PDA

View Full Version : Keeping slip-tips on my pole

SnpperWhisperer
02-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Lads, I am interested in how others who use slip-tips on pole spears keep the tension on the slip-tip so it does not fall off. :confused:

I have used a slip-tip on a pole spear previously. Attached to the spear-slide I had the usual small trail line that you would tuck into the rubbers of a gun, but instead I slipped that line under an O-ring on the shaft, which was quite satisfactory.

I have managed to buy another spear with a slip-tip and I am wondering if anyone has a better system or I should do the same as last time?

kjflyfish
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
It would be cool if an Alexander cable keeper could be installed on the end of a pole for this purpose.

Q
02-14-2008, 05:49 PM
put the cable through your bands.. that's what a lot of us do in California, or use dentel rubbor bands...

Q.

takowill
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
put the cable through your bands.. that's what a lot of us do in California, or use dentel rubbor bands...

Q.

You can't put the cable through the bands on a polespear... The system you are using now is exactly what I use and I haven't been able to think up a better way to do it.
Good Luck.

HUNTINGFOOL
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I have found that if you take a few inches of old power bands or some rubber tubing that has a slightly smaller internal diameter than your shaft and cut them into thin slices or small rings with a pair of wire cutters then slide a half dozen or so onto the shaft (they should fit tight).You can grip the cut up tubing a lot easier than an O-ring or dental band especially if you are wearing gloves then if one breaks, and they will, you have a few more already on the shaft already. To get a better grip on these rings while wearing gloves I roll the ring I am trying to use back over the ones next to it on the shaft so it sticks out and is easier to get a hold of with a gloved hand.

mnguy
02-15-2008, 02:22 AM
FWIW I use dental rubbers when I use a slip-tip as opposed to an O-ring, though I still have the same issues as I do with the O-ring. I've always had bad luck with slip-tips, using the stock O-ring or the dental rubbers. With my old JBL spear the slip-tip would get lodged just barely under the skin and always tear out, or bounce off of a head/gillplate. With my current 9' aluminum polespear I tend to blow the slip-tip right through for a good distance regardless of the position on the fish, though it causes the rubbers to cinch the cable down and hold the whole rig fast, allowing the fish to swim off/get pushed off via the force of the impact off of the end without toggling the head.

Though, if I were in your geographic locality, I would love to use a 6 prong pranger head.

I'm working on making my own prangers out here stateside. Just need to get my furnace to melting brass properly and have the local smithing shop make the proper clamshell mold. I've already talked to them about that end so it shouldn't be a problem, and I just need to make a new lid for my furnace as the last one got too hot and the lid blew up:eek:.

NOTANX
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
you could put a wrap of stretch and seal around the shaft, then put the tip over it. keeps it snug and prevents slipping. will come off when toggled through the fish. you can get a roll of it at home depot.

seacrecher
02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, you know what they say about pictures...

I use a slide ring on my polespear. Rigged just like you would on a gun shaft. The spectra rope is thick enough through the slide ring to keep enough tension on it to keep the tip from coming off.;)

SnpperWhisperer
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Obviously what I was doing is OK, but I might try some cut up rubber tubing like Hunterfool says, or some stretch and seal on the male tip joiner like Notanx says, or remove the cable and put spectra on as per seacrecher suggests.

That's funny MNGuy. You know you could always just buy a pranger online here http://www.spearfishing.com.au/
The standard setup for pole spears in NZ has always been a 6 ft fibreglass pole with a big grunty 5 or 6 prong 'pranger' head, with each prong having a small barb on the inside. These tips are very slow, although when they hit something they transfer alot of energy to the fish - ie they hit it hard and lock it up like a 3 prong, but with more holding power. To be honest I haven't used one like that for years. I wouldn't feel confident launching a spear at a big kingy with a pranger on a longer shot because if you don't secure some bone or a deep holding shot they will rip out, whereas a slip tip or single flopper can still hold OK, wilst beng more likely to penetrate the fish deeper on a long shot. Of course, I am tempted to buy another pole spear to try it again just in case I start feeling differently abut it, but do I really need 5 pole spears to choose from? OK, maybe I will next year.

Doc G
02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Try tying a little 1" loop of dental floss through the rubber O ring. Makes moving back into position much easier especially with gloves.

mnguy
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Obviously what I was doing is OK, but I might try some cut up rubber tubing like Hunterfool says, or some stretch and seal on the male tip joiner like Notanx says, or remove the cable and put spectra on as per seacrecher suggests.

That's funny MNGuy. You know you could always just buy a pranger online here http://www.spearfishing.com.au/
The standard setup for pole spears in NZ has always been a 6 ft fibreglass pole with a big grunty 5 or 6 prong 'pranger' head, with each prong having a small barb on the inside. These tips are very slow, although when they hit something they transfer alot of energy to the fish - ie they hit it hard and lock it up like a 3 prong, but with more holding power. To be honest I haven't used one like that for years. I wouldn't feel confident launching a spear at a big kingy with a pranger on a longer shot because if you don't secure some bone or a deep holding shot they will rip out, whereas a slip tip or single flopper can still hold OK, wilst beng more likely to penetrate the fish deeper on a long shot. Of course, I am tempted to buy another pole spear to try it again just in case I start feeling differently abut it, but do I really need 5 pole spears to choose from? OK, maybe I will next year.

Lol I did buy one online, but shipping from Oz is pretty cost prohibitive for me. One head with no prongs and a jig to hold some prongs in place for soldering came out to about $40 USD after shipping. Would've been a bit more if I ordered one with prongs already put in but I figured I would eventually bend one and have to replace it so I went for the jig instead.

I think that on the longer, sturdier poles of greater speed and power, such as a gat-ku or just a longer aluminum polespear, it might mitigate some of the drawbacks of a pranger on a 6' fibreglass pole, such as the low speed and potential lack of penetration at distance. Hopefully, I'll be ready to go by the time spearing picks up out here and I'll post my thoughts.