PDA

View Full Version : slinging in the Bahamas

jonahtribe2
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, I am looking into planning a dive trip to the Bahamas. Im really interested in the out islands and was curious what offers the best spearing for shore or kayak based diving. Crooked, Long,acklins, inagua? Ive looked all over the net and cant find much on dive conditions for the out islands.
Thanks,
ryan

grouperdude
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
spanish is good so is carters and grand. as long as u dont mind seeing sharks.

GivmeGills
03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Inagua has some nice reef within paddling distant of the Island , but as keegan said be prepared for sharks when you start shootin..

njspearo
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
abacos

Dieseldoctor250
03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
spanish is good so is carters and grand. as long as u dont mind seeing sharks.

Alright here it goes, were getting into my favorite subject here.
FIRST, how are you going to get there? Boat? Plane?
My favorite Island is grand / walkers, the furthest north of the abaco chain. If you fly into walkers, you can have "Rosies" on Grand come and pick you up, or you can stay at Mad max's and Jolly will come and get you. It's not exactly "chamber of commerace" though, you can talk a local into taking you out in his boat for a few bucks and he'll take you to all the good spots. Or you can rent one of Rosie's boats. That's what I would do. It would be the cheapest and best hunting! just bring a local with you. You will kill more and the law won't mess with you near as much. If you have your own boat and it's bigger than 35ft or draws more than 3-4 feet of water, you may want to stay away from there, the harbor is a bit shallow, however I have seen 60ft+ boats in there before.

http://www.rosiesplace.com/

He's good people, very trustworthy.

If you have your own boat you can stay on, go to Spanish Cay, it's a bit expensive if you get a room, but they have a good dock. I get less experienced as you get further south in the islands.I like the exumas and Turks and Cacos as well. But like I said I have killed a larger viriety of bigger fish right there in north abaco.

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 07:25 AM
i would be flying into nassua and taking boat. Looking at the exumas. Found place on sterling cay that has reasonable cabins and also rents boats. The more islands i look at the more trouble I have planning. They all look interesting. Whens the best time to go to the Bahamas? and how much extra sling shafts should i bring for a week?

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I ment staniel cay not sterling

OceanEd
03-30-2008, 08:02 AM
When you say you are flying into Nassau and then taking a boat does that mean you will be taking one of the "mail" boats from Nassau to the island where you will stay and then you will stay in a hotel, or will you be boarding a private boat in Nassau and then heading down to the islands you mention and you will be staying on the boat? It makes a very big difference on where you will be able to go and what you can do.

If it is a private boat:

What is the draft of the boat?

What speed will it go?

How long do you have for the trip (makes a big difference if you are only going to have a week and you want to go from Nassau to places like Ackllins or Inagua?

Is the boat set up so you can be self sufficient for your trip (fuel, food, water) or will you need to replace any of the above while on the trip?

Are you comfortable anchoring out all the time and is the boat set up for it?

What depths are you comfortable diving?

grouperdude
03-30-2008, 08:15 AM
how good are you with a sling?
id bring AT LEAST 3.
if you have to put more than one shaft into a fish.

Dieseldoctor250 the farther north you go the less over fished it is
spanish north is very good. in my opinion there is no need to go father south like man o war and great guana are over fished

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 08:36 AM
It would be either a "mail boat" or ferry service, not private. Week and half to 2 weeks. the charter flights were pricey.

Dieseldoctor250
03-30-2008, 10:47 AM
yea, that's why I stay up this way. Not to metion there are less tourists.

OceanEd
03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
If you stil want to go south and east in the Bahamas with the Exumas as your starting place you will take one of the boats that will get you down to Georgetown on Exuma Island in the southers Exumas. It is usually an overnight run on the Mail Boat. You wil probably be staying at the Peace & Plenty and you will need to either rent a boat from Minns Watersports or find a local to take you out. Unfortunately, unless you charter a plane or boat from there it can be tough to go anywhere else.

You can go to Long Island. There are several hotels, one up at the north end of the island, and several and a dive resort on the west coast. Once again you will have to find a local to take you out.

Acklilns & Crooked has some amazing spearing, especially on the south & east coasts, but there is nothing there and no way to get there unless you are on a self sufficient boat.

Conception Island has good spearfishing on the north west reefs and on the reefs that are several miles north and east of the island. You could spear on the south side but it is VERY sharky. The island is uninhabited.

When you get down to the south/east Bahamas you are really limited unless you have a cruising boat to use as a base. This makes for great diving, but is frustrating if you have to rely on hotels and boats.

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
thanks for the info ed, from searching the other posts you seem to be the guy to talk to about the bahamas. As to staniel cay, are there good spots around that area within range of small boat?
thanks,
ry

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 02:49 PM
looking into the chamberlain cottages.

grouperdude
03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
yea, that's why I stay up this way. Not to metion there are less tourists.

nippers is always fun though:thumps:

OceanEd
03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Ry:

You can either fly into Staniel or get there by boat. There are cottages there you can rent as Jonahtribe2 stated. Also, take extra shafts as grouperdude said. There is a VERY smal/basicl market/store at Staniel where you can buy some basics, but you will probably end up eating most if not all your meals at the Staniel Cay Yacht club (don't panic, it is very basic).

Very little diving on the west (the banks) side of Staniel until you get out a number of miles and then there are some reefs. Nothing on the banks is over 14 feet deep. There are reefs on the east side and they extend out as far/deep as you can dive. That area is under pressure from local divers from Staniel and Black Point who not only freedive but use hookah. There are fish and lobster but you have to be pretty good and willing to spend a fair amount of time in the water to get them.

I have pulled grouper, hogfish, jacks, silver margate, etc. out of that area. You can also take your fish to the Yacht Club and they used to cook it up for you.

Take everything you need with you. There is not a lot there.

I spent 3 days there about a month ago so I know everything is up and running.

A friend of mine is living on his 50ft catamaran just north of Staniel. If you can reach him on the VHF radio he might go diving with you. He is extremely good and works 50 to 70 ft. depths. He knows the area. His name is Monty Steel and his boat is Green Turtle.

jonahtribe2
03-30-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks ed,
i get overwhelmed with all the options in the bahamas. Im not set on the exumas, just a rough plan. I like remoteness so any other really good ideas for areas would be appreciated. I also heard rumor that you can hunt pigs on crooked and inagua. Would be neat to do a "Lord of the Flies" type trip. maybe thread a broadhead on the manny puig for throwing:thumps: