PDA

View Full Version : One more question on Wong and Poseidonsub

Bill McIntyre
05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I hesitate to risk fanning the flames again, there was a comment made in that closed thread last night, and I went to bed too early to ask this question before the thread got closed.

Someone said that the barrel of Poseidonsub guns extended into the wood all the way to the handle, while the Wong barrels extended just a few inches.

I have all my Wong hybrids drilled for reels, and I am always careful to drill aft of the barrel so that I won't put a hole in it and cause the barrel to fill with water. If the barrel of the Poseidonsub extends all the way to the handle, how do you mount reels without piercing the barrel?

For all I know, the wood below the barrel is thick enough so that you can mount a reel as long as you are careful with the depth of the hole.

I have a feeling I may have asked this question long ago and received an answer. If so, forgive my short term memory loss.

I beg everyone, please don't start a general argument over relative merits of different brands. I'm just curious about that one point. If it gets out of hand, I'll delete the thread myself.

Durango
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Very carefully, you shold be able to gauge the thickness of the wood where the barrel enters the wood stock and make conservative adjustments for maximum depth to have the reel pplaced. What I would do since it is a custom gun is just have Steve Veros or even Daryl do it for thatmatter so it is done perfectly with no risk of screwing up the gun.

metelin
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
bill i thought i already answered your question in the past but since there seems to be a lingering question i don't mind doing it again.

on my mojos, i currently install the barrels 6'' from of the trigger mech regardless of the length of the gun (older units had barrels inserted from 2-4''). the hybrid pros have barrels inserted anywhere from 13-8'' depending on length. i do this because thats what i'm comfortable with and it works for me.

regarding the possibility of punching a hole in the barrel while installing a reel, i suppose anything is possible that why i have a warranty. i currently use and recommend the hammerhead remoras and the rob allen reels for my guns because i feel they are the best reels on the market and i like the slide-on bracket they both come with. i screw and epoxy the bracket to the bottom of the gun and the customer is free to remove or attach the reel as he chooses (the bracket is about 1/4'' thick and imo does not effect the look or performance of the gun). for other reels i install inserts that are epoxied in place. i would prefer to install the reel when i make the gun but it's not totally necessary, i would gladly install one at any point (at n/c) or the customer may install it, of course i would be glad to provide all the support to get it done right.

forums by definition are intended for open discussions of all sorts of things, from technic to equipment and i have no problems with most content. i feel as ideas are freely exchanged the sport is advanced and we all benefit. we have never had so many talented and committed people competing for such a small market and i think the end result is a better product at a competitive price, stop bickering and enjoy it.

steve

Bill McIntyre
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
bill i thought i already answered your question in the past but since there seems to be a lingering question i don't mind doing it again.

Well, as I said in the first post, I had this suspicion that you or someone had answered it before, but I'm afraid I just couldn't remember. Thanks for your patience. I'll try to remember this time.

carsonwild
05-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Metelin I have a question about your guns.
I Well be using the gun in Gulf of the coast of Texas.
I well be hunting Ling,Wahoo,Tuna in blue water.
I wanted to know if the 55" or the 60" Mojo stick or the Hybrid pro would be better for what i want to do.
Thank you.
Carson

Blackfoot
05-31-2008, 08:11 PM
well...you learn something new everyday. :thumps:

bluedog
05-31-2008, 08:33 PM
well, before you figure out what gun you should get...you may want to spend some time figuring out what type of fish belong in blue water and what fish belong in reefs.

last i checked....Ling (ling cod) is a bottom dwelling fish in rocks, reefs, holes, etc. Unless of course "ling" is code for something else? :rolleyes:

will

Cobia are also called Ling in this area. Testicles are sometimes referred to as cod.

carsonwild
05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
We have reefs out in the blue water called oil rigs. And yes we call Cobia-Ling in my neck of the woods.
Blue water for me is blue water of any depth.We get blue water 80 feet of water or less.
All fish have different names all around the world.
So have a with all the fish's in the sea.
Carson

matt888
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't dive oil rigs, but do freedive spear the Gulf out of Tampa. Not much true "bluewater" per say around here, but I do enjoy using the Voodoo stick when on dedicated "large" fish hunting like lings, Kings, and Jacks. Otherwise, I'd consider the Mojo or other hybrid he makes as I believe it is a great type of gun for bridging the reef and bluewater realm. Sounds like you're just interested in a dedicated weapon though and the voodoo will get the job done. Good luck!

Murk Monster
05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
I would go with hybrid pro with the semi-enclosed track, 5\16 shaft and three 5\8 bands. Tack on a good slip-tip and reel for cobia, and a floatline for tuna. As far as length I like a 55 inch gun for negotiating aroung rig poles. Just my .02

patrick
06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
id hate to be the guy to un-derail a thread, as it's totally going to ruin my reputation, but just to share my install with you, bill, i thought id post up some photos. i installed my reel as close to the handle as i possibly could, because 'apnea_complex' had told me about how the barrel was inserted so far into the wood. used some short ~#10 wood screws, the flathead countersink ones, and i didnt hear a crack. my barrel doesnt have any water in it, either. maybe its because theres no screw thru the barrel, maybe its because the pilot hole was super small so the screws have good purchase and seal the holes up. i might swap this reel out for the rob allen one if the holes are the same, i dont really trust the cheap steel part that slides onto the bracket.. seems to bend real easy..
(photos are adapted for use here, didnt feel like doing a photo shoot at 5am on a sunday :sleep:)

carsonwild
06-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Patrick is the gun on the right Hybrid Pro?
Do you guys that use a hybrid spear gun prefer carbon fiber barrel or Titanium barrel guns.
I have a 120cm carbon fiber Rabitech Apex I use for the rigs and some open water.
I want to get a bigger for larger fish that is why i am looking a hybrids.
Carson

patrick
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
yeah it is. i like carbon fiber because thats what i got used out of the members section. never tried a ti pipe.. not sure its any different, but mine sure looks much more like a race car...

spearguam
06-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Patrick,
What gun is that on the left? How big is it?
Nice pair of guns you have there.
Thanks.

patrick
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
that would be a gil gacula special.
62" spear diver striker. damn thing drives tacks.
***********.com

carsonwild
06-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Sorry Bill didn't mean to steal your post but i have more questions.
I guess ill start a new thread on this subject.
Thanks
Carson