PDA

View Full Version : Polespear choices

elnq
03-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone:

I have a dilemma here with which I hope you can help me out. I have been spearfishing for over a couple of years now, but always with the use of spearguns. I am now thinking about trying out polespears but I can't make up my mind about which one to buy. I am trying to avoid walking into what happened to me when I first began spearfishing. I first bought a 1.2 RA and soon enough wanted a bigger gun so I went for a 1.4 and now I recently got a beautiful Magnum Hybrid from Daryl Wong.
So I am hoping that with your advice I will be able to chose a polespear that can be a good allround polespear, and ideally one that can break down to a maneagable size for travelling.
I had already made up my mind and had decided to go for an 8ft gat-ku with a slip tip. But I am now undecided because I think it only breaks down into two 4ft pieces which I reckon won't fit very well into a regular suitcase.
So, any ideas??

Thanks a lot.
elnq

SnpperWhisperer
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
elnq - just like with spearguns, it really depends on what your target species is that you are hunting and where. More info is required for people to answer your question.

elnq
03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, like I said, I've never used a polespear before, so I am not sure what I can hope for. But, I will be doing most of my dives in the Mexican Pacific, so I guess I will be targeting mainly different kinds of pargos (snapper), cabrillas which are a small kind of grouper, an ocassional rainbow runner and other fish I am guessing up to 4kgs. I've seen some videos of divers taking some fair sized barracudas with them, but I guess that will take a while to work my way up to.
Thanks again

kjflyfish
03-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you will be diving 30-60 feet after wary fish with lots of power that will quickly take you into the rocks. I'd say a 9 foot Gat-Ku or Christ spear with double barb spinner or flopper tips. What do you think TSW? Another option is the Manny Puig spear - used successfully in Bermuda for monster black grouper.

kickemall
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Take a look at Ray Odor's pole spear at spearfishingcc.com. Breaks down into two ft. sections, hits a ton, can get extra sections if you want it longer and less than half the price of anything out there. Quality weapon and excellent customer service.

mnguy
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
If you're after cabrilla and pargo, I'd recommend against the Gat-Ku. Don't get me wrong, I like them alot, but I've seen a couple of them fail on big fish in caves/rocks. I hear good things about the crist spears, though I haven't used them yet.

If its mostly triggerfish, burrito grunts and other smaller things, then pretty much anything will work, though longer is generally better.

elnq
03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys. I think I am gonna go for the Ray Odor polespear. I really like the fact that they break down into a very manageable travel size, and I can appreciate the difference in $$$$.

Thanks again.

Regards,

ELNQ

SnpperWhisperer
03-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm organising a spear from Aaron Crist, they sound pretty good, so will wait and see. I only want it for shooting large yellowtail because I am very happy with my Manny Puig spear for large reef fish, or my 3 prong for small reef fish.

Travass
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Does this Aaron Crist have a website, I am also looking to purchase a good all around pole spear.

fish impaler
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
http://members.cox.net/azspearo/

azspearo
04-29-2008, 12:43 AM
My website is not current but it will give you an idea of what a one piece spear looks like.
I currently make 4' and 6' one-piece, 6' and 8' two-piece and a 3-piece 9' spear.
The length of the spear is just the pole itself. You can make it longer with different length shafts.
The shafts that come standard on the 4' and 6' spears are 12" and 18" for the 8' and 9' spears.
Custom length shafts can be made up to 4'.

If you want a current price list let me know.

Travass
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
those are some awsome looking spears I don't have enough money to get one now but some time in the near future you may hear from me.

njspearo
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
very nice polespears,
also, fish impaler what is that in your avatar, did you shoot it?

White Shark
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Crist Spears. They're all custom made to fit your needs. Give Aaron a call and he'll fix you up with something specific to your style of hunting. They have features not found on other spears. Better grip, set screws to secure the shaft, all individually hand made, etc. Aaron has training as a machinist and builds to tight tolerances. Good stuff.

Bulit7
05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Curiosity: What are some good reasons for using a pole spear other than quick follow up shots and hunting where a gun is illegal (like Bahamas) ??

patrick
05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Curiosity: What are some good reasons for using a pole spear other than quick follow up shots and hunting where a gun is illegal (like Bahamas) ??

because it's fun!

Bulit7
05-04-2008, 06:14 PM
because it's fun!

:thumps::thumps:

SnpperWhisperer
05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I use mine for the same reasons I freedive instead of scuba, and kayak inseatd of taking a boat. It's the same reason bow hunters would give you for not using a gun: Less is more.
I suspect from your pictures that you might prefer a gun over a pole spear as you clearly appreciate awesome techology. That's cool too, but it's just not my scene.

patrick
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
to add a bit of my opinion, i use mine when im looking for lobster, due to CA law about hooked implements... cant dive with a gun in ca when bagging lobster.. also, in low vis reef situations, its a much bigger advantage to get off 3 5' shots in 3 seconds than to shoot once, 4x further than i can see... also, its just nice sometimes(in summer) to get out there in some boardshorts and duck feet and nail some fish!

fish impaler
05-05-2008, 12:31 AM
it still takes me like over a minute to reload my gun and under 5 seconds to reload my pole spear

Bulit7
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
I use mine for the same reasons I freedive instead of scuba, and kayak inseatd of taking a boat. It's the same reason bow hunters would give you for not using a gun: Less is more.
I suspect from your pictures that you might prefer a gun over a pole spear as you clearly appreciate awesome techology. That's cool too, but it's just not my scene.

I like all kinds of diving. If it has to do with water, I'm in. I started out as a freediver. Just that for larger fish I like guns and float lines. Shoot it and let go! I do understand what you are saying about primitive weapons being an archery hunter myself. And there is nothing low tech about todays modern compound bow setups!!:thumps:

Let me tell you that I started out diving with home made pole spears made of long rebar and surgical rubber.

I knew about the ease in reloading and retstricted area hunting. Low vis is another good reason. With the line up of awesome pole spears out there it makes me want one!

hardway
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree 100% with the other answers given here as to why I hunt with a polespear, but let me add one more.
A burly polespear like the one I carry (Crist 6' or 4' single piece) is a powerful and sturdy weapon that can deliver one or many deadly or incapacitating strikes to a very large animal.
I've had to use mine to fight multiple seals off my fish, and the damn sealions can be even more tenacious (I usually try to avoid hunting around them all together). I know that I will most likely never see a great white coming, but if I do that bastard will take some damage.
Bottom line: I feel like I have a fighting chance against most things that might want to mess with me when I've got my harpoon. Spear gun, not so much.

SnpperWhisperer
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, good point. If you look at pictures of old whale harpoons, they are actually very similar looking to our modern grunty pole spears. If I was Japanese/Norwegian/Inuit I'd be thinking about it...

mnguy
05-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Sometimes if I've pushed my dive a little farther, longer or deeper than I ought to or if I get sucked into a sea cave or tangled in something, I'll put my tip on the bottom/back of the cave and use the polespear to launch me back towards the surface. I can remember a couple of times where I might not have made it back up without that extra push.

Can't really do that with a gun either.

White Shark
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Polespears are cool. I've nailed plenty of fish experimenting with different methods. I don't always use the band, sometimes it's cool to stalk and jab, but you'd better be quick.

Somehow it's more satisfying due to it's primal and basic nature. Call it caveman style. My degree is in Archaeology and after spending years studying hunter/gatherers, it's pretty cool to try to see things a bit from their perspective. I'm keeping the wetsuit, fins, and mask though. :D

wilander
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
If you are looking for a top of the line, strong pole spear check out Sea Stinger. They are graphite with stainless steel, and they break down. I have had alot of success taking fish that most would never try with a pole spear. Much better than those tent-pole break-down aluminum jobbies.

www.seastinger.com

SnpperWhisperer
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah it looks interesting, I'd love to try one out for myself and see if what they say is true. I must admit that I am a little skeptical that a 1 pound spear can have enough penetration with a sliptip for fish over 20 pounds, but someone must be able to confirm that by experience?

mnguy
05-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah it looks interesting, I'd love to try one out for myself and see if what they say is true. I must admit that I am a little skeptical that a 1 pound spear can have enough penetration with a sliptip for fish over 20 pounds, but someone must be able to confirm that by experience?

I thought the same thing myself, though to be fair the website says it's 2 pounds with the tip. Even if it goes way faster, the second it hits that fish all the inertia is going to stop without much mass behind it, especially on shots towards the end of the line. I also wonder about the lack of weight vis a vis water resistance and potentially ripping currents on the shot. Seems like it would be good for smaller reef fish that aren't that skittish, where speed is necessary, ranges are shorter and long range power not so much.

You could probably load up on baitfish, small greenback macks or even small jacks for burley with that thing and a 3 prong.