PDA

View Full Version : new to the board and looking for advice

lostinutah
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey all, finnaly found a need to subscribe to this site! Seems I've found myself living in Utah, somewhat outa touch with the spear world, aside from very occasional sorties to SoCal and Baja. The local divers here tell me I should be shooting carp in the lakes:crazy:, I'd rather go skiing or biking I think?

Anyway, wife and I are headed to the Big Island for 9 days this summer (friends getting married). My wife and I figure we should bring the guns and try to maximize time in the water. (we fell in love shootin fish in the lower FL keys for 3 years prior to our current landlocked status). We're looking for advice.

For one, how is the shore fishing on the Big Island? And what would be a good book to get us up to snuff with what we can (or should) shoot? Any reasonably priced small boat rentals?...we don't need anything fancy since we tend to spend all our time in the water.

I hate to ask for sites, and I deffinately don't deserve any...I was real stingy with mine in the keys. But a couple crappy ones would be great...we're really just psyched to see some new fish! Well and to actually eat a parrot fish! They are protected in FL.

Also, we've not done any real blue water fishing. We spent most of our time on the reefs fishing 15 to 40 ft. Never took the little whaler out to deeper waters to explore the blue water. We'd like to hook up with a good charter that can take us out for day and get us into some fish. Can't find much on the internet except Bluewater hunter...looks real good based on the site and I assume some of you could confirm that.

Thanks for any advice!

Neil

element
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
The Big Island is large. Where are you staying? (I used to live on the Big Island.)

jstroup
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I used to live on Maui...I know that over there nobody really charters for spearfishing, big island might be the same way. You pretty much have to know someone with a boat if you don't want to dive from shore. You mentioned being protective of your spots in FL, its the same way over there, locals don't want any outsiders in their areas. You might try contacting some dive shops on the big island, more than likely someone can point you in the right direction, and more importantly where not to dive. Good luck...hope you get a shot on a nice size Uhu (parrot fish)!

kjflyfish
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
The local divers here tell me I should be shooting carp in the lakes:crazy:, I'd rather go skiing or biking I think?

I'd rather shoot a fish any day!!!!

Welcome and good luck in HI.

lostinutah
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
We're flying into Hilo, but don't intend to stay there too long. We figured we'd crash there for a night and then head towards the coast near Kona....from what info I've learned that looks like the best diving on the island...and that's really our priority when we are there....the wedding is social fodder and we might try to surf a day, but we suck at that.

Neil

lostinutah
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey Element, you ever fish on Lake Powell or Fish lake? We were hoping to try it this year, would be interested in some advice...like how thick does your wetsuit need to be for fish lake....looks so cold!

stupidmunky3
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
best thing you can do is go on the hawaii skin diver site ( hawaiiskindiver.com/community ) and just post in the hawaii skin diver network forum, letting people know when you'll be there and where you'll be. also, pm hawaiianbasshed on here. he's from kona side of the big island.

element
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey Element, you ever fish on Lake Powell or Fish lake? We were hoping to try it this year, would be interested in some advice...like how thick does your wetsuit need to be for fish lake....looks so cold!

I do fish both bodies of water and have spearfished both. I dove Fish Lake with a 7mm. I wouldn't do less. That lake is at a high elevation with temps usually in the 50's low 60's.

Powell is a different story. I dove it last spring (April) in my 7mm and was fine. The diving was phenomenal. Great viz, tons of fish, and that lake is so huge I didn't have to worry about boats that time of year. In the summer you could probably dive in just your trunks as its like 115 in the summer which brings the water temps up.

As for Hawaii I would stick to the Kona coast. There are lots of sharks on the Hilo side and its hard to find a decent day down there with the waves and runoff. On the Kona side there is pretty much fish anywhere. There are a couple of options you can go with dive spots. Since you are a tourist you could go to public beaches and be fine. Usually the spots where the locals live are not a good place to go diving. (Ex. someones back yard, etc.) If you see locals I would go elsewhere as they have their beaches and don't like to be bothered by the sunburnt mainlander.

The other option is this. There are miles and miles of deserted beaches if you are willing to cross the old lava fields. There are several hikes off the freeway from Kawaii Hai to Kona. Ask around and the tourist places will usually tell you where the common hikes are by the mile marker on the highway. Then get lots of water and make the 20-30 min hike out to the coast with your gear. You will never find anyone there unless they are in a boat and like I said you will find fish all along the coast.

One more thing. Don't come back with a million of fish. If you are selective and take one or two then the locals are usually fine with it. (I was never bothered and I lived there for years) I also used to carry out trash that I would find washed up on the beach. If someone messes with you just let them know you respect their land and were cleaning it up as well. You could even offer them one of your fish.

Oh yeah, if you are in Hilo on Wed or Sat hit up the farmers market. Its great and they have an open fish market so you can go check out the local fish and whats good to take.

Anyway, hope this helps.

lostinutah
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys, especially element...helps a lot!

We never take more than we can eat. I hate tossing any kind of meat, be it a deer or fish. And I grew up on an island in New England we were deffinately agressively intolerant of mainlanders trashing our beaches...same in Florida. Man lobster season in the keys was the worst....dudes in huge boats clipping and getting hung up on reefs....even worse pulling over smaller heads to get the bugs out....unreal what some folks do for a tiny lobster. Deffinately exchanged some nasty words to disrespectful boats encroaching on me. I don't blame anyone for protecting their home resourse.

We are just excited to check out the hawaiian culture and their water...and we intend to respect both to the utmost.

I hear there are some stellar night dives off the Kona coast too...we figure if we're gonna put on tanks that would be time.

Anyone reccomend a good dive shop in Kona for that?...not looking for a fancy boat with caviar on board. Couple of brews and a hot dog would be nice though.

On those coast beach hikes....any regulations on camping on those beaches? Or reccomended camping areas period? ....cheap places to stay? Yeah, we're low end travelers.

thanks again....sorry for the continued questions, just like to have our options dialed in to make the most of this trip. This is sweet board!

neil

element
03-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I have heard the night diving outside Keauhou harbor is neat as you can dive with manta rays. There are a lot of dive shops in Kona, but I cant recommend any as I freedive and would just get all my equipment from Blue Water Hunters. They are near Costco in Kona.

There isn't a whole lot of "beach" on those hikes as they are old lava fields. Maybe a small stretch if you are lucky. So unless you want to sleep on razor sharp rocks I wouldn't recommend it. There are very few spots that have sand. Most places you have to have a camping permit also. Best bet is to contact the DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources - (808) 974-6200) and ask for a permit and if you can camp anywhere. I bet the answer is no.

Nothing cheap in Hawaii, but there are a few motels in Kona. Just do some Google searches.

The local divers here tell me I should be shooting carp in the lakes, I'd rather go skiing or biking I think?

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read that. When you are in Hawaii you can shoot carp there too. Here is one I caught in an old sugar cane pond on the Big Island. ;)

Carp here in Utah are target practice while we are hunting for others species. I don't know anyone that goes just to shoot carp.

stupidmunky3
03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
another thing- go on http://hawaiiskindiver.net/gallery/index.php and look through as many pages as you can. familiarize yourself with the fish that were shot. those are usually the good eating ones. you'll see lots of other fish while you are in the water too but a lot of them are not good eating. so whatever you do, make sure you can recognize the fish in the photo gallery. those are the ones you will be targeting.

zenspearo
03-11-2008, 12:53 AM
jack's diving locker in Kona is a good shop. I went there when I attended PFI last year.

www.jacksdivinglocker.com/