to via their website.

In NZ, I'd recommend Gary Fisher, contacts:.

mobile: 021 989 591

PH: NZ 03 544 8602

He does hybrids in 6 ft (not long enough) or all fibreglass at 9.5 ft (too long) but I'm sure he'd do a custom size if you asked for it. 8 ft to 8.5 ft is a good workable length