PDA

View Full Version : Local Wrecks, Ledges & Sinks

Chad Carney
12-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Local divers: Tampa Bay Area

FYI:

I run 36' Cubera up to 25 nautical miles for a max of 4 experienced shooters, drift diving usually, 2 down and 2 up. The Blackthorn is 21.5 nm out of John's Pass, Madeira Beach. Also in that range: Sulfur Barge, Fin Barge, Cracker Jack Shrimper, tons of ledges and many good wrecks on the way back in.
Boat Rate: $360 ($90 ea., 3 tanks ea. or freediving.) Up to 6 sites.

Lots of fish this time of year on these close to shore trips!

Check out this 60 lbs cobia from recent local wreck!

Or up to 50 n.miles for $480 ($120 ea., 3 tanks ea. or freediving.)
In that range: The Mexican Pride, D3 & D4 Box Cars, Anclote Tug & Barge, Pillsbury, Optimus, Jack Hole, Donut Hole, Bayport etc. etc. (Many lesser known sites if you're tech certified.) Up to 6 sites.

And yes, I run two day Middle Grounds trips.
That runs $1440. ($360 ea. for the 4 diver trip.)

See www.mobilescuba.com for boat information, photos, more prices, maps, sites, etc.

***This report was from a previous post about locating the Blackthorn Wreck:

Many Captains have trouble on the Pinellas #2 wrecks because of the fish shows. And because they don't remember which way the wrecks lie.

Swim a 285* heading for 3 minutes off the bow of the Sheridan and you'll T-bone the Blackthorn, it lies N to S. Get up about 25' or 30' off the bottom when you cross. Some small pieces of the wreck are out there in the middle. I've crossed twice before on the same dive while working the jacks and gags back and forth.

Also swim a 315* heading from the BT for 1.5 minutes from the valley between the main hull and the stern and you'll hit the Seafood Barge and a ledge. Gags run across. (Not much life on the ledge though.) Just about 20 yards south, and a smidge west, of the Blackthorn's bow is the biggest piece of the superstructure, often just hidden from the main section of the wreck. The fish run out there frequently and circle the rest of the debris field.

It's tougher to hit the Sheridan on the return swim because it lays E to W, but time your swim and circle when you see the cudas. The rudder of the Sheridan is just north of the hull, usually in sight on starboard.

Capt Chad

BobK
12-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Chad Carney
Local divers: Tampa Bay Area

FYI:

I run 36' Cubera up to 25 nautical miles for a max of 4 experienced shooters, drift diving usually, 2 down and 2 up. The Blackthorn is 21.5 nm out of John's Pass, Madeira Beach. Also in that range: Sulfur Barge, Fin Barge, Cracker Jack Shrimper, tons of ledges and many good wrecks on the way back in.
Boat Rate: $360 ($90 ea., 3 tanks ea. or freediving.) Up to 6 sites.

Lots of fish this time of year on these close to shore trips!

Check out this 60 lbs cobia from recent local wreck!

Or up to 50 n.miles for $480 ($120 ea., 3 tanks ea. or freediving.)
In that range: The Mexican Pride, D3 & D4 Box Cars, Anclote Tug & Barge, Pillsbury, Optimus, Jack Hole, Donut Hole, Bayport etc. etc. (Many lesser known sites if you're tech certified.) Up to 6 sites.

Capt Chad

I chartered Capt. Chad's boat for January 2nd. There is room for two more divers. We are scheduled for the "50 NM" trip, so the cost would be $120 per diver. PM me if interested.

BobK
12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Still 2 spots open on Capt. Chad's boat for January 2nd. You should all be recovered by then !

We are scheduled for the "50 NM" trip, so the cost would be $120 per diver. PM me if interested.