PDA

View Full Version : jbl 6 ft. in Bahamas

classtimesailer
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Headed to Long Island, Bahamas this June. My son and I have 6 ft. JBLs one slip tip and one paralyzer that we've been using in California's Santa Monica Bay. How should we accesorize our JBLs for the trip with the idea of eventually upgrading to Gat-Kus, Ray Odors, or Many Puigs for use here at home and abroad? New bands? New tips? extensions? We are newbie spearos here at home and we'll be very green in the bahamas. Thanks for any advice.

LakeHunter
03-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Instead of outfitting the JBL's with the knowledge that you will eventually upgrade, you might just want to invest in the gat-ku/odor/puig now. The learning curve wont be gigantic polespear to polespear. Also, you can order odor's and gat-ku's pretty much customized.

As for tips, i'd definitely grab a single flopper. Single flopper tips are my favorite for polespears.

Bent Tip
03-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I got a lot of mileage out of a 30 inch extension for my JBL travel polespear. Cheap and reversible if you don't like it. Have fun.

Man-O-War
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
JBL 6ft is perfect for bahamas. Either sliptip, or even better double barb flopper tip. Paralyzer is risky, as escaped fish will attract sharks quickly. And I mean quickly.

Pirate Dave
03-10-2008, 07:12 PM
i used to use with a 6 ft in the bahamas but fouind it very short

upgrade before the trip or at the very leat get extensions.

jbspear91
03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
luve ur spelieng therre Dave:lol: ...and if you are going from cali to the bahamas, im sure youll enjoy the vast difference between hunting styles with the warm, chrystal clear waters of the Atlantic

classtimesailer
03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Is there much difference between a single and a double flopper? AND if you've been OK with the JBL, and I need a new band should I replace it with a standard JBL polespear band or....AND if sharks are always so close, should we immediately ditch our game on shore before going out for more? (We'll be diving from shore most days.)
Thanks again,
Jeff

kjflyfish
03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
The double flopper is a bit of a misnomer - it's actually a spinning rock point that screws onto a threaded shaft, like those made by JBL and AB Biller. If you go with one, make sure to use teflon tape or loc-tite.

If you are shorediving and worried about sharks, you could look into building a "plat".

Check it out here: http://www.ronsseacorner.co.nz/photos_Plat.htm

kickemall
03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Can't tell you about the Bahamas but I can tell you to get the Ray Odor spear. It breaks down into two foot sections so you can just throw it in your suitcase. His customer service (as they all seem to be) is exceptional. It comes ready to go with a single flopper and short extension for your own slip tip if you want to use one. Hits like a ton. And to have it delivered to your door for sixty bucks (about a third of what you'll pay for similar) is amazing. If you want it longer just ask for an extra section then if you bend one your still in business. Good Luck.

OceanEd
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
KJFLYFISH is correct about the spear tip. Get a spinning rockpoint with a double barb. They are the best for hunting grouper that can jam themselves back in holes. They are also great for shooting lobster (legal in the Bahamas) because the tip will not dull or break as easily as some others.

You will have much better visibility in Long Island than where you are used to diving. Because of this, you will be much more successful with a longer pole spear. I would recommend 8' or 9' for a number of reasons. Also, customize your pole with a larger diameter rubber (I like 1/2" black tubing with a small hole in the middle which makes for thicker tubing walls). Cut the tubing so that at maximum pull you are holding the pole spear about 5 feet from the rear end of the pole. Take some self amalgamating tape (you can get it at Home Depo. or Lowe's in the plumbing section) and wrap some around the pole at the place you will be holding the tubing when it is fully cocked. This will give you a better grip so you can hold the pole in the cocked position longer.

Make sure you wear good gloves. I would recommend either woven kevlar gloves or the Akona kevlar gloves. Otherwise you will tear up your hands.

If you will be there during lobster season take a good UW light with you. Have a wrist lanyard on it and dive with it. I recommend the UK SL light that used 4 C cells. That's because you can dive down with your pole spear cocked in one hand and the light in your other hand. Then you can turn this light on ONE HANDED with its switch when you get to a hole where lobster or fish are holed up.

Where will you be diving on Long Island? Clarencetown on the E. Coast? West side of the island? Northern Tip? The quality of the spearing varies greatly depending on where you are.

classtimesailer
03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
thanks for the tips Ed.
We'll be about halfway between Deadmans Cay and Stella Marris. I hope to have bicycles to have regular access to both east and west sides. Google earth shows deeeper water (better spearfishing?) on east side (We'll be flyfishing for bones on west side). We'll take your advice on bands. What is the best(frugal) way to turn our 6 ft. JBLs into 8 footers?---trying to avoid too many adapters.

BTW, love Melbourne. My wife and I got married there on a sailboat. Had a wonderful dinnner for 8 at some harbor-side restaurant and had to leave a huge feeding frenzy of (what I thought might be) kingfish in the surf in front of our hotel the next morning.

Kirby
03-13-2008, 10:59 PM
If your JBLs are breakdown models you can order a new section. If it is a solid pole than you can't do much other than extend the tip out with a long adaptor. I wouldn't do this. The adaptors that I've used bend too easily. I would just get a new polespear or a speargun. But hopefully you have the travel models of JBL.

carsonwild
03-14-2008, 04:38 AM
you can get a 6'8" jbl breakdown polespear from leisurepro
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_967/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d223/JBL2D80.html?Hit=1

this place has all kinds of jbl stuff
http://scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/catalogue/jbl_spearguns.php

here the 6' brake down polespear
http://scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/948.php

and heres the 24-30 " Extention
http://scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/952.php

heres the Rotating Twin Spinner Rock Point
http://scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/964.php

good luck with the hunting.:thumps:
Carson

OceanEd
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Great information, Carson.

You can also talk to Mike Dammas at FloridaFreediver. He is on the board. Mike carries more types of pole spears than almost anyone. You can also talk to Ray Odor. He makes a great pole spear that comes in sections.

If you are going to be on the West coast there are some great coral heads up at the north west end of the island, around Joe's Sound. There is also some good spearing up at the north East corner of the island because there is a distinct drop off offshore there.

It sounds like you plan on diving from shore, without a boat? If so this will limit your diving quite a lot. Not only because you can not get to a lot of the dive spots by swimming from shore. Even more important is the fact that you really do not want to be swimming in the water out there, towing fish around with you. It is much better to have a boat or dinghy to get the fish out of the water as soon as possible. Also be aware of the currents up at the North end of the island.

deepdestroyer
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Steven, I will be in the exumas which I know is very close to long island. Are there any areas there you would consider better than others?