PDA

View Full Version : personal best lingcod

Dawn Patrol
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
hey what are all of your personal best lingcod stats?

abever
02-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Mine aren't that great.

Washington - about 15lbs
Southeast Alaska - about 25 lbs

scubaian
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
My biggest was a 32 lber out of Neah Bay.
I used to get some pretty nice ones in Hood Canal but that is closed to bottom fishing:mad: There are some big lings in the canal.

pablo
02-22-2008, 09:58 AM
The ling on my avatar bottomed out a 30 lb supermarket scale. So, never found out it's true weight...

Travis Jones
02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
The ling on my avatar bottomed out a 30 lb supermarket scale. So, never found out it's true weight...

How much did the bowling ball weight that it had in it's gut?:eek:

pablo
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
haha, about as much as a flounder and some squid:D

Bulit7
02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
25lbs- Ocean Cove
19lbs Van Dame State Park, Biggest Fish Award for the Cencal Tournament that year!

The "Fisher"
02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
My first and only so far, 12 lbs. Im hoping to get at least another one this year.

wkyongae
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
My son got a 28 inch ling out of Neah Bay last fall. Not very big but he shot it with a JBL D6 mini carbine. Poor little gun didn't even have enough power to go all the way through so he had to hold it onto the spear with his left hand. Sorry no pic's.

Dawn Patrol
04-02-2008, 08:20 PM
hahahaha. JBL carbines are a joke. lol

wkyongae
04-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Well that might be but if we had been members of the club Bottomsounders. he might have won a Riffe speargun with that little JBL speargun. Biggest fish with smallest gun. Kind of makes it a pretty good little gun with that in mind. Besides it is not the gun that makes the shot it is the person shooting it. For the money I don't think there is a nicer gun out there. Under $60 brand spanking new. For perch, greenling, flounder what else would you want. I would dare to say that if you can spear it with a pole spear you can shoot it with a JBL D6 mini carbine.

Dawn Patrol
04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
heyheyehey there. i wasn't making fun of you or your son. that was a nice fish considering the gun and everything. respect your son for being able to get a ling with such a gn is all i was saying. i also, unfortunately hunt with JBLs and think that they are pretty OK guns. i know others who have guns in the carbine series and i just don't think they are the best.

wkyongae
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
OH, I didn't think in the slightest that in any way you were insulting me or my son I was just trying to bring out a basic point about spearguns. And the reality that not all of us use expensive guns. I use a JBL Explorer 22 and it works very well. Missed a very nice ling last fall at point blank range got hit by a surge in 3 ft of water. If I would have put my hand down 2 inches to the right of where I did I would have put my hand right on top of him. As it was I shot under. Looking forward to Neah Bay trip in May. Also, we are having the spring opener up there Apr. 18.

Dawn Patrol
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
nice. too bad on the ling you missed. high-fives to you, fish impaler, and anyone else on here that uses JBLs.

FishNFool
04-03-2008, 10:16 PM
My buddy uses a little JBL 32 expolerer...and puts lings AWAY with that thing...no joke seems like EVERYTRIP ....the head on that shaft is like a 50cal ..he has it dble banded and dble rope wrap...its a beast...and great for crawling into caves/pokin in holes

Otis Driftwood
04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
My gun cost $12

pablo
04-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Nice Cabezon!

Dawn Patrol
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
daang that is a nice fish, AND a nice shot. where'd you get that sweet little gun?

The "Fisher"
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
My gun cost $12

U serious!?!?!?! Nice fish btw.

fish impaler
04-07-2008, 12:28 AM
nice. too bad on the ling you missed. high-fives to you, fish impaler, and anyone else on here that uses JBLs.

ive upgraded to a cressi comanche

Dawn Patrol
04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
ive upgraded to a cressi comanche

lol. ok. . .

Otis Driftwood
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
The gun was free, shooting line and band actually cost the $12

Dawn Patrol
04-08-2008, 09:36 AM
hahahah. nice.
in your avatar, is that at the bottom of the stairs at Woods Cove?

wkyongae
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Went to Neah Bay WA over the 3 day weekend vis was 20 to 30 ft all weekend long. Had a great time hunting and exploring among the rocks and kelp beds only in 5 to 15 feet of water. Shot plenty of Greenlings very nice size somewhere in the 20 to 22 inch range also the surf perch where in got a couple of them too. Got 4 lings 3 just barely legal but the first one my son shot on Sat. was a 30 incher with a little JBL D6 mini. He said the ling came around after he shot it and showed him his pearly whites to which my son put his thumb in the corning of the lings mouth and the fight was on. Got the ling on the stringer and the darn thing kept trying to take off so my son said he stabbed the ling in the head to settle him down a bit. He said with the ling trying to take off was kind of annoying. Sorry no pic's darn the luck camera had dead batteries in it and no spares. No matter how much we prepare we always forget something.

Dawn Patrol
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
yah i always forget a camera =/ goin up to port hardy, port mcneil, and campbell river on vancouver island this summer for some diving and fishing all around the untouched places. ill be sure to come back and post pics =)

kev the sea dog
06-06-2008, 10:08 PM
18 lbs (on a JBL), but I got a 17.4 pounder through the brain the other day on the gun my bro made me and popcicled it. I'll post some pics when I get the camera from my buddy. Peace.

beaver
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Not my best but not a bad one from last weekend Northern Vancouver Island.
Took 3 lings 21lbs/12lbs/10lbs some rockfish and seabass... total freezer filler trip.

best moment of the weekend slack tide on a rock face 40 ft vis. and sighting over 10 lings basking in the sun. Beautiful site....more photos to come.

Cheers.

Dawn Patrol
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
what kinda boat is that and what year??? i think thats the same kind my gramps bought (19' silverliner, 1974 make)

jimdoe2you
06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, June 2006

My world record 12'8" 1,672lb. ling

(to bad I was dressed like dork for the pic, but this florida boy was freezing his ass off :lol:)

beaver
06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Not sure about the boat it is my friends. I will ask him. It was ok to dive off but main use is for sport fishing. I will have some more pics up soon and forgot to add picked up 2 nice size puget sound king crabs as a bonus on saturday.The 2 crabs fed 7 people as they both were in the 10 lb range

Orygun
06-17-2008, 12:16 AM
A little over 19 lbs. with absolutely nothing in its belly. Notice the bullet hole.

http://www.spearboard.com/photos/data/500/medium/big_ling.jpg

Dawn Patrol
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
dang nice shot!

where was the fish taken?

Orygun
06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I shot it near Brookings Oregon. It's a town almost on the Oregon/California border. I don't know why but its really hard to find +15 lb. lings around here.

My goal is to shoot an oregon vermillion. All the hook and line guys say that they never catch them in the shallow's around here, I know if I was down by fort bragg/salt point I would already have a grip of em. But I know a couple of spots that should be holding its just really hard to have the condition's come together around here.

beaver
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Ok if I add these two up it will make my best. All in all a nice day diving. A few things about ling cod that may help in the Pacific Northwest. I have had years of diving 15+ and a chance to find spots and get an idea of behavior. Non scientific but these are my inside info/tips for lings.

1. If you are diving a current area they almost always are on the Lee side of the blow.

2. Often find my best lings on rock piles that are near a steep slope.

3. They prefer the sunny side of rock during a slack tide.

4. On a sunny day with slack tide look at the top of the rock first. They are predators and like to play "king of the hill" looking down to see what morsels may come.

KEEP your eye open at all times and make sure you have no issues with fog on your mask. Lings sit very still and blend into leaf kelp I have almost swam past 25lb ling because my mask had a bit of fog in it.

Cheers and happy hunting
Beaver

p.s. my brother in law got the "smaller" one

Hamrrhed
06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
My biggest ling was taken with a JBL, they maybe crap for open water but up along the Coast of Cali they usaully get the job done. The fish was 19lbs out of Navaro.

beaver
08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Wahoo new best. 46# in 65 ft of water. I took it with a 16 inch sea bear pneumatic.... I am not kidding.

It was one of those perfect days of diving 3 inches of tide over 3 hours. I saw close to 20 lings between 15-35 all coming up from deep to feed. I was swimming back to boat as clip on the shaft of my Prime gun broke in kelp .With 60 feet of vis.I spotted this one heading along the bottom and had no time, but to grab my tiny back up gun and give chase.

I use the sea bear for small rock fish in the 5-7 range the shaft was the same size as the width of the fishes head.

Man what a day it. Absolutely awesome. I am still smiling

Dawn Patrol
08-09-2008, 11:18 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. im drooling on my keyboard. tried to dive in mcneil, but stopped in campbell river on the way and shot a bunch of lings. by the time i was in mcneil i got an ear infection and had to go hook and line. =(

FishNFool
08-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Jesusssssssssssss

LOMartin
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, June 2006

My world record 12'8" 1,672lb. ling

(to bad I was dressed like dork for the pic, but this florida boy was freezing his ass off :lol:)

:lol:

kingfisherflesh
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey no matter what anyone says about JBLs, they are tough and durable. Although thats about all theyve got goin for them, theyll keep doing it for a long time.

Trimbandit
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
So far my best is 15lbs in Carmel. He was holed up in less than 10 feet of water.

pablo
01-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Biggest so far... but I've seen quite a bit bigger.

Calif_Diver
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
my one and only ling so far was shot with a jbl ,first time i had it in the water and the first shot at a fish,19lbs. i want a bigger better gun for halibut but ill still use the JBL over in fort bragg area, and if i lose it wont hurt to much lol.

Ron S
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
my one and only ling so far was shot with a jbl ,first time i had it in the water and the first shot at a fish,19lbs. i want a bigger better gun for halibut but ill still use the JBL over in fort bragg area, and if i lose it wont hurt to much lol.

Which JBL do you have? I know the 38 NW is really popular in Brag. A couple years ago one of my co-workers bought one. A group of us went to Brag and were tank diving in Russian Gulch. His first shot with that gun he shot what he called a huge ling. As he was trying to get it into his game bag, it got away.:eek: He fussed for days over that fish. Ironically, the very next day as we were gearing up, two Asian freedivers were coming out. One of them had a nice ling, with a spear hole in the same exact place Jeff says he shot his. Shot it in pretty much the same area his was lost as well. We were sure glad that fish didn't go to waste, and he learned an important lesson on keeping ahold of game!:thumps:

Same trip I got my first, (and so far only), ling. It measured 27", but was kinda skinny. I was heading in, also on scuba. I had my old 75cm Sporasub with only one 9/16" band pulled. I looked up and saw this ling heading towards me. As it went around me, I shot it just behind the head and pinned it to the sand.
Ron.

wkyongae
01-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I use a JBL Exployer 22 with stock band. Yes one,, placement placement is all I can say. I only free dive so I have to be right on. My son likes to tickle them with a JBL mini carbine and when they swing around to bite him he grabs um with his left thumb and hand he does not let go till they are on the stringer. Then and only then does he stab um with his knife to settle um down. 25 inch for me and 27 inch for my son.

Calif_Diver
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Ron S the one i use is a 38 special NW. do you dive bragg alot? we been goin over four or five times a year, we dive albion area mostly .but im hoping to try ocean cove area this year . maybe we can dive together some time let me know if your heading over any time.

Ron S
01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Ron S the one i use is a 38 special NW. do you dive bragg alot? we been goin over four or five times a year, we dive albion area mostly .but im hoping to try ocean cove area this year . maybe we can dive together some time let me know if your heading over any time.

Yeah I do. It's a long, (6hr) drive, but I try to head over at least once a month from April through November. I normally go on my days off, which are Monday and Tuesday, but I'll give you a holler next time I go.
Ron.

beaver
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Yoikes Pablo thats a nice fish. bet with the magnification underwater you thought about the ride you were gonna have.

what was the weight?

seen bigger? will trade beer for your spots.

I have been scouting ling locations all winter and have a few 40 plus pounders with my name tags hung around their necks. Looking forward to season opening and seeing they have been good little fish and stayed close to home.

pablo
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Walter,

The 21st Century record freediving ling is a 36 pounder taken in NorCal a few years ago. It had a 10 pound octopus in it's belly! So, if you do get a 40 lb ling make sure you get it officially weighed - I didn't and didn't submit but I think it was at least a contender. Check out the IUSA for records and rules.